View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
izder456
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:31 am    Post subject: urxvt transparent on second launch, not set transparent Reply with quote

hello, i have a IceWM gentoo install with urxvt as my default terminal emulator. i have clearly defined in .Xdefaults that the terminal window not be transparent. the window's background isn't transparent upon first launch. but, once cleanly closing the terminal windows with an `exit` command, and opening the window of urxvt back up the window starts trasparent, and neither pywal or my .Xdefaults fix the issue, and the window is transparent.

here is my .Xdefaults:
Code:
!enabling clicking on links in the terminal
URxvt*perl-ext-common: default,matcher
URxvt*url-launcher: /usr/bin/xdg-open
URxvt*matcher.button: 1

!no scrollbar (urxvt comes with one by default but its useless
URxvt*scrollBar: false
URxvt*scrollBar_right: false
URxvt*scrollBar_floating: false

! make *damn* sure transparency is disabled, currently doesnt work
URxvt*transparent: false
URxvt*shading: 255

!specific window size (default window size that the terminal opens with)
URxvt*geometry: 100x30

!font
URxvt*font: -*-terminus-medium-r-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

i've noticed that running a xrdb ~/.Xdefaults before the exit command when i want to close the window fixes this issue. I just don't want to have to do this every time.

thanks

~izder
trilithium
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it work the way you want if you rename the file .Xdefaults to .Xresources? You may need to restart X after changing the name to see whether it makes any difference.
izder456
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trilithium, I just tried that. looks like urxvt compains about not finding the `.Xdefauls` file. it might be using the old way of loading X settings.
trilithium
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have some software that insists on .Xdefaults being present, leave the file for now. Try adding your custom urxvt options to a new .Xresources file, restart X and see if urxvt cooperates better. .Xresources is the better way to specify options, it is more efficient and less reliant on applications doing the right thing.
izder456
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tried copying the contents of .Xdefaults into .Xresources, the issue still happens. to clarify, it is urxvt that complains about .Xdefaults missing, seems as if urxvt depends on .Xdefaults existing. theres gotta be a clearer way to fix this like a USE flag or something and recompiling...

sorry about the late response, a lot of stuff came up in my personal life and haven't gotten the chance to read the reply

~izder
trilithium
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did restart X after creating .Xresources? Does running xrdb still resolve the issue in this new configuration?

When you start X it reads .Xresources into memory and applications like urxvt can access the configured options through an API. Applications are supposed to check for .Xdefaults if options were never read into memory, e.g. because .Xresources is missing. By running xrdb manually you emulated what X usually does at startup, which fixed the issue temporarily.
izder456
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct i did restart X11. I actually did it two ways. Restarting the display-manager openrc service. And rebooting. Neither of which fixed the issue
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: