looking for a self-hosted server accessible from android
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xandris
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:23 am    Post subject: looking for a self-hosted server accessible from android Reply with quote

hi all,

looking through editorials like this list on alternativeto leaves me a bit bewildered. there are a lot of links, very few ebuilds, and too much marketing speak. ultimately, i'd like to buy a domain name, run a server on a passively-cooled pc, and be able to search through and stream my very modest (28GB) music collection wherever i have an internet connection on my android phone. i know someone here has achieved this, so i would really appreciate some advice! i was born stupid, so my search skills have failed me here; even just pointing me to the right thread would help. tyvm genchu users
Banana
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you plan to run the service of your own internet connection, make sure you have the required hardware, power and connection plans (upload and max. data)
If you want to rent a server online, have a look what service provides are popular in your country. In the most cases they provide a service which includes a custom domain main. Validate that your plan does have enough data transfare rate each month.

on the software side there are:
https://github.com/IrosTheBeggar/mStream
https://airsonic.github.io/
https://mopidy.com/
https://www.linuxlinks.com/musicservers/

PFL - Portage file list - find which package a file or command belongs to.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xandris,

You need to divide your question into two parts. The server part and the mobile phone part.
The receipt of streams on your devices then goes away. There are lots of android apps for that.

The server part has answers of varying degrees of cost and complexity. You need to think about thin a bit more.
You want a real whole server in a datacentre you have root access and its all yours, as long as you pay the rent.
You want a virtual server (Virtual Private Server) in a datacentre you have root access and its all yours, as long as you pay the rent.
Its like a real server but its physically a piece of a real server. This is usually smaller and lower cost. Low end offerings are too small to run Gentoo on and probably have a lot less than the 30G HDD space you need to store your music collection.
AWS even has a free tier.

You want to reat a web application, so the install is all done for you, you upload your music and off you go.

Lastly, you are going to do it all from a Raspberry Pi, or something similar using your home broadband connection.
Gentoo can do any or all of the above.

You don't need a domain name or a fixed IP to do it yourself. You use a service like no-ip to make your home dynamic IP appear to be static.
You do require a public IP though.

I've done the VPS and whole server approach. I moved when I realised I could get a whole server for the same price as my VPS.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
C5ace
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a private mail, web, dns for local network, ftp servers.

Hardware is a old laptop with a 500GB hard drive, 4GB RAM and a build in battery as UPS running Gentoo Xfce with VirtualBox.

My ISP provides me with a static ip address and PTR record for reverse DNS lockup by mail servers.

Software used is Debian and ISPconfig (ispconfig.org) running in VirtualBox and can be moved to any PC or Laptop on my home LAN. Installation, configuration and maintenance is a piece of cake.

Don't know about streaming music. Can upload a movie. place a link on my webpage and my sister can watch the movie on her Android phone or PC. She just starts her webbrowser and clicks on the link and watches the movie.
steve_v
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: looking for a self-hosted server accessible from android Reply with quote

xandris wrote:
i know someone here has achieved this

Indeed, but my server box doesn't run Gentoo, it runs Devuan - essentially for a single package, unattended-upgrades. Because I don't like needing to manually run updates on a headless box.
Configuration on Gentoo should be much the same though, the important bits like Apache and acme-sh are in portage.

Setting up the base server is pretty straightforward, all you really need is a non-CGNAT internet connection, a DDNS provider, and something like LetsEncrypt if you want SSL.
A static IP and a real domain name is preferable of course, but not critical if you can live with a lousy DDNS name. For streaming music to a single client the hardware and bandwidth requirements will be minimal, and any of the little SBCs on the market would do.

xandris wrote:
search through and stream my very modest (28GB) music collection

For the serving-to-android part, my solution is Nextcloud (in portage) for remote-accessible webdav file-storage, and supysonic (no ebuild found) for streaming to dsub.
If all you want is minimal bloat music streaming, the latter alone would suffice. It's a little obscure (I had to backport it for Devuan), but a whole lot lighter than java monstrosities like sub/airsonic and includes all the important features.
Nextcloud on the other hand has everything you could want and the kitchen sink, but it's probably overkill. I find supysonic works better as as subsonic server than the nextcloud music app anyway.
paluszak
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run jellyfin (https://jellyfin.org/) on my server at home. The android client is pretty decent, it does a good job with caching so when I'm driving and I hit a spot with poor coverage there are usually no glitches. It has some options to recode music and video on demand and for that you need a decent machine, especially if you recode FullHD or higher resolutions, but save recoding it's rather resource friendly.

It's fairly easy to set up and maintenance overhead is nil - once you point it to the right media directories it's practically maintenance free.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: