Configuration File Updates
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cto2mac
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 7:07 pm    Post subject: Configuration File Updates Reply with quote

after I emerged kde and at the end of it all my ssystem told me I had 20 something config files that need to be updated. I did the emerge --help config and I am still baffled on how to update these files. Please forgive me, as my name says it all....n00b.

Thanks
echeslack
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have emerged gentoolkit, then you can just type etc-update. It shouldn't hurt anything to just emerge gentoolkit now unless you just upgraded from some really old version of portage. etc-update has is very easy to use, and I rarely even have to make any changes. Usually I can just keep the old config (i.e. no major changes) or completely replace it (i never had to change the default config in the first place).

also, a search for "config files" or the like probably would have turned something up. this has definitely been discussed before.

-ewen
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A followup on echeslack's advice: etc-update has graduated out of gentoolkit and is now part of portage proper.
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This script will let you safely update config files that you have not modified yourself in one shot rather than guessing or one-by-one with etc-update. In order for it to work you need gentoolkit; it also has to be run before a clean. You need to run etc-update after this to (semi-)manually update files that you have modified.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: