Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
block with lvm2 & cryptsetup (static? (!udev) )
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdauth
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:25 am    Post subject: block with lvm2 & cryptsetup (static? (!udev) ) Reply with quote

Hello, an update this morning asks me to disable udev for lvm2 & cryptsetup since I have static enabled for both, lvm2 (static static-libs) cryptsetup (static); why this change ? How to solve that ?

Code:
!!! The ebuild selected to satisfy "sys-fs/lvm2" has unmet requirements.
- sys-fs/lvm2-2.02.188-r2::gentoo USE="readline static static-libs thin udev -device-mapper-only -lvm2create_initrd -sanlock (-selinux) -systemd"

The following REQUIRED_USE flag constraints are unsatisfied:
    static? ( !udev ) static-libs? ( !udev )

The above constraints are a subset of the following complete expression:
    device-mapper-only? ( !lvm2create_initrd !sanlock !thin ) static? ( !systemd !udev ) static-libs? ( !udev ) systemd? ( udev )

!!! The ebuild selected to satisfy ">=sys-fs/cryptsetup-1.6.7:0/12=" has unmet requirements.
- sys-fs/cryptsetup-2.3.6-r2::gentoo USE="argon2 nls openssl pwquality reencrypt static udev urandom -gcrypt -kernel -nettle -static-libs"

The following REQUIRED_USE flag constraints are unsatisfied:
    static? ( !udev )

The above constraints are a subset of the following complete expression:
    exactly-one-of ( gcrypt kernel nettle openssl ) static? ( !gcrypt !udev )

log says "drop udev static libs" without much info.

https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/commit/sys-fs/cryptsetup?id=b128813dd6945ed3fdf3e2016d724128dfb8cad7
https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/commit/sys-fs/lvm2?id=b5b6979703ec61977aa6a597f2ca5cb330e8c30b
https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/commit/virtual/libudev?id=529733744b4dab5a5a30c30e47c306c319c71547
sdauth
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, I only need static for my initramfs.
So right now I have two option, either :

permanently remove static, static-libs for lvm2 / cryptsetup and copy needed libs to the initramfs
-> it adds 1.3M to the initramfs
Except the initramfs is slightly bigger, this works fine.

or

rebuild temporarily lvm2 & cryptsetup (without udev) before generating the initramfs
Code:
USE="static static-libs -udev" emerge -1q sys-fs/lvm2
USE="static -udev" emerge -1q sys-fs/cryptsetup
init_gen.sh

then emerge again (without static), binpkg is handy of course.
Code:
emerge -1q sys-fs/cryptsetup sys-fs/lvm2

Works fine as well.

Still, it would be nice to know the reason for this change.

Last edited by sdauth on Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't really follow the situation but it sparked from this:

https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/20600

Gentoo already barely support static linking, and if upstream doesn't care (closing bug reports and leaving it broken for us to fix) then it seems reasonable to drop.
sdauth
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link Ionen.
Well.. I will choose the no static lib option. I can afford the bigger initramfs on my desktop. Other option would be to use slashbeast's better-initramfs ( https://github.com/slashbeast/better-initramfs ) to avoid headaches.
ExecutorElassus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

somebody please explain to me like I'm stupid why this issue affects a system like mine that doesn't have systemd on it at all.
Hu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, the presence of systemd in the cited URL is an unfortunate red herring caused by the systemd project assuming control of the udevd project. The question is not whether your system uses systemd. The question is whether your system uses udevd. Second, the problem is that the systemd-udevd code uses a poorly chosen (excessively generic) name for a symbol, then relies on linker tricks to avoid collisions, instead of marking the symbol as static.[1] Additionally, due to the linker tricks that upstream does use, this problem only impacts people who use static libraries. Various upstreams provide different levels of support for static libraries, but I think it's fair to say that, for most projects, such support tends to be a low priority. The systemd project is a bit surprising in their refusal to apply a simple and targeted fix for a known problem, but it's not uncommon to find projects that have static linking related problems.

[1]: static would only work if the symbol was only used in one translation unit. If it needs to be used across multiple translation units in the udevd project, it cannot be static - but it could be given a better name.
ExecutorElassus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds an awful lot like systemd is pursuing MS's old embrace-extend-extinguish tactics. So I guess I'll be trying to figure out how to use better-initramfs to get my initramfs set up.

(my use-case is that I have / and /usr on LVMs, and thus need to pre-mount them prior to mounting real root)

Cheers,

EE
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: