Help very confused by diskless node wiki page
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:07 am    Post subject: Help very confused by diskless node wiki page Reply with quote

I just read the page about diskless node and something that doesn’t seem that clear from the initial portion about the kernel, is where do I download it and is it architecture specific in terms of my master/slave kernels for the PXE boot systems. You see, I am planning on making use of older laptop for a diskless node that I can run with various bootable systems. I am fairly comfortable with all the steps that ARE THERE in the Wiki page such as the networking configuration, dhcp server, and finishing the pxe configuration.

But since the two system have two different architectures, with the master being a 64-bit (or technically with multi lib profile). and the slave system is one 32-bit which I can get to boot from the minimal installation cd.

In terms of the kernel install for PXE where would this come from, is its download? Or can I just build it on my master machine running different architecture? I am confused.

My understanding was that kernel like most other files that are stored specific to the architecture of the machine and that means I either need a working kernel (like the one on the installation cd or I need to find a way to compile a new kernel for the slave somehow). Or can I skip this step altogether by finding a working 32-bit kernel from online?

UPDATE: I guess I had skipped past the section dealing with architectures, because I see it now with respect to the kernel source directory, which is pretty much what I was asking. It looks like I can just copy the bzImage from the correct architecture, so hopefully that works.
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Compiling kernels without modules Reply with quote

So following my lengthy post here is a simple question that I was hoping to be told if this makes sense to do.

I want to recompile the kernel module-less, does that mean I can just replace all M with Y in the config and then run make again?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIsLinuxIsSogood,

Try it ... then you tell us.

The only complication is if you need out of kernel modules like nvidia or vboxdriver.
You will need to leave module loading support on and build those things against your kernel.

A word of warning. 64 bit and 32 bit kernels use the same source tree.
Building a 32 bit kernel for your diskless node will overwrite all the 64 bit build for the host and vice versa.
You need to keep the .config files outside the kernel tree and better yet, keep two separate kernel trees.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
P.Kosunen
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Help very confused by diskless node wiki page Reply with quote

LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:
But since the two system have two different architectures, with the master being a 64-bit (or technically with multi lib profile). and the slave system is one 32-bit which I can get to boot from the minimal installation cd.

In terms of the kernel install for PXE where would this come from, is its download? Or can I just build it on my master machine running different architecture? I am confused.

TFTP server is usual source for kernel and possible initrd, but PXELINUX can nowadays also load them (faster) through HTTP or FTP.

(SystemRescueCD is usually better option than Gentoos minimal install cd, it also supports UEFI. I would recommend Dnsmasq for DHCP etc server, it includes TFTP server and is easier to configure.)
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need 32 bit image for your 32 bit pxe client.
The server architecture is irrelevant, none of its code runs on your client.

Regarding "replace M with Y", It did the trick for me, however I already had a pretty well tuned kernel to start with. It's more likely to fail with generic setup than it was with mine, where I disabled quite a few things I knew I wouldn't need.
WareChameleon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Help very confused by diskless node wiki page Reply with quote

LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:
I just read the page about diskless node and something that doesn’t seem that clear from the initial portion about the kernel, is where do I download it and is it architecture specific in terms of my master/slave kernels for the PXE boot systems. You see, I am planning on making use of older laptop for a diskless node that I can run with various bootable systems. I am fairly comfortable with all the steps that ARE THERE in the Wiki page such as the networking configuration, dhcp server, and finishing the pxe configuration.

My understanding was that kernel like most other files that are stored specific to the architecture of the machine and that means I either need a working kernel (like the one on the installation cd or I need to find a way to compile a new kernel for the slave somehow). Or can I skip this step altogether by finding a working 32-bit kernel from online?

UPDATE: I guess I had skipped past the section dealing with architectures, because I see it now with respect to the kernel source directory, which is pretty much what I was asking. It looks like I can just copy the bzImage from the correct architecture, so hopefully that works.

Hey,

My approach to this was to use a 64 Bit build for a KVM Virtualization Server, then proceed to build a 32 bit NFS Server as a Virtual Machine for a set of nodes which needed 32 bit to try and ensure compatibility when building from the "Master" kernel.

In reality you can use any kernel build you want but since you are also sharing other system files it seems safer to keep everything.

If you get a Terminal to work I also have some scripts which enable Mass Deployment of Terminals and also backups for KVM images.

https://github.com/CapriG/Gentoo-Automation

Last edited by WareChameleon on Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:57 am; edited 1 time in total
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WareChameleon,

With Gentoo its generally a bad thing to go straight to automated deployment without 'learning the ropes' required to maintain Gentoo first.

Over the years we have seen users here making a mess of a update on an install they didn't understand because they skipped the learning/understanding that comes with doing the install.
Worse, these installs were full of user data that had to be saved too, so the option to throw it away and start again was not available, unlike the early days of an install.
Most but not all were salvaged. A few impatient users decided that Gentoo was not for them.

Maybe you want a 'Health Warning' at the start.
Portage has a deliberately poorly documented environment variable that can be used to override some of the safety checks.

As always, its your gentoo your way. When it breaks, you can keep the pieces.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
WareChameleon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it could be.

The main reason I am putting these scripts out there is because they worked really well and could be used to learn the process.

These days I am working on electronics so I wanted them to continue to live if possible, especially if they help people.

This script doesn't play god with Portage though.

It merely takes a template Terminal and rips through the boring steps you'd normally have to do manually at least once with the Diskless Tutorial on the Wiki anyway.

So once you have one Terminal with everything tailored, you can deploy a school or a library in 10 minutes basically.

Once you decide to build another version, you can copy the files and use the redeploy command to refresh all Terminals.
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
A word of warning. 64 bit and 32 bit kernels use the same source tree.
Building a 32 bit kernel for your diskless node will overwrite all the 64 bit build for the host and vice versa.
You need to keep the .config files outside the kernel tree and better yet, keep two separate kernel trees.

Or see here.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: