eMac USB2 won't boot the installer all the way
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicky7044
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:27 am    Post subject: eMac USB2 won't boot the installer all the way Reply with quote

I tried installing gentoo on my eMac, and it gets stuck at "Freeing unused kernel memory: 276K"
Is this an issue with my RAM or is the ISO broken? I have OS X 10.5.8 on the hard drive currently.
dotexe1337
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the same issue when booting the livecd, just from a standard 700mb cd. i have tried it on 2 different machines: a 1.25ghz emac and a 733mhz powermac g4, and both machines have this issue, so it seems to be an issue with the iso currently. hopefully it can be resolved soon.
iQQator
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have the same issue too, eMac 800 Ati.
Try on qemu-system-pcc -M mac99 too, the latest live CD broken
I want to try install stage3 from Debian worked distro :)
schwarzygesetzlos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess most straightforward way to get some attention and the Gentoo Install Media fixed for your system would be to file a bug for Gentoo Release Media here. And select LiveCD/DVD and Hardware: PPC64 afterwards.

Of course a meaningful bug description (and reading the Bug Reporting Guide first) is always a good thing. ;)
mattst88
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I build the release media for PowerPC, but I have no clue what is wrong. Presumably something wrong with the kernel, but I don't have a bunch of machines to test (nor time to test even if I had the machines).
GreenNeonWhale
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:00 am    Post subject: Use an older LiveCD Version? Reply with quote

Hi,

Do you have an older version of the LiveCD to try? I have a VERY old version that I can put an image of on-line if you'd like. This install CD works just fine on a PowerMac B&W G3. Just reply here if you'd like me to put that up.
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try with minimal from https://bouncer.gentoo.org/fetch/root/all/releases/ppc/autobuilds/20200309T104007Z
mattst88
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charles17 wrote:
Try with minimal from https://bouncer.gentoo.org/fetch/root/all/releases/ppc/autobuilds/20200309T104007Z

Are you simply suggesting to try the latest? There's not any reason to believe the problem has been fixed without human intervention.
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattst88 wrote:
Are you simply suggesting to try the latest? There's not any reason to believe the problem has been fixed without human intervention.

In case the latest doesn't work try one of the previous and open a bug.
mattst88
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

charles17 wrote:
mattst88 wrote:

In case the latest doesn't work try one of the previous and open a bug.

Not helping...

Anyway, I've made some changes to the kernel configs used on the livecd. See https://gitweb.gentoo.org/proj/releng.git/commit/?id=c9e082c96f59b383090aff24757ac7c162b3399c

The current ISO at the time of this writing is 20200314T103703Z, so anything newer than this will be built with the new kernel configs. Please test and let me know.
mattst88
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New ISO is uploading now, version 20200317T155607Z. It has some Kconfig changes, but they're just stabs in the dark.

Please give it a try:

https://gentoo.osuosl.org/releases/ppc/autobuilds/20200317T155607Z/
iQQator
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

At now I built gentoo on booted finnix ppc image, but now, after change my eMac logic board to 1.25Ghz version I can't boot from usb stick at all, nor installed Debian linux too :))
GreenNeonWhale
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:08 pm    Post subject: bad hardware? Reply with quote

iQQator,

It sounds like you might have bad hardware.
Do you get a boot chime, and an image on the screen when you power the machine up? If so, if you power the machine up, and hold down the option key, you should get a menu of all the bootable partitions the firmware sees in the form of clickable buttons. Does this work? Try putting the USB stick in while the machine is powered off, power it up, hold down the option key. Does it show you a button to boot the USB stick? If so, try clicking it.
Well, that's all I've got so far. If you post the results here in this thread, I'll be checking back here and there. Good luck! :) (and I hope your hardware is OK.)
mattst88
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a report that install-powerpc-minimal-20200422T222055Z.iso works :)

https://gentoo.osuosl.org/releases/ppc/current-iso/

More confirmation is always welcome :)
iQQator
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: bad hardware? Reply with quote

GreenNeonWhale wrote:
iQQator,

Do you get a boot chime, and an image on the screen when you power the machine up? If so, if you power the machine up, and hold down the option key, you should get a menu of all the bootable partitions the firmware sees in the form of clickable buttons. Does this work? Try putting the USB stick in while the machine is powered off, power it up, hold down the option key. Does it show you a button to boot the USB stick? If so, try clicking it.
Well, that's all I've got so far. If you post the results here in this thread, I'll be checking back here and there. Good luck! :) (and I hope your hardware is OK.)

No, my hardware is good :)
In finally I was install gentoo over finnix-108.iso :) It was booting on this Mac...
Now I have bootable image of gentoo.iso also :) Something has been fixed :)
GreenNeonWhale
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: bad hardware? Reply with quote

iQQator wrote:
GreenNeonWhale wrote:
iQQator,

No, my hardware is good :)
In finally I was install gentoo over finnix-108.iso :) It was booting on this Mac...
Now I have bootable image of gentoo.iso also :) Something has been fixed :)

I'm pleased to hear that everything worked out. :)
iQQator
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest iso is not bootable again... not over Alt menu, not over OF :(

Sorry, this problem consist in that external DVD drive won't boot any bootable disks on my eMac.
I bought internal SATA DVD (LG) drive and converter IDE-SATA, and all work well :)

Thank you for your support of this platform!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: