View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hercc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:52 pm    Post subject: VirtualBox - No sound after update Reply with quote

Hi. I have described my problem here https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=95560

I think there is a similar problem here https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=93940

In short, there is no sound in guest after update to >= 5.2.32. Has anyone had a similar problem or knows how to get around it?

Another problem is that I can't downgrade because <5.2.32 are no longer supported by gentoo. I don't have sound and I don't have any solution at the moment. :/

Thanks.
Section_8
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running vbox 6.0.12. I don't remember which version, but I was having a similar problem at one time. I finally tracked down this ticket: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/18342. Issuing this command fixed it:
Quote:
VBoxManage setextradata global VBoxInternal2/Audio/ALSAAudio/BufferSizeMs "100"
hercc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Section_8
It works! Thank you :).
Section_8
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hercc wrote:
@Section_8
It works! Thank you :).

Interesting. I figured that was a long shot. It looks like one of the responders in your vbox forum thread is the same user/developer who posted that command as the fix/workaround in the vbox ticket I linked. I thought he would have responded in your forum thread if that command could fix your problem.
bluenuht
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cannot believe that it was VirtualBox that was the issue.

Had had no sound in VirtualBox for most of the this year, but had shrugged it off as not essential and I did not have time to look into it. Then I built a new Gentoo host machine, copied across my VM and decided it was time to fix the sound. About a week later and after trying every possible diagnostic tool and setting, including building Alsa from source and tracking the exact instruction where it hung, I gave up. The VM could not be fixed. Installed a new VM from a completely different source and ... same problem.

I wonder why they do not revert the change. I had a look, and to be fair that commit had a lot of other changes in the DrvAudio.cpp file. Sadly no smoking gun or obvious commit message.

Please edit your post title to include [SOLVED] so others can find it quickly.
whywhy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Section_8 wrote:
I am running vbox 6.0.12. I don't remember which version, but I was having a similar problem at one time. I finally tracked down this ticket: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/18342. Issuing this command fixed it:
Quote:

Sadly, this did not work for me ( running vbox 6.0.14 ).
I am also running ALSA only without PulseAudio on the host machine.
rndusr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Section_8 wrote:
Quote:

YES!

I have tried for a long time now to update VirtualBox from 5.2.26, but anything newer I tried had either jagged audio (5.2.*) or no audio at all (6.*). With the suggested fix I have working audio in VirtualBox 6.1.6.
Princess Nell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant. I never had any need for sound on vbox, and when I tried it today, it wasn't working. This solution helps me, too.
Erdie
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this right now - this works for me (after years without sound)
psycho
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Section_8 wrote:
Quote:

Thank you. This has been driving me nuts: my host (ALSA) audio is fine and the client reported no audio problems (just wasn't actually audible) so I've been changing client audio chipsets and disabling Windows driver signing to enable old drivers etc.; even changed the client's overall chipset type (which risks screwing up the activation of course) but nothing worked. Had just about given up (was about to uninstall VirtualBox and switch to qemu) when I thought to search these forums. Should have started here.

From the ticket details this is another example of a project breaking pure ALSA for PulseAudio's sake. Looks like the default was always 100ms but PulseAudio needs it slower. This fix in a Windows XP thread was pretty obscure: thank you for finding and posting it.

[Edit]Went to add it to the Wiki and see it's already there on the VirtualBox page. Doh :roll:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: