View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sakaki
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject: sakaki standing down from EFI Install Guide maintenance Reply with quote

sakaki stepping down from EFI Install Guide / sakaki-tools maintenance (effective EOL notice)

Dear fellow Gentoo enthusiasts -

I am afraid I have some difficult news to share.

Sadly, due to legal obligations arising from a recent change in my 'real world' job, I must announce I am standing down as maintainer of Sakaki's EFI Install Guide and the underlying sakaki-tools repo with immediate effect.

For more details to the background of this decision, please see this post.

For the meantime, I will leave the EFI Install Guide and sakaki-tools repo up (for historical interest and since they may be of use to others); however, I plan no further updates, nor will I be accepting or actioning further pull requests / bug reports from this point. Email requests for support will also have to be politely declined ><. I will continue to monitor this forum, but will be unable to provide in-depth technical responses to queries, and any responses may be somewhat delayed.

If you have used my EFI guide to install your Gentoo system, it should still continue to work for some time, but you should now take steps to migrate to a baseline Gentoo Handbook install (since the underlying tools, such as buildkernel, will also now no longer be supported and may eventually fail as more modern kernels etc. are released).

My sincere and heartfelt apologies to those who have contributed to, used and installed systems based on this guide over the more than six years since I first released it (seems such a long time ago now!).

And my heartfelt thanks to the fantastic team of devs and enthusiasts who make up the Gentoo and community (a particular shout out to NeddySeagoon!). It's been an honour to be a part of those endeavours for a little while, and I hope the guide has helped, in some small way, to make the process of bringing up a Gentoo system more straightforward for beginners.

So, kind regards, stay well, and I trust our paths may cross again in the future ^-^

Sayounara!

sakaki
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG! I guess that will also apply to your excellent Raspberry pi builds.

We do what we must to put food on the table. Thank you for all your work!
Sakaki
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945,

Yes, sadly this applies to gentoo-on-rpi-64bit too.

Please see my post about that here.

sakaki
ali3nx
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good fortunes to you and congrats on the new job. Your contributions have been greatly appreciated by many people.

I'm currently helping someone on the gentoo discord server migrate to an efistub boot luks setup that doesn't rely on buildkernel :)

I never did manage to get your arm64 rpi image booted in qemu but perhaps i'll find the time and curiosity again someday in the near future.
Compile long and Prosper!
Perfect Gentleman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, they've bought you utterly.
elover
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your effort and your wisdom.

PS: I still can't install gentoo without grub, I would love to know the steps without the script you created.

Greetings, and have a good job
Mithrandir
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sakaki: Thank you very much for all your effort, your guide and tools were really helpful in the recent years and I could said I learned Gentoo thanks to you.
I don't know how many people is with me on this, but I find a bit difficult and inconvenient to migrate out from the Buildkernel approach. So I would like to ask/propose here for some kind of continuity solution for this. Since all the people affected is going to find this thread, I guess this is the best place to do it.
The scope of Sakaki's work is really broad, but maybe some of us could try to focus on Buildkernel and Genup (excluding the guide and other tools).
EDIT: ...or maybe somebody could help the less skilled of us to migrate out of the Buildkernel scheme? I feel a kind of traped here.

Last edited by Mithrandir on Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Marlo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sakaki,
Thank you very much for your exact work on Gentoo.
Good luck to you and satisfaction with your family.
The future will be yours.

See you later...
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect Gentleman wrote:
So, they've bought you utterly.

Don't criticize until you have walked in his shoes. We don't all have rich families. A man does what he has to do to put food on the table and a roof overhead.
Perfect Gentleman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just stated the fact.
And really, I don't get it how employer can demand from someone to stop having a hobby.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect Gentlemen,

You want to eat? Sign it or get out. Lots of H1-B's standing in line for that job. it's industry practice. Some lawyer dreamed it up.
All that is missing is the auction black and barker. And the physical chains.

Last edited by Tony0945 on Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Perfect Gentleman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afaik, sakiki wasn't unemployment, and I really doubt that income was not enough to live more than normally. And honestly, I don't like all that bullshit that employer forced me to stop contributing to open source community. It sounds like ... you know.

A lot of projects became unmaintained and dropped suddenly and without explanations. A no one died or dropped a tear. Some projects were picked up , many of them nope. It's open source where no one owes anyone.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect Gentleman,

Its fairly normal to not be permitted to be in a position where you can accidentality cross contaminate GPL code with non GPL compatible code.
Contamination is either direction is a very bad thing.

I don't read any more into it than that.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to one of Sakaki's recent posts, her decision was between staying in the job she had held before the pandemic started, or switching to this one. The old job had become undesirable because the company's daily/weekly/monthly goals exceeded what the available staff could complete in a reasonable amount of time.
Sakaki wrote:
As some of you already know, the last few months have been very challenging for me in terms of bandwidth, because my current, "real-world" job has required increasing (and ultimately, unsustainable) amounts of my time, struggling to deliver a much increased workload with a skeleton staff post-lockdown. While I need to stay employed in this difficult environment, my family life has been coming under immense strain, and it became clear that something had to give.

As a result, I have -- after much debate -- decided to accept a recent offer (which arrived unsolicited, and to my surprise) from another org to join them.
I dislike the restrictions her new job places on her, but as I read the post quoted above, the Genpi project was doomed either way. Either she stayed in the old job and didn't have the time and energy to work on the hobby project (and possibly didn't have time/energy for anything at all other than work), or she switched to the new job and stopped work on the hobby project.

It's also possible that the terms of her new contract do not directly prohibit her work on the project, but instead contain a section that is very popular in US contracts, which purports to give the employer ownership of any development work she does at any time and on any project, regardless of its relevance to her day job. If such a provision were present, she could work on genpi, but her employer would "own" all resulting contributions, which would be a messy legal situation at best. Under such a contract, abandoning the project is cleaner for everyone.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu,

That's common in the UK too.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No matter the reason for Sakaki stopping work on different projects, it's their choice. All anyone should say is thanks for the fish. ;)

I've never used any of the projects that Sakaki has worked on/contributed to, but I wish them well.
Perfect Gentleman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
contain a section that is very popular in US contracts, which purports to give the employer ownership of any development work she does at any time and on any project, regardless of its relevance to her day job.
Oh, yeah! Welcome to the land of the free. We are against any barriers and restrictions.
avdb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was new too Gentoo your guide was the first one I tried out, I was the one that e-mailed you about supporting Musl in your guide but I guess that that was asking for a little too much. Tried Void Linux with Musl (saved me from having to compile everything from scratch) but it was still a very unstable experience since everything crashed constantly! Thanks for your work Sakaki, I sill use some parts of your guide to this day because they contain stuff you don't find in the standard Gentoo handbook :roll:
Jallee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your time and patience and Good luck with your new job!
Don't let the spin get you. :)
lperkins2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I use that project professionally, and since no one else has stepped up to maintain it, I am doing so. I'll also probably end up maintaining the tooling associated with it (genup at the very least). The new projects are on the GenPi64 github organization.

Sakaki wrote:
Tony0945,

Yes, sadly this applies to gentoo-on-rpi-64bit too.

Please see my post about that here.
raddaqii
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both sad news and good news, that is. Wishing her all the best for the new carreer!

Since I run several systems setup the Sakaki way, is there any migration guideline as of yet, or is documentation growing around the process somewhere?

Effectively, it seems genup was a shortcut for several steps: update the tree, then packages, and build a new kernel. Besides the very thoroughly described LUKS setup that genup was the one reason to go this route. Or did I miss anything with using it that way?

Oh, took a new home in the fediverse: find me in the stream on pluspora.com: https://pluspora.com/tags/gentoo
raddaqii
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case in isn't occuring to you to check there, over at reddit and in the unofficial discord channel (in #support-2) a fairly complete discussion emerged of all matters involved with migrating away from a Sakaki setup.

Oh, took a new home in the fediverse: find me in the stream on pluspora.com: https://pluspora.com/tags/gentoo
Duco Ergo Sum
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sakaki,

I would like to express my gratitude to you for your hard work and everything that you have shared. You have distilled knowledge. You have created tools. You have shared and communicated vibrantly.

Wishing you all the best!
poe_1957
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:00 pm    Post subject: Sakaki Reply with quote

"Thanks for all the fish" you put in those projects.
(quote from Douglas Adams, a marvelous guy who passed away and wrote 'the Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy' a book everybody should read at least 42 times)
Xoores
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sakaki,

I wanted to thank you for buildkernel and EFI installation guide for a long time. I was honestly quite sad when you announced this :cry:

If anyone is interested, I did just rewite core part/features of buildkernel and named it buildkernel-next as a sort of "memorial" of your great work (hope you don't mind). I've changed a few things around - for example it uses more maintained things like Dracut, does not need staticgpg etc so it should be good for long-term. For now it is of course "beta" and needs to be tested, polished etc but it should work as intended. I plan to keep this maintained at least as long as I will be running Linux.

I'll probably do the same with EFI installation guide at some point but for now I don't really have the time for it.

Thanks again for everything!
X.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: