Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

User: Anon-E-moose
Topic: In a radical mood...
Reason: stalking is a serious allegation that I can not ignore.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the shoe fits, wear it.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:

Quote:
Irresponsible post in a report thread.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
Tony0945 wrote:

Quote:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=8622288#8622288
This wasn't? It was your first appearance and it was aggressively confrontational and had zero technical content.
Are you moderating that thread? Or is Zucca and Hu? Or are you the Lord of Gentoo? That's an honest question since you have carte blanche to seriously insult anyone you like.
So, are you a super-moderator? Or are you just picking on Anon-E-Moose because of personal dislike? With rank comes responsibility or so i was taught.
Morality124
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
This wasn't? It was your first appearance and it was aggressively confrontational and had zero technical content.

I also have a question Asturm... do you honestly not understand the concept of the high ground? Do you honestly not understand that in order to avoid looking completely hypocritical, that your perception of perceived rule breakings does not mean it's suddenly acceptable to break the rules yourself in order to call out others? Or do you understand and just don't care?

"Put your message in a modem and throw it in the cyber sea."
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
User: Anon-E-moose
Topic: In a radical mood...
Reason: stalking is a serious allegation that I can not ignore.
Tony0945 wrote:
@Anon-E-moose and @Tony0945,

Given that there have been incidents of internet stalking / bullying that have led to death, I'm inclined to agree with asturm's objection to use of the term, at least in a casual manner. If you genuinely believe someone is stalking you, it would be necessary to provide references to the behavior.

My observations regarding this specific reference: asturm is a regular contributor to the forums, and posts in many threads on a variety of subjects. That is, the threads aren't limited to a specific topic such as KDE/Qt, and aren't limited to a small subset of users. Given asturm's frequency and breadth of participation, supporting a claim of stalking may be difficult.

I don't want to discourage serious claims and concerns, but such claims should be done with respect (you might be wrong) and that the claim be supported (by references) and preferably be done in this thread or to forum-mods@gentoo.org, and not buried in a forum thread without any supporting references.

Finally, if something you post is reported for blatant disregard for common courtesy and the community participation guidelines, that report isn't likely to be a compelling case for a claim of stalking. Maybe a more constructive reaction is to evaluate the inclination to disregard common courtesy and respect for others. I acknowledge that I may be misguided in believing that isn't too much to expect.

I wanted to keep this issue regarding stalking separate from the preceding incident, so I will follow up with a post about that soon, but not immediately.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it - "peons shut up! And get the Hell off the forums."
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not surprised by the manner of your reply. I don't believe you read what I wrote and came to that conclusion. If you honestly did, I'd be willing to discuss how you reached that conclusion and I would try to explain why it is not a reasonable interpretation.

I'd also add that this comment and your comment "if the shoe fits" seem to be in opposition to most of the items listed under Acceptable behavior and Unacceptable behavior. My guess is you read a small amount of my post, made up your mind and decided to offer your insight. If I'm wrong, then it would seem my expectations are indeed misguided.

Now, as to the provocation that started this, it was very blatantly an insult of a specific person. It was certainly NOT any of the following: courteous; in the spirit of being helpful; respectful; in the correct forum (hint, there are none). And it IS: flaming (maybe trolling); serving only to incite drama or negativity; being judgmental, mean-spirited or insulting. And while not explicitly stated in those sections, it is behavior that has continued "despite repeated warnings".

To address asturm's comment that requested Anon-E-moose to stop. My first reaction is that he could have used far stronger language and I would have had no PERSONAL objection. How difficult it is to be: courteous, helpful and respectful? Despite my predilection to believe otherwise, it is seems pretty much impossible for some people.
asturm wrote:
I'm happy if moderation is able to come up with a more appropriate description of your behaviour, I can't.
More appropriate? Not within community guidelines. My suggestion would be something referencing the Acceptable and Unacceptable behaviors. On second thought, skip the Unacceptable behaviors as someone might decide that was an insult. Focusing on the Acceptable behaviors is probably safest. "I would ask that you stop making such comments unless you can clarify how they are in keeping with the Acceptable behavior guidelines." Anything of the sort, but I can't keep up with the constantly evolving ways in which any manner of confronting someone is considered "bullying."
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: