emerge apparently ignores masking, then falls over [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mounty1
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 1:04 am    Post subject: emerge apparently ignores masking, then falls over [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Hello, I have a laptop with fairly old Nvidia graphics so I have this in /etc/portage/package.mask:
Code:
>=x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-391
I recently tried an emerge @world and got
Code:
!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy ">=x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-445.87[abi_x86_32(-)?,abi_x86_64(-)?,abi_x86_x32(-)?,abi_mips_n32(-)?,abi_mips_n64(-)?,abi_mips_o32(-)?,abi_s390_32(-)?,abi_s390_64(-)?]" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
- x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-460.56::gentoo (masked by: package.mask)
- x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-460.39-r1::gentoo (masked by: package.mask, NVIDIA-r2 license(s))
A copy of the 'NVIDIA-r2' license is located at '/var/db/repos/gentoo/licenses/NVIDIA-r2'.

- x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-450.102.04::gentoo (masked by: package.mask, NVIDIA-r2 license(s))

(dependency required by "media-libs/nv-codec-headers-10.0.26.1::gentoo" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "media-video/ffmpeg-4.3.2::gentoo[video_cards_nvidia]" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "www-client/firefox-86.0::gentoo" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "@GTK-apps" [set])
(dependency required by "@Cinna-desktop" [set])
(dependency required by "@selected" [set])
(dependency required by "@world" [argument])
For more information, see the MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge
man page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.
I wondered if ffmpeg-4.3.2 was mandating a newer version of nvidia-drivers but masking ffmpeg-4.3.2 didn't fix it. What's going on and what can I do about it?
lspci:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF108GLM [Quadro 1000M] (rev a1)

Last edited by mounty1 on Thu May 27, 2021 1:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Hu

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you trying to build Firefox 86, when Firefox 88 is out? As I read the history, Firefox 86 was removed April 6th.

emerge is not ignoring a mask. If it were, it would actually install the masked version. Instead, it is telling you that it cannot proceed due to your mask. Your problem is that you have no ffmpeg installed, and Firefox requires an installed ffmpeg. To install ffmpeg with VIDEO_CARDS=nvidia, you must have media-libs/nv-codec-headers. The oldest version of media-libs/nv-codec-headers requires a newer nVidia drivers than your mask allows.

Your options are:
  • Remove the nVidia drivers mask.
  • Disable VIDEO_CARDS=nvidia on ffmpeg.
  • Unmerge Firefox.
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You most likely want USE=-video_cards_nvidia for ffmpeg with 390.xx, most people do not use these features in the first place, e.g. using the video card for encoding video with nvenc. I think it's also the feature that control usability of things like mpv --hwdec=cuda (if not ffmpeg[cuda] which I think is for filters, vdpau will work either way).

Edit: There's bug #777174 open about this with the idea that this shouldn't use video_cards_nvidia but rather have its own USE to be clearer (and not enabled by default).
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to mask >=media-libs/nv-codec-headers-9.1.23.1 as well, since these will require newer versions of nvidia-drivers
mounty1
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: