xrandr not identifying screen on fresh installed Gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meabh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:32 am    Post subject: xrandr not identifying screen on fresh installed Gentoo Reply with quote

Not my first installation, I was doing it with this guide https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOXJrL5mZfs&t=2000s by Ethannij. It worked on my laptop, worked once on my current machine, but this time something got wrong. During installation process my screen was identified and I got normal resolution. After I booted into the system, I saw that I have too small resolution for some reason, installed Xorg, dwm and everything needed for it and tried to
Code:
startx
My monitor showed "Input signal out of range" and that's all. Since xrandr isn't working in tty (can't get at least a bit of information) and I can't get into my WM, i added
Code:
xrandr >> $HOME/xoutput.txt
in my .xinitrc. The output is:
Code:
Screen 0: minimum 720 x 400, current 720 x 400, maximum 720 x 400
default connected 720x400+0+0 0mm x 0mm
720 x 400    0.00*

My monitor is 1440x900. What can cause this and how can I possibly fix it?
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xorg startup is logged into Xorg.0.log, look at it. You can use app-text/wgetpaste if you would like us to look at it. Stepping thru available modes with Ctrl+Alt+Plus/Minus is not working for you?
meabh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really sorry for not answering for that long, I tried to fix it myself many times and after a week I did it. I'll explain what problems I got and what I've done.
First time when I compiled the kernel I booted in and got that issue with resolution, after some thinking process I realized I haven't set support for my graphics in kernel. My GPU is ATI Radeon HD 4200, so I tried "Radeon" option. When I recompiled kernel and tried to boot in - I couldn't (stuck on some lines about initializing graphics). Tried AMDGPU - same, only VGA graphics support - successfully booted but same issue. I decided to change grub config, after changing GFXMODE to 1024x768 and GFXPAYLOAD to "keep" I was now stuck on "Loading *Kernel version*...".

Today I reinstalled Gentoo by following Handbook only, enabled everything I thought might be useful from "lsmod" output and something changed. Now I was stuck on "fb0: Switching to radeondrmfb from VESA VGA". I googled a bit and found some guys with the same problem on VirtualBox, somebody recommended to boot with "nomodeset" and I gave it a try. Now I successfully booted in, got that 1024x768 resolution. Thanks for that info you gave me, tho it didn't help me (because I wasn't answering), it was quite useful to learn about what's in Xorg log, where it is located and about "wgetpaste".

Last edited by meabh on Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
meabh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Xorg.0.log - https://dpaste.com/8M549EXRM
I'd like to know what do you mean by stepping through available modes? What are those modes? Where are they from?
Also, I got another kind of issue right now, I fixed it by installing xf86-video-vesa, but since xrandr can't identify my screen, it shows "Signal out of range" on my display.
meabh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried chrooting in my Gentoo through Xubuntu, xrandr from here shows:
Code:
No protocol specified
Can't open display :0.0

After googling a bit I saw people doing this:
Code:
export DISPLAY=:0

So I did:
Code:
xrandr -d DISPLAY

Now output is missing "No protocol specified", but still can't open the display.
Hu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to man xrandr, -d is short for --display, so xrandr -d DISPLAY tells it to connect to an Xorg display named DISPLAY. This is extremely unlikely to work, as displays are normally of the form optional-hostname:display-number. :0 is very common. You probably are not getting No protocol specified because it is unable to connect to a display, and so cannot discover that it lacks permission to connect. Since you are in a chroot, you will need to propagate the Xauthority data into the chroot.

xrandr connects to and queries the Xorg server, so if Xorg is not up, you cannot use xrandr. This is likely why you cannot get it to work while in console mode.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: