app-emulation/wine-staging: Ambiguous wording on prelink
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Warped_Dragon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject: app-emulation/wine-staging: Ambiguous wording on prelink Reply with quote

I'm looking for a bit of clarification on the prelink use flag with app-emulation/wine-staging.

The description says (emphasis mine): Run prelink on DLLs during build; For Gentoo hardened, do not disable if you do not know what this means as it can break things at runtime.

From the Gentoo Prelink page: Warning: Prelink will not work with Hardened Gentoo. This is because both projects try to change the address space mapping of shared libraries. But prelink with the -R option randomises library base addresses, providing some degree of hardened protection.

Conflict. The wine-staging package say do not disable the prelink flag if you run Hardened, the Prelink-page says do not enable prelink if you run Hardaned.

I do run a Hardened system. By default, the use flag is disabled and sys-devel/prelink is masked. Enabling the flag for wine-staging in package.use/ is ignored and has no effect, presumably because I haven't unmasked sys-devel/prelink.

I'm guessing the flag description should read "do not enable", rather than "do not disable"?
papu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: app-emulation/wine-staging: Ambiguous wording on prelink Reply with quote

Warped_Dragon wrote:
I'm looking for a bit of clarification on the prelink use flag with app-emulation/wine-staging.

The description says (emphasis mine): Run prelink on DLLs during build; For Gentoo hardened, do not disable if you do not know what this means as it can break things at runtime.

From the Gentoo Prelink page: Warning: Prelink will not work with Hardened Gentoo. This is because both projects try to change the address space mapping of shared libraries. But prelink with the -R option randomises library base addresses, providing some degree of hardened protection.

Conflict. The wine-staging package say do not disable the prelink flag if you run Hardened, the Prelink-page says do not enable prelink if you run Hardaned.

I do run a Hardened system. By default, the use flag is disabled and sys-devel/prelink is masked. Enabling the flag for wine-staging in package.use/ is ignored and has no effect, presumably because I haven't unmasked sys-devel/prelink.

I'm guessing the flag description should read "do not enable", rather than "do not disable"?

i have same question , i am using prelink and i get "problems" , my be they are normal... in some programs , wine-staging included even with prelink actived.

https://hatebin.com/minltcmslu
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: