Pulseaudio, Line-in and mic, headset and pipe setup
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Illiander
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:54 pm    Post subject: Pulseaudio, Line-in and mic, headset and pipe setup Reply with quote

tl;dr: I want to play MH:Rise and have its sound and my comms come in over my headphones without everyone hearing my game sound when I broadcast on comms.

---

My setup:

Switch headphone port plugged into Line-IN.

Headset plugged into Rear MIC and Line-OUT.

Comms are currently needing to use "default" on discord web-browser in Chrome-browser.

Everything is using 3.5mm audio jacks. No USB audio, no HDMI audio stripping. Nice, simple, old-fashioned pins.

Default Gentoo sound setup. (So PulseAudio)

---

What I want to do:

Line-IN piped to Heaset Speakers, but *NOT* to "default"/Discord.

Rear MIC piped to "default"/Discord but *NOT* to Headset Speakers.

---

I can currently either have the Switch audio coming through, *OR* the microphone going to Discord, but not both.

And to make matters even more complicated, I am getting static on the Switch input, so the two inputs probably have different sample rates.

---

Does anyone know if what I want to do is possible? Easy? Please?

---

Edit:

Would it be easier to buy a headphone splitter and plug my computer and switch into it backwards?

Would that cause extra interference and problems?
psycho
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally you're fine to use headphone splitters and other kinds of audio cable splitters if they're good quality. Of course the more you plug in the more you're increasing the possibility of interference because you're effectively increasing the size of your "aerial" to pick it up...but if you're using two different outputs to send exactly the same audio signal to two different peripherals then you're actually decreasing the complexity of your setup in some respects by using one and splitting it. Ditto for inputs. Again your cables and splitter need to be good quality and well shielded or the computer itself can produce a bit of hum...but unless you're using audiophile-quality headphones at high volume I doubt you'll notice any quality loss from a splitter.

Re the original question about pulseaudio's capabilities, I don't know. I've recently given up trying to get it to direct audio to specific pairs of (simultaneously connected) bluetooth headphones: it didn't seem to be able to do it whereas it was possible with plain ALSA. I'm happy to have ditched pulseaudio for ALSA's more precise manual control over what's happening, but don't want to recommend that as I can't offer any advice around the specifics of the .asoundrc you'd need to achieve what you want there, and someone may have a nice easy solution involving pulseaudio. When it does actually work, pulseaudio involves a lot less effort than ALSA.
Illiander
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

psycho wrote:
When it does actually work, pulseaudio involves a lot less effort than ALSA.

Yeah, Pulse is the Apple of Linux sound setups: "If it does what you want, then it's really easy. If it doesn't do what you want, then good luck ever making it work."

I'd be perfectly happing going to ALSA, but I really don't want to spend a week fiddling with settings to get back to where I am currently.

This happens to me far too often.
garrison
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Pulseaudio, Line-in and mic, headset and pipe setup Reply with quote

Illiander wrote:
tl;dr: I want to play MH:Rise and have its sound and my comms come in over my headphones without everyone hearing my game sound when I broadcast on comms.

Not easy to see what exactly you are trying to achieve, but have a look at this maybe there is just a couple of loopback or combine sinks you need https://www.maartenbaert.be/simplescreenrecorder/recording-game-audio/#using-pulseaudio
Illiander
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That link probably gives me most of the info I need.

Now if only I could get both my sound inputs to be seperate sources that both run at the same time (with different sample rates handled) I'd probably have everything.
garrison
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Illiander wrote:
That link probably gives me most of the info I need.

Now if only I could get both my sound inputs to be seperate sources that both run at the same time (with different sample rates handled) I'd probably have everything.

Sample rate difference is handled automagically (takes some CPU% for that.)

On that link, if on the picture you swap 'Microphone' and 'Game' and then attach speaker to 'duplex_out' and make 'game_out' the input of your game for comms broadcast you are probably set.
Illiander
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garrison wrote:

Sample rate difference is handled automagically (takes some CPU% for that.)

On that link, if on the picture you swap 'Microphone' and 'Game' and then attach speaker to 'duplex_out' and make 'game_out' the input of your game for comms broadcast you are probably set.

I had to set the sample rate manually for my headphone mic, and when I plugged my Switch in and piped it to my speakers I got the same "wrong sample rate" buzz I got on my mic before I fixed its sample rate.

And the other problem is that PulseAudio doesn't seem to let me have *both* mic in and line in active at the same time. I have to select one or the other to be "active", when using the GUI config.

I'm not opposed to working with config files, but I need to know what to do to make them do what I want, and which config files to look at.
Illiander
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevermind.

Bought a mixer and extra cables.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: