With genkernel or whithout ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RIA77
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject: With genkernel or whithout ? Reply with quote

Hello, I am trying to install Gentoo.
Tried with genkernel

Quote:
alculating dependencies ... done!

!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "sys-kernel/linux-firmware" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
- sys-kernel/linux-firmware-99999999::gentoo (masked by: || ( ) linux-fw-redistributable no-source-code license(s), missing keyword)
A copy of the 'linux-fw-redistributable' license is located at '/var/db/repos/gentoo/licenses/linux-fw-redistributable'.

A copy of the 'no-source-code' license is located at '/var/db/repos/gentoo/licenses/no-source-code'.

- sys-kernel/linux-firmware-20210315::gentoo (masked by: || ( ) linux-fw-redistributable no-source-code license(s))
- sys-kernel/linux-firmware-20210208::gentoo (masked by: || ( ) linux-fw-redistributable no-source-code license(s))
- sys-kernel/linux-firmware-20201218::gentoo (masked by: || ( ) linux-fw-redistributable no-source-code license(s))
- sys-kernel/linux-firmware-20201022-r3::gentoo (masked by: || ( ) linux-fw-redistributable no-source-code license(s))
- sys-kernel/linux-firmware-20200918::gentoo (masked by: || ( ) linux-fw-redistributable no-source-code license(s))
- sys-kernel/linux-firmware-20200817::gentoo (masked by: || ( ) linux-fw-redistributable no-source-code license(s))
- sys-kernel/linux-firmware-20200721::gentoo (masked by: || ( ) linux-fw-redistributable no-source-code license(s))
- sys-kernel/linux-firmware-20200619::gentoo (masked by: || ( ) linux-fw-redistributable no-source-code license(s))
- sys-kernel/linux-firmware-20200519::gentoo (masked by: || ( ) linux-fw-redistributable no-source-code license(s))
- sys-kernel/linux-firmware-20200421::gentoo (masked by: || ( ) linux-fw-redistributable no-source-code license(s))
- sys-kernel/linux-firmware-20200316::gentoo (masked by: || ( ) linux-fw-redistributable no-source-code license(s))

(dependency required by "sys-kernel/genkernel-4.2.0::gentoo[firmware]" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "sys-kernel/genkernel" [argument])
For more information, see the MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge
man page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.

Or should I configure kernel manually ? Thank you for your suggestions.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIA77,

That's not a genkernel issue.

You need to accept the
Code:
linux-fw-redistributable no-source-code
licences to be able to install linux-firmware at all.
That's true if genkernel does it or you install it for any other reason.

Most USB devices and many video cards need firmware.

Alternatively, you can set USE=-firmware on sys-kernel/genkernel. The you don't get firmware in your initrd.
That may mean that things won't work as the firmware must be available when the kernel module that needs it is initialised.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
RIA77
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1096898-start-0.html

Found the solution. But question is, should I make changes to kernel manually, or should I avoid that and go genkernel way ?
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on how much you know/want to know about building kernels. I've never used genkernel, and from my viewpoint, it just seems to add a layer of potential confusion. But I'm sure genkernel regulars will find it significantly easier from their viewpoint.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIA77,

If you need to ask, use genkernel and delay learning to configure you own kernel until kernel upgrade time.
Nobodies first attempt works. Your own kernel is the biggest Linux learning experience, so spread out the learning.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
mrbassie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
RIA77,

If you need to ask, use genkernel and delay learning to configure you own kernel until kernel upgrade time.
Nobodies first attempt works. Your own kernel is the biggest Linux learning experience, so spread out the learning.

Au contrair. Mine did...of course it didn't occur to me that there might be configuring to be done. 70MB kernel.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrbassie,

Its the exception that proves the rule :)

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
xineg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember building kernels back at the turn of the century and they were hard to make work first time. Now it seems like they are configuring the kernels (in the distro) to build first time. There's so much enjoyment in building kernels that will operate only on the hardware your building them for. As a gentoo user and only a gentoo user for 20 years, I say roll your own kernels and start today.
PlatinumTrinity
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
RIA77,

If you need to ask, use genkernel and delay learning to configure you own kernel until kernel upgrade time

This is the correct answer. Use genkernel for your first attempt. Once you have a working system move on to do it manually if you want. No reason going beyond what genkernel does automatically if you're just going to build a kernel that works no matter what.
flysideways
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some time in the last year or so I discovered sys-kernel/gentoo-kernel and sys-kernel/gentoo-kernel-bin. I have not tried either but are there opinions in their context for a new user?
PlatinumTrinity
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flysideways wrote:
Some time in the last year or so I discovered sys-kernel/gentoo-kernel and sys-kernel/gentoo-kernel-bin. I have not tried either but are there opinions in their context for a new user?

Basically, it's so a new user can get a system booted the first go-round. You can either let the tool compile a generic kernel for you or grab one that's already been compiled. The -bin is like Funtoo although I don't know if it uses the Debian kernel like Funtoo.

Genkernel will build you a bloated but working config. You can trim it down later after you have a working system either with genkernel or the good old fashioned way.
maalth
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the rule I always use. When using a new board/system, I always use genkernel during the first install. The reason is because you can figure out what linux detected using the various tools (lspci, lm_sensors, etc). Plus, you always have a baseline kernel that is guaranteed to work. More often than not, you'll miss some part that causes your system booting problems. It's better to revert to a known working configuration rather than having to boot from install media to fix a problem. This rule has served me well over the years.
the_actuary
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maalth wrote:
This is the rule I always use. When using a new board/system, I always use genkernel during the first install. The reason is because you can figure out what linux detected using the various tools (lspci, lm_sensors, etc). Plus, you always have a baseline kernel that is guaranteed to work. More often than not, you'll miss some part that causes your system booting problems. It's better to revert to a known working configuration rather than having to boot from install media to fix a problem. This rule has served me well over the years.

Genkernel did not detect my graphics driver (intel) in my first install causing X not to work - so I would say it is not a guarantee. Had to use menuconfig and enable a bunch of drivers :(
MarkL
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Use lspci from the minimal boot Reply with quote

Long ago I tried genkernel once, and I agree, rolling your own is easier.

Boot from the minimal CD. Use lspci -k to get a list of the driver names for your hardware. In menuconfig, type the slash character(/), and enter the driver name. Use Location and Prompt to navigate in menuconfig, to enable the driver(and disable others).

Example for snd_hda_intel

Code:
Symbol: SND_HDA_INTEL [=y]
Type: tristate
Defined at sound/pci/hda/Kconfig:14
    Prompt: HD Audio PCI
    Depends: SOUND [=y] && !UML && SND [=y] && SND_PCI [=y]
            -> Sound card support (SOUND [=y])
                -> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (SND [=y])
                    -> HD-Audio

Complete the list from lspci. Stopping here, will hopefully produce a bootable kernel the first time. Then tweak afterwards to correct or add to the kernel.

Alternatively, boot with Knoppix and get the kernel driver names from lspci. Sometimes the driver names vary, and investigating why can be a good learning experience.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: