View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abdus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject: [solved] flickering console after installing nvidia drivers Reply with quote

hi there, how are you guys? wish you are all good.
i have a problem please help me solve it
it is with nvidia drivers.
i installed nvidia drivers when i first installed gentoo, the graphics were looking like there was nothing wrong however i was noticing that whenever i play a video it was like the performance for the video is not even average.
every time there is a program that requires rebuilding nvidia drivers, i get an output that says that the drivers are not compatible with the hardware i have.
i ignored that message and to be honest i know how nvidia caused a lot of headache to many people in many platforms not only in linux but aside of it either so i was some kind of avoiding NVIDIA's hustle.
the driver that was installed for me was with the version 420
last time the output was saying that i need to put this line to the masking config file related to nvidia drivers
Code:
>=x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-391.0.0
i reinstalled nvidia drivers and the version has become 390
i did that and referred to the wiki page of nvidia drivers for gentoo i had to rebuild the packages that depend on nvidia like ffmpeg and gdm (i use it to login) i put some line to nvidia config file to tell the xorg to work with nvidia drivers just like in the wiki. afterwards i wanted to test the new config by rebooting but i was not able to get any gui. now i logged in using another kernel which does not submit most of the configs i do (i tried to have multiple kernels for backup and i followed the advice of a guy that i appreciate a lot and it worked).
i did not specify any accurate output since i do not know how to get portage output after it emerges packages but if any of you wanted the accurate output please tell me the command.
i will wait for your answer thank you

Last edited by abdus on Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
abdus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the second kernel gdm works, i have many desktop environments which are gnome that automatically includes gnome-classic and i have xfce, i have dwm also. among all of these none works except gnome (i guess it works when it is with wayland not xorg)
dmesg output https://dpaste.com/8GCFJ438A
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
[ 3652.489096] NVRM: The NVIDIA Quadro 1000M GPU installed in this system is
               NVRM:  supported through the NVIDIA 390.xx Legacy drivers. Please
               NVRM:  visit http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html for more
               NVRM:  information.  The 460.39 NVIDIA driver will ignore
               NVRM:  this GPU.  Continuing probe...

This sounds like you are still using 460.39, perhaps you've built 390.xx for the wrong kernel, or there's an old initramfs laying around.

Edit: Alternatively you may also want to consider nouveau rather than nvidia-drivers, nouveau performance isn't as good but isn't planned for end-of-support in 2022 unlike the 390.xx legacy branch (390.xx will be kept for as long as possible, but it'll become unrecoverable eventually, this is more about giving people time to replace hardware).
abdus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how can i remove that version (460) of nvidia drivers? please tell me
abdus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyway, i succeeded to install nouveau driver for nvidia and it worked with no issues, thank you
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: