Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How can i optimize without sacrificing memory?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ali998
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject: How can i optimize without sacrificing memory? Reply with quote

Hello, i'm Ali. Today i decided to move from lto and pgo. I was using lto on almost every package of my system(and some other optimizations such as graphite), but i decided that, it really didnt speed up my system but it even slowed it down and incrised ram usage. I want to know how can do optimizations without sacrificing memory and actually speeding up the system. It would be nice if you guys would give me any tips for making the system use less memory.

Thanks for everybody who read. If i did something about forum wrong, i'm sorry. There could be gramatic errors and mistakes in this topic because my english is bad.
alamahant
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use xfce or lighter...
Prefer openrc but Gentoo;s implementation of systemd is surprisingly light.
Avoid anything gnome or kde as these people think they own your machine and want to bloat it like there is no tomorrow.Disable not often used services and start then on a need-to basis.
Use tmpfs and -march=native
ali998
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply, i use dwm and openrc. I tried runit with minimal scripts but i didnt really liked runit. I wouldnt wanna use Systemd to be honest. I will use tmpfs and i also use -march=native. Btw i got to the ram usage of 69mb on idle when dwm was running. I just wanna make it less.
pourpier
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ali998 wrote:
Thank you for the reply, i use dwm and openrc. I tried runit with minimal scripts but i didnt really liked runit. I wouldnt wanna use Systemd to be honest. I will use tmpfs and i also use -march=native. Btw i got to the ram usage of 69mb on idle when dwm was running. I just wanna make it less.

You could try the optimization USE flags of CloverOS by having a look at the CFLAGS of this script: https://gitgud.io/cloveros/cloveros/-/blob/master/installscript.sh
For some packages you need to change the CFLAGS via this wiki: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki//etc/portage/package.env
Which packages are concerned? Here: https://gitgud.io/cloveros/cloveros/blob/master/binhost_settings/etc/portage/package.env

Good luck
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: