Thank you!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PlatinumTrinity
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Thank you! Reply with quote

I just want to thank the devs for removing the last non-proton version of Firefox from the offical repos so quickly. I really enjoy being forced to update to something I don't want. I also really enjoy blacklisting all versions beyond version 88 and ending up with v78ESR which broke everything in my local install. I know you're going to blame it on upstream and my local config. Don't bother justifying yourselves. Guess it's about time I make a local overlay and stop accepting updates from the current devs anyway. You also managed to break my sound somehow. Had to reboot to get it working again just like the good old Windows 9x days. Every day the thought of switching to Funtoo seems like more of a good idea.

No useful work getting done today I guess. Going to spend all day re-compiling a web browser and attempting to uncorrupt it.

[ MOD EDIT: Changed wording. We may have minors reading these forums too. -- Zucca ]
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a web browser, staying on old (unsupported) versions is ridiculous.

If you don't like firefox anymore, it'd be best to use another browser than stick to an old version.
Edit: or we could talk of trying to solve issues you are having with it, few things I didn't like myself but made a few css changes.

Last edited by Ionen on Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zucca

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Thanks for your feedback! Reply with quote

PlatinumTrinity wrote:
Guess it's about time I make a local overlay and stop accepting updates from the current devs anyway.
I don't have experience, but there are other browsers from the Firefox family. Have you considered them?
PlatinumTrinity wrote:
You also managed to break my sound somehow.
Logs next time? ;)
Also if you managed to get it fixed by rebooting I suspect some service needed restarting.

Lastly. Please watch your language. Not all people browsing these forums are adults.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...rrrright...

Quote:
browser.proton.enabled = false
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Ionen said, having an old browser installed that is no longer supported upstream and that might contain security problems is not a valid option, at least from my point of view.
Anyway if you don't like proton go about:config and set to false browser.proton.enabled, browser.proton.modals.enabled, browser.proton.doorhangers.enabled and browser.proton.contextmenus.enabled entries
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone else uses esr, future releases currently have the following dates:
Code:
2021-07-13    78.12
2021-08-10    78.13; 91.0
2021-09-07    78.14; 91.1
2021-10-05    78.15; 91.2 (appears to be the last 78 version)
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Release_Management/Calendar#Future_branch_dates
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Thank you! Reply with quote

PlatinumTrinity wrote:

Don't rant. The nice developers are doing the right thing by removing insecure packages that should not be used. Every user's vulnerabilities contribute every other users dangers on the web. I don't like the pace of development either. But, YOU didn't have to update today. AND, you could have used your backup browser.

It's a bad idea to mix two different versions of Firefox with the same profile. But, after it messed things up, you could have restored from your backups, then tried again.
amd64/23.0/split-usr/desktop (stable), OpenRC, -systemd -pulseaudio -uefi
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Thank you! Reply with quote

PlatinumTrinity wrote:
I know you're going to blame it on upstream and my local config.
It is an upstream problem. The upstream Mozilla Firefox project has chosen to have their non-ESR series make frequent gratuitous changes, such as the Proton UI changes. If you want to stick with ESR, you need to commit to ESR before moving past that version. Even then, ESR won't protect you for long, because upstream's idea of "extended" isn't all that long. Based on the calendar that pjp linked, ESR seems to last ~15 months from the first release of a series that becomes ESR until the last release of that ESR line.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: