Corsair HS70 wireless headset no sound
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ash97777
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:36 pm    Post subject: Corsair HS70 wireless headset no sound Reply with quote

Hi all,

Got my first Gentoo install working finally (thanks to this forum)- however my wireless headset doesn't want to work. I have scoured the internet and found out that Corsair doesnt support Linux however on every other distro this headset has worked perfectly. So what to I need to do to get it working on Gentoo?

Any help would be appreciated :)
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linux kernel handles all hardware. In order to enable correct driver in kernel user must know the nature of new hardware. "Wireless Headset" does not qualify. There are many protocols and frequency bands to establish connection using radio waves. Very popular for gadgets like yours is Bluetooth. Is yours Bluetooth? Next, is it using its own transmitter or it connects to a generic transmitter? If it has its own, is it a USB device? Then, since this is an audio device, are you using ALSA, OSS4? Are you using any sound servers on top of low level drivers: JACK, NAS, PipeWire, PulseAudio?

See how many possible configurations is possible, considering all choices you have? Nobody is going to offer solutions for all of them in hope one of solutions matches your actual configuration. Members of these forums are volunteers after all.
ash97777
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies, I guess I underestimated the breadth of the various factors at play. However, I have a very rudimentary understanding of audio systems at the best of times but I did some research to try and answer your post such that the members here can help with my specific issue.

From what I gather, it uses its own USB transmitter on 2.4GHz wireless, no bluetooth on this model. As far as software goes, I know i have ALSA and pulseaudio installed, however configuring them seems to be beyond me, hence my post.

Hopefully this provides a bit more context and thank you for your reply :)
Hu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any other USB devices, and do they work under Gentoo? That will lead us to whether the problem is you lack USB support as a whole, or just USB support for this thing. What is the output of lsusb when the device should be working? If you can get it readily, the output of lsusb while it was working properly on another distribution would be nice to have. Could you pastebin your Gentoo kernel configuration? In what way(s) does this device not work? Does it fail to play sound? If yes, are you able to play sound through wired speakers? Does it play sound, but poorly (low quality, drop-outs, too quiet, etc. - specify which)? Does the headset have a microphone, but you cannot capture voice with it?

Generally, try to describe to us the things you would cite as complaints if you were trying to convince a vendor it was defective and merited a refund. (We don't think it's defective yet, but articulating how it doesn't work is common to convincing Support that it's broken and showing us what we need to fix.) In both cases, specificity helps.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: