[Solved] VirtualBox fails to instantiate a VM
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lyallp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:33 am    Post subject: [Solved] VirtualBox fails to instantiate a VM Reply with quote

Everywhere I look, it's all about DLL security and hardening, yet my virtualbox fails to instantiate VM's that previously worked (win10, win7, Gentoo).
It won't even instantiate a new VM (to be Gentoo :) )
Before I realised that VirtualBox was failing for the the existing, previously working VMs, I tried
* lowering system and video memory
* different chipsets
* disabling sound and network
* disabling nested paging
* unloading and re-loading the kernel net filter and net adapter modules
* You name it, I tried swapping/disabling it

I have yet to try re-booting the host Gentoo, as it is currently doing an update and that won't finish for quite some time as I noticed Firefox, Thunderbird and Chromium are rebuilding, amongst the 140+ other builds...

The VirtualBox result is
Code:
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Gentoo (Clang).

The virtual machine 'Gentoo (Clang)' has terminated unexpectedly during startup because of signal 6.

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {85632c68-b5bb-4316-a900-5eb28d3413df}

VirtualBox Graphical User Interface Version 6.1.16_Gentoo r140961
© 2004-2020 Oracle Corporation (Qt5.15.1)

Last edited by lyallp on Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lyallp,

NS_ERROR_FAILURE

NS is Name Space. Are you missing some/all of namespace support in the hosts kernel?

Code:
  │ │    --- Namespaces support                                                 │ │ 
  │ │    [*]   UTS namespace                                                    │ │ 
  │ │    [*]   TIME namespace                                                   │ │ 
  │ │    [*]   IPC namespace                                                    │ │ 
  │ │    [ ]   User namespace                                                   │ │ 
  │ │    [*]   PID Namespaces                                                   │ │ 
  │ │    [*]   Network namespace                                                │ │ 

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
lyallp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
.config - Linux/x86 5.4.80-gentoo-r1 Kernel Configuration
│ │                                        --- Namespaces support                                                                                        │ │ 
  │ │                                        -*-   UTS namespace                                                                                           │ │ 
  │ │                                        -*-   IPC namespace                                                                                           │ │ 
  │ │                                        [*]   User namespace                                                                                          │ │ 
  │ │                                        -*-   PID Namespaces                                                                                          │ │ 
  │ │                                        -*-   Network namespace                                                                                       │ │ 

I have used VirtualBox previously, after the last time I built the kernel (28-Nov-2020).
Not long to reboot, only openoffice and chromium compiling still :)
lyallp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebooting did the trick.
VM's start now.
Bit annoyed that rebooting, whilst it fixes the problem, does not inform me as to the root cause.
Buffoon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are doing it the hard way, although it may be easier than the easy way. :P
Normal *NIX way is to reload whatever needed to be reloaded after upgrade. In this case, VirtualBox kernel modules. I do it all the time with nvidia drivers, when there is upgrade then CUDA stops working and I have to reload nvidia kernel modules to make it work again. Of course, I could reboot ... :roll: DOS users do it ...
lyallp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea what caused VirtualBox to fail to start any VM given VirtualBox had been working only the week before - I don't reboot often, being a Linux user, I have no need.

I tried unloading virtualbox related modules and re-loading. I will admit, I did not reload nVidia modules as I saw no need.

Next time...

It was quicker to re-boot than to try Re-installing VirtualBox only to have that to fail too.
salfter
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
lyallp,

NS_ERROR_FAILURE

NS is Name Space. Are you missing some/all of namespace support in the hosts kernel?

Code:
  │ │    --- Namespaces support                                                 │ │ 
  │ │    [*]   UTS namespace                                                    │ │ 
  │ │    [*]   TIME namespace                                                   │ │ 
  │ │    [*]   IPC namespace                                                    │ │ 
  │ │    [ ]   User namespace                                                   │ │ 
  │ │    [*]   PID Namespaces                                                   │ │ 
  │ │    [*]   Network namespace                                                │ │ 

I'm running into the same issue. My kernel is built with genkernel and includes all of those (and one or two others). I've added myself to vboxusers, rebooted and made sure the relevant kernel modules are loaded, and I'm still getting the exact same error as the OP. I've run VirtualBox on Gentoo in the past without any issues; what's changed that it's now b0rken?
sabayonino
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here

From December/2020 VirtuaBox stop to start

Code:
zcat /proc/config.gz  | grep -e NS=
CONFIG_UTS_NS=y
CONFIG_TIME_NS=y
CONFIG_IPC_NS=y
CONFIG_USER_NS=y
CONFIG_PID_NS=y
CONFIG_NET_NS=y

Code:
5.10.38-gentoo-dist

Code:
lsmod | grep vbox
vboxsf                 36864  0
vboxguest              45056  1 vboxsf
vboxnetflt             32768  0
vboxnetadp             28672  0
vboxdrv               442368  2 vboxnetadp,vboxnetflt

Error is :
Code:
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Gentoo.

The virtual machine 'Gentoo' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {85632c68-b5bb-4316-a900-5eb28d3413df}

New/Clean VirtualBox config doesn't help anyway

Installed packages
Code:
eix  virtualbox -Ic
[I] app-emulation/virtualbox (6.1.20-r1(0/6.1){tbz2}@04/06/2021): Family of powerful x86 virtualization products for enterprise and home use
[I] app-emulation/virtualbox-additions (6.1.20(0/6.1){tbz2}@04/05/2021): CD image containing guest additions for VirtualBox
[I] app-emulation/virtualbox-guest-additions (6.1.20(0/6.1){tbz2}@13/06/2021): VirtualBox kernel modules and user-space tools for Gentoo guests
[I] app-emulation/virtualbox-modules (6.1.20(0/6.1){tbz2}@13/06/2021): Kernel Modules for Virtualbox

zwirbeltier
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@sabayonino I’ve run into the exact same problem as you have. Apart from what you tried I also tried:

• Clean installs of Virtualbox and upgrading. Versions I tried: 6.1.22, 6.1.24, 6.1.26
  • Using an older kernel (5.9.14 instead of 5.10.49) which I used when it did work back in January.
  • Looking at the VBoxSVC.log and resolving any error there that I could find.
  • Look at the VM settings in the UI to see whether any issues are flagged and resolving them.
  • Deleting and recreating the VM (as said above it doesn’t work with any of the VMs I have).

Did you have any luck fixing it since then?
lyallp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's an update to the nvidia drivers, in my case. Which, I had not re-loaded, at the time.
Eventually I gave up and rebooted, problem solved.

Although, there is some underlying issue with the graphics drivers because I have found that having a VirtualBox VM running, in my configuration, interferes with video playback in firefox.
I have to shut the VM down to restore video playback.

I guess I should try disabling hardware acceleration in firefox.

Happy to supply my configuration if needed.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: