emerge idling permanently on last package of world update
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: emerge idling permanently on last package of world update Reply with quote

A few days ago I entered 'emerge -uvDN @world' and all the packages to be upgraded were merged as expected except for Firefox. emerge continued to run but i could see that the CPU was hardly being used. htop showed me that all the expected processes were active. There were no error messages, there was plenty of unused memory and no swap space was being used. Nothing appeared to have stalled but the 'emerge -uvDN @world' had still not completed merging the new version of Firefox after two days! I eventually pressed Ctrl+C to get back to a command prompt, re-entered the command 'emerge -uvDN @world' and the remaining one package, viz. Firefox, then merged successfully:

Code:
     Mon Jul 12 14:44:02 2021 >>> www-client/firefox-89.0.2
       merge time: 3 hours, 37 minutes and 51 seconds.

In the next couple of days I resynced the Portage tree and the command 'emerge -uvDN @world' ran to completion as usual both times.

I am just curious; has anyone seen something like this when updating the packages in the world file? I know I don't have any diagnostic data to show you, but does anyone have any idea what might have caused it to idle like that?

Fitzcarraldo's blog
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't happened to me for many years. But I have experienced this, if I recall correctly it was some sort of Python quirk what caused it [back then]. Not Gentoo-caused, my system was inconsistent.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzcarraldo,

I've seen something similar when most of your mirrors in GENTOO_MIRRORS are either not responsive or gone away.
The fetch phase is prolonged waiting for all the retries on each mirror until eventually it gets to SRC_URI.

I've also seen the Python quirk that Jaglover described but only on arm64.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
tholin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you build firefox with the "pgo" use flag?

Profile guided optimization builds will run a benchmark on the built code to generate a profile. That step has a tendency to hang indefinitely because of some bug in firefox's build system. If you kill that hung benchmarking process the build will continue like everything is fine but it will use incomplete profile data.
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not been online much in the last few weeks, so a belated 'thank you' to the three of you for your replies.

I am almost certain my system is not 'inconsistent', but wouldn't rule out a Python quirk, I suppose.

No error messages were displayed. If most/all GENTOO_MIRRORS were unresponsive, would there not have been an error message?

Firefox was, and is, built with USE="-pgo":

Code:
$ eix -I firefox
[I] www-client/firefox
     Available versions:  78.11.0(0/esr78) (~)89.0(0/89) (~)89.0.1(0/89) (~)89.0.2(0/89) {+clang dbus debug eme-free geckodriver +gmp-autoupdate hardened hwaccel jack lto +openh264 pgo pulseaudio screencast selinux sndio +system-av1 +system-harfbuzz +system-icu +system-jpeg +system-libevent +system-libvpx +system-webp wayland wifi CPU_FLAGS_ARM="neon" L10N="ach af an ar ast az be bg bn br bs ca ca-valencia cak cs cy da de dsb el en-CA en-GB eo es-AR es-CL es-ES es-MX et eu fa ff fi fr fy ga gd gl gn gu he hi hr hsb hu hy ia id is it ja ka kab kk km kn ko lij lt lv mk mr ms my nb ne nl nn oc pa pl pt-BR pt-PT rm ro ru si sk sl son sq sr sv szl ta te th tl tr trs uk ur uz vi xh zh-CN zh-TW"}
     Installed versions:  89.0.2(0/89)(14:42:51 12/07/21)(clang dbus gmp-autoupdate openh264 pulseaudio screencast system-av1 system-harfbuzz system-icu system-jpeg system-libevent system-libvpx system-webp wayland wifi -debug -eme-free -geckodriver -hardened -hwaccel -jack -lto -pgo -selinux -sndio CPU_FLAGS_ARM="-neon" L10N="en-GB es-ES pt-BR -ach -af -an -ar -ast -az -be -bg -bn -br -bs -ca -ca-valencia -cak -cs -cy -da -de -dsb -el -en-CA -eo -es-AR -es-CL -es-MX -et -eu -fa -ff -fi -fr -fy -ga -gd -gl -gn -gu -he -hi -hr -hsb -hu -hy -ia -id -is -it -ja -ka -kab -kk -km -kn -ko -lij -lt -lv -mk -mr -ms -my -nb -ne -nl -nn -oc -pa -pl -pt-PT -rm -ro -ru -si -sk -sl -son -sq -sr -sv -szl -ta -te -th -tl -tr -trs -uk -ur -uz -vi -xh -zh-CN -zh-TW")
     Homepage:            https://www.mozilla.com/firefox
     Description:         Firefox Web Browser

Fitzcarraldo's blog
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: