[SOLVED]Audio stopped working at random
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vladimir1986
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject: [SOLVED]Audio stopped working at random Reply with quote

Hey.

Sorry for yet another no sound post, but nothing here or another forums is working for me!

Yesterday I was using my laptop as usual, but noticed some weird audio lag. Assumed it was as I was doing an update and the CPU was working at 100%. After a while I shut down the computer (forgot I was updating and left mid compilation). Upon startup I had no sound.

Soundwise, all I can remember doing was activating "simultaeous output" in kmix. I never saw such option, and deactivating it will return just "dummy output" as sound card in pulseaudio

doing a lspci -k is quite interesting: I swear I had SND_HDA audio loaded in memory when it was compiled into the kernel, and not as a module. I just tried recomiling the kernel with it (and all the codecs) bot as a module or into the Kernel, and now it just shows nothing

I thing I installed already all the firmware I saw related with intel from diferent forums posts, but no dice.

I am just lost, I don´t even remember doing anything special with the sound and it is gone. I tried a live-USB with a different distro and got sound, so I don´t think it is hardware failure.

*Some edits:

I tried compiling the audio driver and firmware into the kernel, and also tested as modules, and combined them, but no luck. I also noticed the mic also reports "dummy output". I also tried with an old config file which worked, and same result.... might it be a bug?

Output of lspci -k | grep Audio

lspci -k | grep Audio
00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio (rev 21)
Subsystem: Lenovo Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio

Last edited by vladimir1986 on Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total
vladimir1986
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading this post I see that I don't give much information: There are something I noticed.

% dmesg | grep audio
[ 1.103946] snd_hda_intel 0000:00:1f.3: couldn't bind with audio component
[ 1.131004] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D0: autoconfig for ALC293: line_outs=1 (0x14/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0) type:speaker
[ 1.134708] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D0: speaker_outs=0 (0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0)
[ 1.140712] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D0: hp_outs=2 (0x16/0x15/0x0/0x0/0x0)
[ 1.144768] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D0: mono: mono_out=0x0
[ 1.144770] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D0: inputs:
[ 1.160575] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D0: Dock Mic=0x19
[ 1.162513] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D0: Mic=0x1a
[ 1.162514] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D0: Internal Mic=0x12
[ 1.220566] snd_hda_codec_hdmi hdaudioC0D2: No i915 binding for Intel HDMI/DP codec
[ 1.222563] hdaudio hdaudioC0D2: Unable to bind the codec

My .config (no initrd to boot the kernel)

https://dpaste.com/HAGGV73ZQ

I can force load the sound driver with modprobe, so I can have "Analogue Stereo Input" in pulseaudio instead of "dummy output", but of course it won't work.

Using alsamixer: I can select HDA Intel PCH as a soundcard. Reports as Realtek ALC293, and I go all the expected controls (Master, Headphone, Speaker, PCM....) all unmuted, but moving the sliders won't do anything.

I will really appreciate any hint about where to look now, because I am totally lost.

Thanks in advance
vladimir1986
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vladimir1986 wrote:
Reading this post I see that I don't give much information: There are something I noticed.

% dmesg | grep audio
[ 1.103946] snd_hda_intel 0000:00:1f.3: couldn't bind with audio component
[ 1.131004] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D0: autoconfig for ALC293: line_outs=1 (0x14/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0) type:speaker
[ 1.134708] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D0: speaker_outs=0 (0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0)
[ 1.140712] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D0: hp_outs=2 (0x16/0x15/0x0/0x0/0x0)
[ 1.144768] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D0: mono: mono_out=0x0
[ 1.144770] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D0: inputs:
[ 1.160575] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D0: Dock Mic=0x19
[ 1.162513] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D0: Mic=0x1a
[ 1.162514] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D0: Internal Mic=0x12
[ 1.220566] snd_hda_codec_hdmi hdaudioC0D2: No i915 binding for Intel HDMI/DP codec

My .config (no initrd to boot the kernel)

https://dpaste.com/HAGGV73ZQ

I can force load the sound driver with modprobe, so I can have "Analogue Stereo Input" in pulseaudio instead of "dummy output", but of course it won't work.

Using alsamixer: I can select HDA Intel PCH as a soundcard. Reports as Realtek ALC293, and I go all the expected controls (Master, Headphone, Speaker, PCM....) all unmuted, but moving the sliders won't do anything.

I will really appreciate any hint about where to look now, because I am totally lost.

Thanks in advance

Well, that was a success. :roll: It is the first time I also got cricket sounds in this forum, but I managed to find the culprit by chance. (I was actually burning an USB to install another distro, and plugged in a second monitor to be able to attend class meanwhile).

Then I noticed the second monitor wouldn't come alive. After some inspection I discovered that the miniDP port was busted. Also the ethernet port was busted (probably a fall or some kind of damage, but this is physical, internal damage, no software)

So in my head, the audio driver was trying to load the HDMI audio codecs, crapped out as it is unusable, and failed to load, even if there where no further errors. I recompiled the kernel without HDMI codec support (SND_HDA_CODEC_HDMI) and after a reboot the sound was back.
vladimir1986
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I don't intend to cause spam, but if anyone looks at this thread looking for answers:

Computer has no sound again. As I saw, it is actually hardware failure, so can't be simply patched with config files or installing anything. Now I get this:

dmesg|grep sound
[ 1.154985] No soundcards found.

I tried different live distros and same thing. FreeBSD, same: Sound Card can not be detected and/or interacted in any way possible. Simply put, adding to the failing I/O, I think my poor Thinkpad L570 is on its last legs. I am not sure what it has, but is slowly spreading. Sure it is not as good quality as my T43 and T60.
Nreal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After yesterdays updates i have got sound issues as well. IEC958 or is it exatly that have dissapeared. :?
vladimir1986
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nreal wrote:
After yesterdays updates i have got sound issues as well. IEC958 or is it exatly that have dissapeared. :?

That sucks. I think that there might be a problem with PulseAudio/Alsa detecting cards too, so you might want to try reinstalling... Sadly Audio is my weak spot, I have never been very lucky with those.

I eventually moved the hard drive into another machine, and while the audio card was detected, I never made it to have sound again. I ended formatting and installing a binary distro to get sound working in the new machine (old one is 100% busted). I might try Gentoo again when I have more free time to reinstall. Sadly the install I had was quite big! (and it had webkit-gtk, which just thinking about the 8hrs of compile time makes my soul to die a little bit inside. Never understood why there are no binary buolds of it! It actually takes way longer to compile than Firefox and LibreOffice together, and it is aimed to low end computers too)

I also recommend you to save a copy of your .config when you manage to make it work: I never know with audio, but seems to be then only driver that is module-builtin sensitive apart of the filesystem. I never remember if you need to compile the driver as a module, or buiultin, and same for the codecs, but I know that it needs to be a very specific way to work (at least on my case)
Hu

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vladimir1986 wrote:
I think that there might be a problem with PulseAudio/Alsa detecting cards too, so you might want to try reinstalling...
What are you suggesting to reinstall to fix this?
vladimir1986
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
vladimir1986 wrote:
I think that there might be a problem with PulseAudio/Alsa detecting cards too, so you might want to try reinstalling...
What are you suggesting to reinstall to fix this?

Sorry, my bad.

Pulseaudio and Alsa. Again, I never made to test it, but all I am left to think is that somewhere there was a config file with hard coded soundcard identifiers from the first install. Otherwise I don't know why the system was able to see the new (and different) soundcard, but there was no way of getting sound output from it. All I had was a lot of non usable HDMI outputs, so maybe installinf pulseaudio and alsa again would overwrite those old config files.

But this is wild guess.... I actually know very little about PulseAudio, Alsa, or sound in general.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: