View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now, these eclasses are eapi 7 only (with latest changes)
I would imagine that with a little push the rest of the eclasses will be converted, then it's heil whoever time. :lol:

Code:
$ grep "SUPPORTED_EAPIS:[         ]*7" *
acct-group.eclass:# @SUPPORTED_EAPIS: 7
acct-user.eclass:# @SUPPORTED_EAPIS: 7
aspell-dict-r1.eclass:# @SUPPORTED_EAPIS: 7
bazel.eclass:# @SUPPORTED_EAPIS: 7
cargo.eclass:# @SUPPORTED_EAPIS: 7
cmake-multilib.eclass:# @SUPPORTED_EAPIS: 7
cmake.eclass:# @SUPPORTED_EAPIS: 7
dist-kernel-utils.eclass:# @SUPPORTED_EAPIS: 7
ecm.eclass:# @SUPPORTED_EAPIS: 7
emboss-r2.eclass:# @SUPPORTED_EAPIS: 7
font-ebdftopcf.eclass:# @SUPPORTED_EAPIS: 7
font.eclass:# @SUPPORTED_EAPIS: 7
freedict.eclass:# @SUPPORTED_EAPIS: 7
go-module.eclass:# @SUPPORTED_EAPIS: 7
gstreamer-meson.eclass:# @SUPPORTED_EAPIS: 7
kde.org.eclass:# @SUPPORTED_EAPIS: 7
kernel-build.eclass:# @SUPPORTED_EAPIS: 7
kernel-install.eclass:# @SUPPORTED_EAPIS: 7
latex-package.eclass:# @SUPPORTED_EAPIS: 7
lua-single.eclass:# @SUPPORTED_EAPIS: 7
lua-utils.eclass:# @SUPPORTED_EAPIS: 7
lua.eclass:# @SUPPORTED_EAPIS: 7
meson-multilib.eclass:# @SUPPORTED_EAPIS: 7
netsurf.eclass:# @SUPPORTED_EAPIS: 7
qmake-utils.eclass:# @SUPPORTED_EAPIS: 7
qt5-build.eclass:# @SUPPORTED_EAPIS: 7
sgml-catalog-r1.eclass:# @SUPPORTED_EAPIS: 7
sword-module.eclass:# @SUPPORTED_EAPIS: 7
grep: tests: Is a directory
texlive-common.eclass:# @SUPPORTED_EAPIS: 7
texlive-module.eclass:# @SUPPORTED_EAPIS: 7
verify-sig.eclass:# @SUPPORTED_EAPIS: 7
wxwidgets.eclass:# @SUPPORTED_EAPIS: 7
xorg-3.eclass:# @SUPPORTED_EAPIS: 7

Last edited by Anon-E-moose on Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Leonardo.b
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alamahant; Rust is another thing you may be able to avoid.
librsvg for me was pulled in as build-time dependency to prepare some icons.
I just unpack icon themes downloaded from the web into /usr/share/icons.

Anon-E-moose wrote:
With this I can use tty7/8 as I'm in the tty group, I'm also in the input group.

I followed your suggestion, but Xorg root:input sugid.

p.provided is a one-line patch , I think.

+1 for the mini-distro.

Edit: Oops. Wrong link.
one-line patch, I think
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:
Basically it's what pjp said, kind of a mini distro.
Leonardo.b wrote:
+1 for the mini-distro.
To be clear, I mean a base system capable of running on its own, not a customized Gentoo. I don't plan to use a package manager, so that type of thing is why I call it "mini" (well, that and size). I may even try to use it for a while.

Anon-E-moose wrote:
I think that, at least part of it, is that the users are getting tired of these changes that don't do anything for them, other than cause them more work on their end. I'm sorry I see no benefit to me for the upcoming eapi 7 lockout, nor do I see any benefit to the acct-* nonsense, that was foisted upon gentoo users, and I doubt I'm the only one not happy with these things. Then it seems like the gentoo devs/council/et al don't care about the users, at least it appears that way to some of us. They seem to view us users the same way gnome does.
<rhetorical> Does everything always make every user happy? </rhetorical>

Keeping that in mind, I will ask a two-part non-rhetorical question. Should changes visible to "casual" users (as opposed to "power" users) only be made if they are an obvious benefit users? The other side of that question is, should changes that help devs do their "job" only be made if they are not visible to "casual" users? Before you answer, I'll explain why I'm asking.

I wasn't and am not a fan of acct-* as a chosen solution. However, I can see a benefit to development in having the user management process handled by the same tool that handles other changes. Gentoo devs were already managing users, so the issue isn't that they are, but how they are doing it. By using ebuilds, user management has become easier to handle, even by casual users. Yep, there's actually a benefit to users. Through Portage, you can now define how users are created on your system (uid, gid, ...?). In fact, I believe that was a solution implemented because the capability was requested by... users.

As a solution, packages.provided seems like a "Warranty Void if Removed" label. Maybe devs aren't getting a lot of bug reports as a result of users voiding their warranty, but it also seems like a hack solution. Because the virtual package replacement solution relies more on Portage to do its thing and determine correct and incorrect behavior, then that specific capability now seems to be handled better than it was previously. So the next question would be was there any other intended capability that is missing as a result? Maybe devs originally intended packages.provided to "short-circuit" Portage consistency, but I doubt that.

What functionality will be missing with packages.provided gone that doesn't have a "more correct" solution supported by Portage? That doing it correctly is harder is always true. The most obvious example is security, or even more simply, privilege separation.

In both cases (acct-*, provided removal) I would say there are benefits to users. That they happen to not be for other users, or even remove an actual or perceived capability, is an unfortunate occurrence within the context of my rhetorical question. On acct-* though, I'll challenge you on it having no benefit to users. I'd argue that it has almost no negative impact on users (as a solution, separate from its rollout).

Maybe it could be helpful to try considering the bigger picture where changes seem to have only negative impact. Is that really likely to be true, or is that perception skewed by a possibly negative impact on your situation.

Oh, and it might be a good idea to make a small edit to your first post on this page.
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Anon-E-moose wrote:
Basically it's what pjp said, kind of a mini distro.
Leonardo.b wrote:
+1 for the mini-distro.
To be clear, I mean a base system capable of running on its own, not a customized Gentoo. I don't plan to use a package manager, so that type of thing is why I call it "mini" (well, that and size). I may even try to use it for a while.

On one of my early systems (back in linux 2.* days) I had redhat laid down as a base system, but over time, I started adding more and more things the RH didn't offer, so I compiled them myself. The thing I was missing was what most package manager provide, a way to keep track of everything laid down per package, so that it could be easily removed, in other words a var/db/pkg type tracking. So I can see the need or should I say the advantages of using a package manager, or at least parts of it. I can't say that I like portage over rpm/apt/take your pick, but I would think some type of package management would be almost a necessity.

Quote:
Anon-E-moose wrote:
I think that, at least part of it, is that the users are getting tired of these changes that don't do anything for them, other than cause them more work on their end. I'm sorry I see no benefit to me for the upcoming eapi 7 lockout, nor do I see any benefit to the acct-* nonsense, that was foisted upon gentoo users, and I doubt I'm the only one not happy with these things. Then it seems like the gentoo devs/council/et al don't care about the users, at least it appears that way to some of us. They seem to view us users the same way gnome does.
<rhetorical> Does everything always make every user happy? </rhetorical>

:lol:

I can see the need for a centralized small db, with package and uid/gid info for that, one that could be interrogated for a "suggested" uid/gid combo.
But the way it was done, was less than desirable. Just my opinion.
I've seen too many reports of people having to battle the acct-* nonsense, on an already set up system, in other words it's already set up uid/gid for that individuals uses. I chose not to go there.

I do agree that package.provided is a strange beast, more an addon by some dev in the past that somehow took on a life of it's own.
I use p.p for only a few things.

Example: early on I noticed that gtk+3 wanted to pull in dbus, and the accessibility bridge.
At that time, I didn't need those packages on my system or want them on there (don't get me started on the accessibility stuff being mandatory)
so I made a patch to do away with those, in the package itself. That still left me with the problem that portage wanted to install them, even though they weren't necessary. I could (and my original push) was to modify the ebuild (gets tiresome when devs rapid fire ebuilds with -r* crap for no reason).
My next step was not to modify the ebuild at all and just put the packages that portage "wanted to install" in p.p. Problem solved easily.

Without p.p, it's back to modifying the ebuilds, and at that point I start pondering whether I should continue to use portage/gentoo or just go a different direction.
Gatsby
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:
*cough*mgorny*cough* well, I wouldn't really call him a policy maker, more a disaster, but he's the push behind EAPI 7 etc.

Anon-E-moose wrote:

You nailed it.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:
alamahant wrote:
Maybe the Gentoo users can make a strong request NOT to remove package.provided.
Who is the policy maker in Gentoo?
Just curious........

*cough*mgorny*cough* well, I wouldn't really call him a policy maker, more a disaster, but he's the push behind EAPI 7 etc.

Keep your crap confined to your safe space, pretty please.
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Council/Code_of_conduct

Interesting, especially the Unacceptable behaviour portion
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy if moderation is able to come up with a more appropriate description of your behaviour, I can't.
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alamahant wrote:
Pam was finally pulled by lightdm but i may work on it further to try to unmerge it...
I will follow each and everyone's advice

Running fvwm, even with x11-themes/fvwm-crystal on top of it, will not pull pam. With a full fvwm-crystal install running from years and with all the optional fvwm-crystal's dependencies installed, and even more (as example jackd running permanently as sound server), I get:
Code:
# ls /run
acpid.pid         autofs-running  dbus               libvirt                    openrc         runlevel       udev.pid
acpid.socket      autofs.pid      dbus.pid           lock                       pm-utils       sm-notify.pid  utmp
agetty.reload     avahi-daemon    dhcpcd             lvm                        resolvconf     sudo           wpa_cli-wlan0.pid
alsasound         cryptsetup      faillock           mount                      rpc.statd.pid  syslog-ng.ctl  wpa_supplicant
apache2           cups            initctl            netifrc_dhcpcd_eth0_args   rpcbind.lock   syslog-ng.pid  wpa_supplicant-wlan0.pid
Morality124
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
Anon-E-moose wrote:
alamahant wrote:
Maybe the Gentoo users can make a strong request NOT to remove package.provided.
Who is the policy maker in Gentoo?
Just curious........

Keep your crap confined to your safe space, pretty please.

So you are implying Gentoo Forums is your safe space?

Also, if our forums are a safe space, we're doing a pretty crappy job given you can register there any time you want.

"Put your message in a modem and throw it in the cyber sea."
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moose: please refrain from sniping at Gentoo maintainers. There are several who have made unpopular decisions, but in this thread, it would have been sufficient to mention the name(s) of those who pushed removal of package.provided and stop without commentary on how (un)popular their other decisions were.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Council/Code_of_conduct

Interesting, especially the Unacceptable behaviour portion

You mean?
Quote:
Posting/participating only to incite drama or negativity rather than to tactfully share information.
Being judgmental, mean-spirited or insulting. It is possible to respectfully challenge someone in a way that empowers without being judgemental.

This only applies to users.
HungGarTiger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is about to get the whole Gentoo Chat section deleted :lol:
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, it would suffice only for the usual OTW bad-faith actors to be banned. It's always the same with them.

@Tony0945, I'm sure you're a good chap, but from time to time I am wondering if you ever understood what got you temporarily banned in this forum, or if you regard it as historic injustice.

Here's a simple rule for the Moose to follow: Don't post stupid stuff, then you won't be called out on it. And this EAPI-7 teabaggery is beyond stupid, it just goes to show you will use anything, no matter how far-fetched, to perpetuate your smear campaign against certain developer(s). And it is casting doubt on any technical criticism you might otherwise have.

Last edited by asturm on Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Team,

Stop the infighting please or the next post by me here will be to lock the topic.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
Moose: please refrain from sniping at Gentoo maintainers. There are several who have made unpopular decisions, but in this thread, it would have been sufficient to mention the name(s) of those who pushed removal of package.provided and stop without commentary on how (un)popular their other decisions were.

Seriously, I get a call out for having an opinion and daring to speak it.
And yet, asturm, behind much of the ongoing drama, stalking several members of the forum, for months, in clear violation of the CoC ... nada.
And I know good and well, that you mods/admins have seen that it's not all one sided, nor always "the users"

Just for clarification:
Stalking behaviors are interrelated to harassment and intimidation and may include following the victim in person or monitoring them.

Fine then, circle the wagons to protect, I'll leave you fine people alone. God knows, I wouldn't want to hurt some overly delicate persons sensibilities.

Snarky, yes, I suppose I am. Enjoy.
alamahant
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some points
Emerging the
xfce4-meta
was smooth after an entry in package.provided
Code:

xfce-extra/thunar-volman-4.16.0

I noticed that while on Enlightenment I could use the DE power buttons to reboot but this was not the case in xfce my love.
But i do NOT care at all about the power buttons.
As for creating the
Code:

/run/user/1000

directory
i am using a startup script from xfce settings for login and another one for login out.
Something like
Code:

#!/bin/bash
dir="/run/user/$UID"
[ ! -d /run/user ] && sudo mkdir /run/user
[ ! -d $dir ] && sudo mkdir  $dir
sudo mount -t tmpfs -o rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,mode=755,uid=$UID,gid=$UID tmpfs $dir
[ ! -d $dir/pulse ] && sudo mkdir $dir/pulse
[ ! -d $dir/dbus-1/services ] && sudo mkdir -p $dir/dbus-1/services
[ ! -d $dir/dconf ] && sudo mkdir $dir/dconf && sudo touch $dir/dconf/user
[ ! -d $dir/gvfsd ] && sudo mkdir $dir/gvfsd
sudo cp  /home/$USER/.ICEauthority $dir/ICEauthority
sudo chmod 666 $dir/ICEauthority
sudo chown -R $USER:$USER  /run/user/$UID

and login out
Code:

#!/bin/bash
dir="/run/user/$UID"
if mountpoint -q $dir;then
sudo umount $dir
fi

I noticed tthat if i run these via xfce start-up apps I need sudo wheres if i use /etc/local.d I do not need sudo.It runs as root.
But in case of local.d it cant be user-specific.I will need to use user 1000 explicitly.

Although gnupg creates its folder by itself
pulseaudio does not create the socket and pid files which i found created in /tp/pulsexxxxx

As for neutering pam as Anon-E-moose suggested
is this the way
in /etc/pam.d/system-auth
Code:

auth      required   pam_permit.so
account      required   pam_permit.so

?
Thanks a lot Guys!!!
:)

Last edited by alamahant on Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zucca

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my perspective, some (plural) people are using phrases that are somewhat provoking to some users.
While it isn't against any rules, it's certainly not helping this or any other thread from derailing into flood of personal arguments and insults.

We all have differing opinions and ways to accomplish things. Let's accept that.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:
Hu wrote:
Seriously, I get a call out for having an opinion and daring to speak it.
You got a call out because, as best I could tell, yours was the first post in this thread that started the subthread of arguments about appropriate conduct. From past experience, you and I both know that certain posters (both developers and regular contributors) cannot let that kind of remark slide, and it will eventually escalate into the report thread, and from there may escalate into the thread being split/locked. Since the thread started with a legitimate technical discussion around package.provided and discussed whether its removal will cause more problems than it solves, I would like to keep the thread open and pursuing that line of discussion. It is interesting, and depending on what is said, might even lead to someone more formally pushing back on the removal. I'm not saying you cannot mention mgorny by name or that you cannot criticize mgorny's decision to remove package.provided. I am asking that you focus the criticism on why you think that removal is bad. Instead of calling him a disaster, you could have said "mgorny has been a driving force behind several decisions which received strong criticism from the user community." (Yes, this statement of mine contradicts my earlier post, where I suggested not discussing his other decisions.) This would convey that he has a history of conduct that multiple people consider undesirable, and if someone complains about that characterization, you can cite incidents in support of your statement. Portraying him as having a history of unpopular decisions (and supporting that portrayal) would bolster the argument that this decision too may turn out badly.
Anon-E-moose wrote:
And yet, asturm, behind much of the ongoing drama, stalking several members of the forum, for months, in clear violation of the CoC ... nada.
Yes, asturm often Reports posts of this type, in addition to showing up in thread. I wish he would be a bit nicer (particularly to the new users who clearly do not know what they are doing), but he provides enough technical value in his posts that I cannot say the forum would clearly be better without him. Most of the regulars I see active in this thread are, in my opinion, a net positive to the forum. (For the others, I don't recognize them well enough to say whether or not they are. I'm not saying anyone here is definitely a net negative.)
Anon-E-moose wrote:
And I know good and well, that you mods/admins have seen that it's not all one sided, nor always "the users"
Yes. I still remember when the Report thread got quite long due to several developers digging out months/years old threads in OTW.
Anon-E-moose wrote:
Fine then, circle the wagons to protect, I'll leave you fine people alone. God knows, I wouldn't want to hurt some overly delicate persons sensibilities.

Snarky, yes, I suppose I am. Enjoy.
I would prefer you stick around and try to contribute. If the Gentoo developers continue to push changes that antagonize enough users, we will need competent contributors to offer overlays that behave more like users want.
alamahant
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i may chip in I am not an experienced user or anything like that
BUT I would definitely would NOT like to see package.provided go.
For example
If one needs samba and the clang toolchain he has to use package.provided
because libunwind and llvm-libunwind are blocking each other.
So I ended up making an entry for libunwind in package.provided and i got a perfectly working samba together with a perfect clang-toolchain.
I know the USE="llvm-libunwind" is optional but nevertheless.
Nobody is above complain and criticism no?
And i heartily hope that Gentoo will not become another ubuntu slowly slowly.
CHOICE is why people love Gentoo no?
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole discussion is moot since the quoted paragraph is explicitly talking about p.provided support in profiles. As long as your PMS compliant package manager of choice is supporting a p.provided directory below /etc/portage you are fine, EAPI-7 is completely irrelevant there. But of course, the quoted paragraph is served from a particular URI, hence bashing ensues...
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alamahant,

There in a fine line between attacking an idea or a technical implementation and attacking the person who actually did the work.
We all all ears for a spirited technical debate, even a heated spirited technical debate supported by fact and rational deductions.

Attacking the individual is not OK. Stating an opinion about the technical competence, or otherwise, usually ends badly. Even if there is supporting evidence.
Expressing opinions it that way will often inflame another reader.

With posters having differing competencies in different dialects of English, things get even murkier.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
The whole discussion is moot since the quoted paragraph is explicitly talking about p.provided support in profiles. As long as your PMS compliant package manager of choice is supporting a p.provided directory below /etc/portage you are fine, EAPI-7 is completely irrelevant there. But of course, the quoted paragraph is served from a particular URI, hence bashing ensues...
While I can see that interpretation, the fragment as quoted does not, in my opinion, make clear the position you stated in the post I am quoting. I think that if it had been clearer that this was a change that only tree maintainers (both Gentoo main tree maintainers and overlay maintainers) need to care about, and that end users can completely ignore this change, then there would have been less or no criticism, regardless of the URL of the original post. Since end users write to /etc/portage/profile/package.provided to use the local form, I can see why readers interpreted the mgorny quote as relevant to end users.
mike155
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:

I would like to understand this, but I can't. What am I missing?

So far, my package.provided is in /etc/portage/profiles/package.provided. It works.

Will this file be supported with EAPI=7? Or will support for this file be removed?

What about "package.provided" in /etc/portage? I tried to move /etc/portage/profiles/package.provided to /etc/portage/package.provided, but emerge doesn't recognize this file. I also created a directory /etc/portage/package.provided and moved package.provided into that directory, but emerge ignores that file, too?
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have >76% EAPI-7 coverage at this point, no one had the simple idea of just trying it out with a random EAPI-7 based package yet? Bashing is easier, right?

If bump of baseline EAPI in profiles is affecting local overrides, which is not clear at all right now, you could file a bug report to re-use existing functionality in portage at the same level as package.accept_keywords etc.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: