View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KShots
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: GDM black screen issue Reply with quote

I recently updated gnome (including gdm to gnome-base/gdm-40.0::gentoo) and ran into this...

I use nvidia proprietary drivers (I always seem to have the corner case GPU that nouveau never supports, and I need accelerated 3D support). Apparently I've started using wayland without realizing it - my last Xorg.0.log is dated back in July of 2020, and does not refresh itself when deleted. I have no idea how to find any logs for Wayland. I have the following in /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-modeset.conf
Code:
options nvidia-drm modeset=1
If I run 'startx' manually with a 'gnome-session' in ~/.xinitrc, I can run gnome.

I've tried this (GDM crashes when attempting to launch a GNOME Wayland session) to no avail (note that I found /lib/udev/61-gdm.rules rather than /lib/udev/rules.d/61-gdm.rules. I rather doubt this file gets processed at all).

I also tried this (GDM produces an all-black screen when more than one video driver is loaded) to no avail... apparently nvidia module loads even when blacklisted upon reboot. The contents of /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nvidia.conf:
Code:
blacklist nvidia
Checking my initrd for the nvidia module comes up empty:
Code:
graendal ~ # lsinitrd /boot/initramfs-5.4.97-gentoo.img | grep -i nvidia
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root           45 May 16  2019 etc/modprobe.d/nvidia_2060.conf
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root          808 Sep 24  2020 etc/modprobe.d/nvidia.conf
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root          158 Jun  7  2019 etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-rmmod.conf

How do I get back to a running system? What are some good alternatives to GDM that integrate well with gnome?
alamahant
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not blacklist nvidia.
Rather blacklist waylamd.
in
/etc/gdm/custom.conf
Code:

[daemon]

WaylandEnable=false

If you also detest wayland a universal USE="-wayland" in make.conf would be ideal followed by a rebuild @world.
A;so in gdm greeter please choose x11 gnome session not wayland.
KShots
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alamahant wrote:

Code:

[daemon]

WaylandEnable=false

That got things working. I actually want to use wayland, having per-screen scaling would be nice, and is something that X refuses to face... but the GDM interface with wayland is currently broken when dealing with nvidia.

I'm not sure what I'm currently running on - I've disabled wayland in GDM, but I still have no /var/log/Xorg.*.log, which implies I'm still running wayland... or something is blocking the X logging capability. I'm not sure if I'm using wayland in gnome or not.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: