View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basilicous
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: In Memory of Kent “kentnl” Fredric Reply with quote

dilfridge wrote:
Gentoo mourns the sudden loss of Kent Fredric, also known to us by his IRC handle kent\n. He passed away following a tragic accident a few days ago.

Kent was an active member of the Gentoo community for many years. He tirelessly managed Gentoo’s Perl support, and was active in the Rust project as well as in many other corners. We all remember him as an enthusiastic, bright person, with lots of eye for detail and constant willingness to help out and improve things. On behalf of the world-wide Gentoo community, our heartfelt condolences go out to his family and friends.

Please join us in remembering Kent below.

Original announcement: https://www.gentoo.org/news/2021/02/12/in-memory-of-kent-kentnl-fredric.html

Rest in peace.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rest in peace
nevelis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met him in high school. Including myself, there were maybe 4 people who were as enthusiastic and as into programming as we were. Programming, computing and tech was all we talked about. We were doing an all-nighter at our mentors house when we were 16 when he exclaimed "oh wow, they took it". One of his first open-source contributions was accepted - he had trouble with a boot loader on his setup, and after a few hours of hacking away he got it going and decided to make a patch for it. A few hours later, the maintainers accepted it. It was nearly 3 in the morning our time, and we sat there bewildered as it slowly sunk in that code that he wrote would soon exist on millions of devices.

Eventually we had fairly decent computers at high school, but only during class time. The ones we had free access to were shitty Acorn computers that weren't very powerful. I saw Kent do dual monitors before anyone else - but he was using dual machines... He disabled the GUI on one to reserve everything for compute and was hacking away on the other as a terminal.

The four of us managed to finish our computing classes a year early at school. I stayed at high school and did a few university papers via correspondence, but he & the other two went straight to the community college. This is where we had our first LAN parties. We played magic between to give our eyes a break but even when we were having a break or gaming, Kent was glued to his screen with 27 terminals open (he actually wrote a script to monitor his concurrent bash sessions, BEFORE he started using tmux).

He was dry, sarcastic, incredibly witty, he did not give a fuck what anybody thought about his opinion and was never afraid to share it. Unlike every other nerd I've ever known though, there was never any dick-measuring, any comparisons, he just didn't care to compare himself against anybody. When he submitted his first open-source contribution, I was learning Debian and he was just getting into Gentoo. But unlike every other Linux user at the college (who followed the mantra of "If you don't use my distribution then BURN IN HELL, YOU HERETIC"), he was actually helpful. He knew every package to install even regular expressions off the top of his head to fix up steps that didn't work.

This absolutely sucks. I'm so gutted. Both of us avid Devin Townsend & Tool fans, we had been waiting a decade for Fear Inoculum to come out, oh man... You just posted how it was over a year since Fear Inoculum had come out and then you left Facebook in September of 2020, and that was the last I heard from you. I wish I had said more to you man. Tell your friends and loved ones what they mean to you before you don't have that opportunity anymore. Rest in peace, my friend. Long before your time.

^D
Juippisi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nevelis wrote:

I met him in high school...

Thanks for registering to the forums to share this story :')
teika
Apprentice
Apprentice

Location: YYYY-MM-DD, period. Have you ever used the Internet?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1
aceforever
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP !
nikolis
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rip
Rad
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am hearing these news late, but my sympathies too. He is missed.
drizzt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Requiescat in pace
feismo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: In Memory of Kent “kentnl” Fredric Reply with quote

Sit tibi terra levis, Kent , miss you
Zucca

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nevelis, thank you for putting time to tell your story.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
gabrielg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sucks! Was just looking for something different in gentoo.org when I bumped into this - it seems like yesterday when kent\n popped up in #gentoo to give a fantastic helping hand, and at least made me laugh with his witty comments.
Rest in peace, thy will be missed.
lorschy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP
Yczo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From these lines I want to express my deepest condolences and my gratitude to his work; thanks to him and the other members, the computer world is better today. :-(
Endermen1094
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Remembering the one who passed away Reply with quote

You will be missed even if i never interacted with you
You were a good persion in life and that yoy may be remembered
ManDay
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could just upvote. I didn't know kent personally but sometimes met him on IRC where he helped. He did good. I'm sad to hear he had to go too early. My condolences to his family.
Sipos
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rest in peace.

I never knew you personally, but I am indeted to you for your work and grateful for it. Your work survives you, and is something that matters and helps a lot of us. Thanks.
virtualwolf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: In Memory of Kent “kentnl” Fredric Reply with quote

dilfridge wrote:
Gentoo mourns the sudden loss of Kent Fredric, also known to us by his IRC handle kent\n. He passed away following a tragic accident a few days ago.

Kent was an active member of the Gentoo community for many years. He tirelessly managed Gentoo’s Perl support, and was active in the Rust project as well as in many other corners. We all remember him as an enthusiastic, bright person, with lots of eye for detail and constant willingness to help out and improve things. On behalf of the world-wide Gentoo community, our heartfelt condolences go out to his family and friends.

Please join us in remembering Kent below.

Original announcement: https://www.gentoo.org/news/2021/02/12/in-memory-of-kent-kentnl-fredric.html

Thank you kindly for all the great support, on behalf of the family they really appreciate the messages.

A Givealittle has been started to help his family out, my regards if this is against the forum rules however it would greatly aid the financial stress his family has had to bare.

Any donations would be greatly appreciated.

https://givealittle.co.nz/cause/kent-fredrics-funeral-costs

Thank you in advance.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: