View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 11:46 pm    Post subject: Freeze on first boot Reply with quote

I just installed gentoo and rebooted. THe com now freezes w/out giving an error.

Here are the last few lines outputted.
Code:
starting kswapd
devfs: v1.12 (20020219) Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
devfs: boot options: 0x1
Installing knfsd (copyright (C) 1996 okir@monad.swb.de)
SGI XFS with ACLs, quota, no debug enabled

Then it freezes. What'd i do?
NOTE: It has never booted completely, always to this point. I have tried booting twice
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on a responce from the mailing list i disabled XFS now ther error is after the line before.
fghellar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: Freeze on first boot Reply with quote

gsfgf wrote:
Then it freezes. What'd i do?

To actually get some help, you should provide us with at least some information about your system, such as
    your menu.lst
    your fstab
    the output of fdisk -l /dev/hda
    something about your hardware
    etc.

gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I wasn't sure what was needed:
Specs: vanilla kernel b/c the icluded netcard drivers were giving me compatability errors w/ the gentoo kernel.
fstab:
Code:

/dev/BOOT               /boot               ext3           noauto,noatime         1 1
/dev/ROOT               /                   ext3           noatime                0 0
/dev/SWAP               none                swap           sw                     0 0
/dev/BOOT               /proc               proc           defaults               0 0

Note: I think / and /boot are ext3; however, in fstab they were xfs and ext2 respectivly. I changed them to what i thought they were, but same problem.

fdisk -l /dev/hdb:
Code:

Device Boot        Start       End         Blocks    Id   System
/dev/hdb1                  1        13         104391    83    Linux
/dev/hdb2                 14       205        1542240    83    Linux
/dev/hdb3                206      4982      38371252+    83    Linux
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsfgf wrote:
Code:

/dev/BOOT               /boot               ext3           noauto,noatime         1 1
/dev/ROOT               /                   ext3           noatime                0 0
/dev/SWAP               none                swap           sw                     0 0
/dev/BOOT               /proc               proc           defaults               0 0

Last line bad. Last line should be:

Code:
proc               /proc               proc           defaults               0 0

Might also want to put in a line for your cdrom (assuming you have one)

Code:
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0      /mnt/cdrom      iso9660         noauto,ro               0 0

--kurt
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber wrote:

Last line bad. Last line should be:

Code:
proc               /proc               proc           defaults               0 0

Might also want to put in a line for your cdrom (assuming you have one)

Code:
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0      /mnt/cdrom      iso9660         noauto,ro               0 0

--kurt

Yea, bad copy/paste it is right in fstab. and is there ant reason to mount the cd? I so rarely use the thing.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsfgf wrote:
and is there ant reason to mount the cd? I so rarely use the thing.

That line doesn't mount the cdrom -- it just tells your system how to mount the cdrom in case you ever want to.

--kurt
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
gsfgf wrote:
and is there ant reason to mount the cd? I so rarely use the thing.

That line doesn't mount the cdrom -- it just tells your system how to mount the cdrom in case you ever want to.

--kurt

OK, i guess i better put that in. But i doubt that would cause the problem. I didn't have a disc in the drive when i booted.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*bump*
fryfrog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hummm, i was up and had just finished compiling a fair number of things (kde and lots of little things). i rebooted to see if my "rc-update" change would work and low and behold i am getting the same error. i'm typing this by hand.

my /etc/fstab is modified to suit my system (hda1 = /boot, hda2 = swap, hda3 = /)... and there it goes booting now... after about 3 power cycles it finally booted.

but, the error was identical to the one in the opening post for devfs.
TJJ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem, and when I try to edit /etc/fstab it tells me:
Quote:
Error writing /etc/fstab: Read-only file system

What do I do?
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mount the root partition of your harddisk installed gentoo first. You are now trying to edit the livecd and cd's are usually readonly. If you mount it on /mnt/gentoo (like you did for the installation) you then edit it with nano -w /mnt/gentoo/etc/fstab

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
TJJ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot, problem solved.
Ripster
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixnut wrote:
Mount the root partition of your harddisk installed gentoo first. You are now trying to edit the livecd and cd's are usually readonly. If you mount it on /mnt/gentoo (like you did for the installation) you then edit it with nano -w /mnt/gentoo/etc/fstab

Thanks for quick response. I appreciate that I don't want to be writing to the installation CD, however I am very much a novice with Linux in general and especially Gentoo. Please:

1. Talk me through the mount process. I assume I need to be doing this during the Gentoo boot, after I have hit this error:

fsck. ext3: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/ROOT
/dev/ROOT:

The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2 filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2 filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:

e2fsk -b 8193 <device>

* Filesystem couldn't be fixed :(
Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D to continue):_
<blinking>

I'm happy with how to actually edit and save the file, you'll be pleased to hear!

2. Please also confirm the changes I need to make to /etc/fstab - was I correct in saying it should read /dev/hdb3 instead of /dev/ROOT?

Finally, is it a problem that / is ext3 rather than ext2?

Thanks for your help

Graham
MickKi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should use the LiveCD (any LiveCD) to mount your / partition just like the installation guide says (but do not mkfs because you'll format your partitions). Use nano to edit your /etc/fstab. Instead of /dev/ROOT you should enter the partition of your /, e.g. /dev/hda3. Same applies for all your other partitions.
Ripster
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. After a few attempts I now have a running system, albeit command-line only at present. As you'd expect the problems were with my grub.conf and /etc/fstab. Next challenge will be to get a GUI running... 8O
MickKi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's the easy option: emerge an all singing - all dancing KDE or Gnome display environment;

or there's the more difficult option: emerge a display manager like fluxbox, iceWM, Window Maker, etc., most of which need some configuration by hand to make look nice(r), then emerge individual applications as needed. A slicker but more time consuming approach. :)

Before all that of course you need to emerge xorg and set it up to recognise your video card, monitor, mouse and keyboard. If you look at the supporting Gentoo documentation and guides you should be up and running in no time at all (other than the mamoth installs of KDE/Gnome).

Good luck! :)
Ripster
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made the 'schoolboy error' of starting to emerge xorg at about 0100 today. Sat there for a LONG time watching and waiting to test, only to find my mouse is not detected (a common or garden ps2 mouse so shouldn't be too hard to fix, I hope).

Unfortunately I'm now stuck at work for a while so can't play with my new toy. From your comments can I assume that emerging KDE and Gnome will take longer than xorg did? I didn't time it but would guess at 45-60 mins for xorg on my box, is it possible for you to estimate how long KDE and Gnome would take from that info, or does it not correlate that way?

Finally, is there any benefit to emerging both KDE and Gnome? (Apart from obviously being able to use both). I ask because I have used KDE with Mandrake, didn't especially like the look of Gnome

Sorry about all the questions! :oops:

Regards

Graham
MickKi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to apologise for asking questions! How else are you going to receive a targeted answer? :)

You'll need to sort out your mouse and monitor first. Until I sorted out my mouse I couldn't even launch X. It would crash the machine.

Emerging the complete monolithic KDE ebuild or KDE-meta which pulls in all the KDE packages takes forever. On my old box (600MHz PIII, 256MB RAM) emerging xorg and KDE monolithic took almost three days - including some borked ebuilds which I had to fix before emerge continued. On a fast, modern machine it could take as little as 9-10hr.

On the other hand, you now have the KDE meta packages. Just emerge what you need for a minimal install following the Gentoo KDE documentation guide and you'll have a working KDE environment in no time at all. Thereafter emerge additional KDE meta packages if/as you need them, followed by some additional applications (e.g. kftpgrabber), and eyecandy (e.g. ksmoothdock, themes, etc.)

There's no need to emerge Gnome (I haven't). Careful that some ebuilds will try to pull Gnome in, even if you have "-gnome, -gtk" in your USE flags: e.g. if I remember right trying to emerge OpenOffice was dragging in all of the gnome libs; the fix here in order to keep gnome out was to put -eds in the USE flags in /etc/make.conf.

Since you now have a working prompt searching for answers and questions on this topic ought to follow in the Desktop Environments forum.

Good luck,
Ripster
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Mick. Have got my mouse sorted (/dev/input/mouse0 rather than /dev/mouse was needed) but am having other snags now with installing X. I'll start a new thread on that in Desktop environments, would be grateful if you could take a look?

Regards

Graham
Po0ky
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your partition is mounted ro you can always try running
mount -o remount,rw /
Topher200
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am installing Linux for the first time, and I am almost done with the install, but I can't boot the system. When I turn the computer on, I get grub, choose Linux, and wait. Tons of commands flood the screen, all looking fine, until an error:

Code:
 UDF-fs:No Partition Found (1)
Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(3,3)

I have already gotten some help with this problem with a thread I created, but the mods shut it down.
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-429380.html
It says that that thread is a duplicate of this one, and although it doesn't look it to me, I figured I may be able to find help here.
The information for my system is in the first thread.
Any help is appreciated.
global_dev
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: thread shut down also Reply with quote

My thread was also shut down and moved as well, cited as a dup, but i don't see but a slim reference with a suggestion that I have already previously implemented that the majority of this doesn't address my situation practically or technically. There seems like 3 conversations about fstab without references going on at once and the rest of this thread talks about environments. Was the mod a bit hasty or am i missing something?

I had already searched scanned through threads to make sure someone else hadn't solved this same situation. That is how i decided to change the /dev/Root to /dev/sda3.

My boot display references /dev/ROOT/dev/ROOT (not a typo).

here is the original thread
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-429119.html
Post subject: Boot fails although install manual followed verbatim

The thread here duplicates /dev/boot twice in fstab. My issue is not editing read-only files, my issue is something in the booting process after selecting my kernel in grub loader that wants to check my ext3 filesystem as ext2 and saying it is not legit. I also couldn't get a livecd like ubuntu or kubuntu to boot past "loading hotplug subsystem", even though the univ live cd had no problem, which how i wanted to post the code here without setting up ssh and logging into another computer.

I have spent much time 3x from beginning and so i think i have the process understanding of what things are and why they are necessary, but this has taken more than 10 hours over 2 days of watching the screen that i need a break. I will post the file contents, once my head is clear and my eyes don't hurt.
Topher200
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*bump*

Still no responce... I'm looking for any suggestions at all...
deadaim
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topher200 & global_dev:

To help you we are going to need the output of the following commands:
Code:
fdisk -l /dev/hda
uname -r
ls -l /boot

And we will need the output of the following files:
Code: