Native Steam client and source game engine
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hu

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you, in fact, missing those libraries? If yes, does installing them make the problem go away?
Tefrem34
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the help. I some how didn't have it installed. But now it seems that those dependencies where just part of the issue. I no longer have the error, it just fails to launch without any errors.

I get this message.
Code:
Running Steam on gentoo 1.0.0.69 64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is disabled by the user
Can't find 'steam-runtime-check-requirements', continuing anyway
WARNING: Using default/fallback debugger launch
/home/rbear/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam
when using the the troubleshooting section.

I had messed up on setting up my home partition when I did my fresh install, so I was wondering if this is a bi product of that.
bghoons
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 12:48 am    Post subject: Steam on Gentoo works Reply with quote

Recently, I bought a new desktop but with no OS. My friend wanted me to join in to play an online Steam game. He said, "Linux Mint with the MATE desktop is the best way to use Linux to play Steam games using the Proton compatibility layer." Since I had never installed Steam in Gentoo, and it had been years since I've used anything other than Gentoo, I decided to try Mint to get up and running as fast as possible so as to join a game.

Linux Mint was good, Steam ran just fine, and MATE is a polished desktop and easy to use, but I missed doing things The Gentoo Way. I researched installing Steam on Gentoo, wiped Mint, and installed Gentoo using a SystemD & Desktop profile. I normally don't pick a Desktop profile but my instincts said it would be a good choice due to my intention of playing Steam games. I chose XFCE as my desktop because it's my style and I like it, no other reason than that.

Installing the OS on the SSD but having /var and /home on a separate hard drive required some minor extra research but I got it done. Boot up time is about 19 seconds.

Note to others: when putting /var on a separate partition, it should be at least 40gb due to RUST requiring more than 20gb of space which was the size of my /var partition. I first tried a 12gb ram disk but it was not sufficient even though the message said RUST needed only 10.5gb of space. TEMP_DIR was a way around it, not a big deal really, no need to resize partitions or, God forbid, re-install the OS.

Anyway, following the excellent documentation, Steam installed without any issues and worked just fine with XFCE as it did with MATE. With GentoomI notice about a 2% - 4% performance gain over Mint, either because my kernel is smaller due to pruning, XFCE more efficient than MATE, my software is compiled according to my architecture (AMD), or some combination of them.

For over a month I've been playing Steam games using Gentoo Linux and there have been no issues. It works just fine, at least it does for Dragon Age and Sins of a Solar Empire.

AMD A10-9700 1 physical processor; 4 cores; 4 threads
Memory: 15,821MB (1,632MB used)
Display Adapter : AMD/ATI Wani
Operating System : Gentoo/Linux
theicecube
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i don't have dbus installed, steam boots up but every tab (library, store etc.) has just a black screen, and i appear offline (website says i'm online).
tried installing dbus and everything loaded properly, but i don't want dbus on my computer.
the terminal keeps printing the same 2 lines:
Code:
STEAM_RUNTIME_HEAVY: ./steam-runtime-heavy
./steamwebhelper: symbol lookup error: ./libcef.so: undefined symbol: dbus_validate_bus_name

i have no idea what it means.
i'm stuck using the small mode for now, which isn't so bad, but it does annoy me a bit that i have such a big program installed when i can't even use 90% of its features.
what should i do? dbus isn't even listed as a dependency, so i don't understand why this is a problem.
Hu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steamwebhelper has a load-time dependency on a symbol, probably from dbus based on the name, which your system does not provide, probably because you do not have dbus installed. The dependency information you looked at is probably simply wrong. It is usually maintained by hand, so it can deviate from reality. You can either install dbus, or eliminate steamwebhelper (which may mean eliminating most or all of Steam). If you install dbus and that fixes the problem, please file a bug with the maintainer of the steam ebuild (which may not be a Gentoo maintainer if you got this from an overlay) to have the Portage dependency information adjusted so that the next person who tries to install without dbus will be prompted by Portage to install dbus.
theicecube
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what if i install steam and dbus in a chroot jail? that should keep dbus from having access to the rest of my system, correct?
Hu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That depends on how thorough your jail is. It's possible to isolate such things quite well, but I don't know if you'll get acceptable performance from Steam with all the required isolation in place.
theicecube
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i'm ready to give up now...
i set it all up, but for some reason i can't run not just steam, but any GUI applications from chroot. it keeps giving me this error:
Code:
name of display: :0
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  150 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  24 (X_GLXCreateNewContext)
  Value in failed request:  0x0
  Serial number of failed request:  99
  Current serial number in output stream:  100

the best lead i could find was some X11 boolean option called "AllowIndirectGLXProtocol", and i tried setting it to true and false both inside and outside the chroot jail, as in in my own xorg.conf.d directory, and it didn't work.
i use nvidia, so i installed the nvidia-drivers package. without it glxinfo complains about not being able to find "RGB GLX visual".
i'm honestly at a loss. dbus won. :cry:
OmegaSW
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Gentoo Steam wiki is missing an important step to make the Proton compatibly layer work correctly on Gentoo.

This config needs to be changed:
/etc/security/limits.conf

These values need to be added:
* soft nofile 1024
* hard nofile 1048576

Source:
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/1970?fbclid=IwAR0QiO4Lqg-SPdI6aKyYtC4KCL8Yrsc5j-5hQ-5csuTUrVhcW_kYm-Vgxco

Gentoo's default number of files open is simply too low for many games to run correctly, and the above is the optimal settings required. I ran into Dragon Ball Fighterz crashing when loading a second stage, and this fixed it for me.

In my opinion, both the limits.conf and the Steam Gentoo wiki should have this updated in the documentation:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Steam
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Security_Handbook/User_and_group_limitations
system_exit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:38 pm    Post subject: SteamAPI_IsSteamRunning() did not locate a running instance Reply with quote

Starting recently (2-3 day back max) I'm not able to log in games that expect Steam integration.
In output I see "SteamAPI_IsSteamRunning() did not locate a running instance of Steam." but ~/.steam.pid contains PID of the running steam process.

What can I do to investigate that further and get it fixed?
Thanks in advance for advice.
Hu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you start by determining what exactly SteamAPI_IsSteamRunning actually does. Does it look for a process by name? Does it try to read the pid file you mentioned? Does it look for some other resource, such as a shared memory segment? Once you find how it works, then you can repeat its steps to see where it goes awry.
system_exit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not very good in collecting this kind of info abut I have run it with strace and this ouput is preceding the error message,
does it mean that steam has problem reading the file it created?

Code:

[pid 2[pid 22108] openat(AT_FDCWD, "/home/runner/.steam/steam.pid", O_RDONLY <unfinished ...>
[pid 20622] <... semtimedop resumed>)   = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily unavailable)
[pid 22342] <... write resumed>)        = 64
[pid 22247] read(4,  <unfinished ...>
[pid 22245] read(58,  <unfinished ...>
[pid 22131] <... epoll_wait resumed>[{events=EPOLLIN, data={u32=150, u64=150}}], 128, 16) = 1
[pid 22108] <... openat resumed>)       = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
[pid 22342] readv(21,  <unfinished ...>
[pid 22245] <... read resumed>"U\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\2\0\0P\0\0\0\252\t\0\0\1\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0"..., 64) = 64
[pid 22131] readv(447,  <unfinished ...>
[pid 22108] write(2, "[S_API] SteamAPI_Init(): SteamAP"..., 95 <unfinished ...>
[S_API] SteamAPI_Init(): SteamAPI_IsSteamRunning() did not locate a running instance of Steam.
Hu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steam is attempting to read a file that does not exist. I do not know why it is using a name different from the one you posted when you resurrected the thread.
system_exit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's OK, it's a link created to a file, bot create by Steam and both and the file exists, I checked it.
/home/runner/.steampid -> /home/runner/.steam/steam.pid

Last edited by system_exit on Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
m4k3r
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:35 pm    Post subject: Controllers not working in game Reply with quote

Hello all, working on my first gentoo build.

I'm having an issue with Steam games not working with my controller, in-game. I have 3 different types to try; Xbox 360, Xbox One Elite 2, Astro C40. The 360 controller works fine without issue, in the Steam settings and in-game.

The other two controllers work fine in KDE and Steam settings, but they don't work at all once inside a game (God of War, for example). It doesn't appear to be Proton related since i have the same issue with a native game (Golf with Friends).

I very much appreciate any help with this! I'm having a blast emerging my first build, playing on keyboard and mouse for now :)
m4k3r
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Controllers not working in game Reply with quote

m4k3r wrote:
Hello all, working on my first gentoo build.

I'm having an issue with Steam games not working with my controller, in-game. I have 3 different types to try; Xbox 360, Xbox One Elite 2, Astro C40. The 360 controller works fine without issue, in the Steam settings and in-game.

The other two controllers work fine in KDE and Steam settings, but they don't work at all once inside a game (God of War, for example). It doesn't appear to be Proton related since i have the same issue with a native game (Golf with Friends).

I very much appreciate any help with this! I'm having a blast emerging my first build, playing on keyboard and mouse for now :)

I think this may have resolved the issue:

Code:
rc-update add elogind boot

I was trying to fix my sddm shutdown/restart buttons in KDE and my controller started working all of a sudden :D
bwbuhse
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed the wiki guide to install Steam in the chroot using the overlay and I think I've got it successfully installed, but I don't have a status bar icon for it. I also get some messages like this

Code:
(steam:12416): libappindicator-WARNING **: Unable to get the session bus: Could not connect: No such file or directory

output from the chroot script, but I have dbus running fine on my Hyprland host session. Any clue what my issue is?
lekto
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a loosely related question. Right now I’m using Steam on virtual machine with VGA passthrought (RX 580) and I’m thinking of switching to native Linux Steam. I installed Steam using flatpak (because of sandboxing), it is working, but my Linux GPU (R7 240) doesn’t let me test it on more demanding games. I don’t want to switch GPU right now because I remember vaguely doing some weird hacks to set it up (which was in 2017) and I don’t want to break my working setup in case I have to go back to VGA passthrought.
Question: how is Linux performance in comparison to VGA passthrough?
Thulle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bwbuhse wrote:
I followed the wiki guide to install Steam in the chroot using the overlay and I think I've got it successfully installed, but I don't have a status bar icon for it. I also get some messages like this

Code:
(steam:12416): libappindicator-WARNING **: Unable to get the session bus: Could not connect: No such file or directory

output from the chroot script, but I have dbus running fine on my Hyprland host session. Any clue what my issue is?

I got some "steam-launch-wrapper: $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set." error and installed dbus-x11 in the chroot, I think it was after that my status bar icon appeared. Not using Hyprland though.
papu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, all

i am going on with changing muy system from ABI 32 64 to pure 64, now i have "only" 54 abi_x86_32 packages installed due steam stuff...however it is posible having only x64 with steam-proton installed, today?

it seems can't , but i only need 27 abi_x86_32 stuff now! :wink:
Code:
games-util/steam-launcher-1.0.0.76-r2 requires =virtual/opengl-7.0-r2[abi_x86_32], virtual/opengl[abi_x86_32]

thanks!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
Page 17 of 17

Jump to: