PMS, version comparing, _p suffix [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
halcon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: PMS, version comparing, _p suffix [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Hi!

Could anyone explain me the sense of the lines #11 and #17 of the Algorithm 3.5?

As far as I understand, suffix _p is more than no suffix, and other suffixes are less than no suffix. That logic is being confirmed by Funtoo page.

But the lines #11 and #17 are doing an absolutely other thing. They reverse the suffix order, and their conditions (at the lines #8 and #14) do not even consider another (least) suffix value.

Why not make the order (in the Algorithm 3.6) so:
Code:
_alpha < _beta < _pre < _rc <  <NO_SUFFIX>  < _p

and not return in the Algorithm 3.5 just
Code:
if Asn > Bsn then
return  A > B
else if Asn < Bsn then
return  A < B
?

EDIT

That ^^, actually, would be correct for one suffix only, right? For multiple suffixes the logic should be more complicated?

I am not an expert in software releases... Please correct me if I am wrong:
pre_alpha < pre_alpha_p < rc_alpha < rc_alpha_p < alpha < alpha_p < pre_beta < pre_beta_p < rc_beta < rc_beta_p < beta < beta_p < pre < pre_p < rc < rc_p < no_suffix < p
Does this list include all the possible combinations?
Maybe some combinations are not used?
- Why did you buy 6 cartons of milk?
- They had eggs.

Last edited by halcon on Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
GDH-gentoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: PMS, version comparing, _p suffix Reply with quote

Parsing formal specifications is quite the brain excercise, isn't it :D

halcon wrote:
Could anyone explain me the sense of the lines #11 and #17 of the Algorithm 3.5?

Lines #8 to #12 cover the case in which A has more suffixes than B, but if the extra suffixes are removed, A is identical to B. If A was not identical to B with the extra suffixes removed, the loop in lines #4 to #6 would have yielded the comparison's result for some value of i, so the algorithm finishes and line #7 is never reached. Therefore, they cover the case in which A and B are of the form:

A ::= common-part first-extra-suffix [ more-suffixes ] -- [] means "optionally present"
B ::= common-part

For example, common-part could be 1.32.43q_alpha3_rc7. In that case, A > B if first-extra-suffix is _p unsigned-integer, matching your understanding that <NO_SUFFIX> < _p, and A < B in any other case, matching your understanding that "anything else" < <NO_SUFFIX>.

Then, for example:

1.32.43q_alpha3_rc7_p10_beta1 > 1.32.43q_alpha3_rc7

but:

1.32.43q_alpha3_rc7_pre10_beta1 < 1.32.43q_alpha3_rc7

Here, using the notation of Algorithm 3.5, As_0 and Bs_0 are _alpha3, As_1 and Bs_1 are _rc7, Asn is 4, Bsn is 2, As_2 is either _p10 or _pre10, depending on the example, As_3 is _beta1, and As_Bsn is As_2.

(Using _ for subscripts, and ignoring the fact that such a convoluted version is highly unlikely in real cases :))

Lines #14 to #18 cover a similar case, but when B is the one with more suffixes.

halcon wrote:
I am not an expert in software releases... Please correct me if I am wrong:
pre_alpha < pre_alpha_p < rc_alpha < rc_alpha_p
Yes.

halcon wrote:
rc_alpha_p < alpha
No, the opposite, because _alpha < _rc (line #5 for i == 0).

halcon wrote:
alpha < alpha_p < pre_beta < pre_beta_p < rc_beta < rc_beta_p
Yes.

halcon wrote:
rc_beta_p < beta
No, the opposite, because _beta < _rc (line #5 for i == 0).

halcon wrote:
beta < beta_p < pre < pre_p < rc < rc_p < no_suffix < p
Yes.
halcon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: PMS, version comparing, _p suffix Reply with quote

GDH-gentoo wrote:
Parsing formal specifications is quite the brain excercise, isn't it :D

Yes, one of these :)

GDH-gentoo wrote:
Lines #8 to #12 cover the case in which A has more suffixes than B, but if the extra suffixes are removed, A is identical to B. If A was not identical to B with the extra suffixes removed, the loop in lines #4 to #6 would have yielded the comparison's result for some value of i, so the algorithm finishes and line #7 is never reached.

Oh, indeed! Thanks for resolving that :)

GDH-gentoo wrote:
1.32.43q_alpha3_rc7_p10_beta1 > 1.32.43q_alpha3_rc7

but:

1.32.43q_alpha3_rc7_pre10_beta1 < 1.32.43q_alpha3_rc7
GDH-gentoo wrote:
ignoring the fact that such a convoluted version is highly unlikely in real cases :))

What do your examples mean at all? How could alpha and beta be there at the same time? :)

GDH-gentoo wrote:
halcon wrote:
rc_alpha_p < alpha
No, the opposite, because _alpha < _rc (line #5 for i == 0).
halcon wrote:
rc_beta_p < beta
No, the opposite, because _beta < _rc (line #5 for i == 0).

And where should be alpha and beta? Please provide the right (full) sequence :)

EDIT

I guess, the right sequence is
alpha < alpha_p < beta < beta_p < pre_alpha < pre_alpha_p < pre_beta < pre_beta_p < rc_alpha < rc_alpha_p < rc_beta < rc_beta_p < pre < pre_p < rc < rc_p < no_suffix < p ?

Yeah, according to this left-to-right-comparison logic, what I meant with pre_alpha (i.e. version before alpha) should actually be alpha_pre...
- They had eggs.
GDH-gentoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: PMS, version comparing, _p suffix Reply with quote

halcon wrote:
What do your examples mean at all? How could alpha and beta be there at the same time? :)
Nothing other that they are valid versions according to section 3.2 of the PMS, and allow me to show the result of the algorithm for a non-trivial case. I guess you could read 1.32.43q_alpha3_beta1 as "the first beta version of the third alpha version of release 1.32.43q" :lol:

halcon wrote:
Please provide the right (full) sequence :)

EDIT

I guess, the right sequence is
alpha < alpha_p < beta < beta_p < pre_alpha < pre_alpha_p < pre_beta < pre_beta_p < rc_alpha < rc_alpha_p < rc_beta < rc_beta_p < pre < pre_p < rc < rc_p < no_suffix < p ?
Nope, it would be:

alpha < alpha_p < beta < beta_p < pre_alpha < pre_alpha_p < pre_beta < pre_beta_p < pre < pre_p < rc_alpha < rc_alpha_p < rc_beta < rc_beta_p < rc < rc_p < no_suffix < p
halcon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: PMS, version comparing, _p suffix Reply with quote

GDH-gentoo wrote:
Nothing other that they are valid versions according to section 3.2 of the PMS, and allow me to show the result of the algorithm for a non-trivial case. I guess you could read 1.32.43q_alpha3_beta1 as "the first beta version of the third alpha version of release 1.32.43q" :lol:

ROFL ))

GDH-gentoo wrote:
Nope, it would be:

alpha < alpha_p < beta < beta_p < pre_alpha < pre_alpha_p < pre_beta < pre_beta_p < pre < pre_p < rc_alpha < rc_alpha_p < rc_beta < rc_beta_p < rc < rc_p < no_suffix < p

Yes, sure, I forgot to move pre and pre_p :)

Marking as solved!
- They had eggs.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: