Qmail remote SMTP authentication
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thanny
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Qmail remote SMTP authentication Reply with quote

At some point, the patch to do remote SMTP authentication was removed from the ebuild, so now I have a broken qmail installation (i.e. I cannot route mail via an external relay that requires authentication).

Does anyone know a reliable way to get this patch back into the build? I tried adding several variations of it, but they were all prevented from working via the addition of the utf8 patch, which itself is automatically selected when you enable SSL.
xineg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you be a little more specific with what your asking, you want others immediately on the same page as you are: You've opened well here:
Quote:
At some point, the patch to do remote SMTP authentication was removed from the ebuild.
But what ebuild are you talking about? Dont give the colloquial name, give the ebuild so others don't have to hunt for it: mail-mta/netqmail.
Quote:
tried adding several variations of it
describe exactly what you did. Did you patch it manually, put in in an overlay and patch it with portage, or? Perhaps you've tried to roll back to a version that's patched like https://bugs.gentoo.org/375879

Last edited by xineg on Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanny,

I use qmail but only for incoming now.

Which ebuild worked?
Which ebuild is not working?
Full names and versions please.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
thanny
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is mail-mta/netqmail.

There was a patch in the ebuild in the past which allowed specifying SMTP authentication parameters in the "smtproutes" file. That patch was removed in a recent ebuild for some unknown reason.

When I try to add any version of that patch manually by placing it in /etc/portage/patches in the appropriate subdirectory, the patch fails. I did modify the patch to use the correct path for the patched files in the ebuild process, which in this case means prepending the path "netqmail-1.06" to the file name. The patching process finds the patch file, but fails while applying it.

Looking at the code, it seems it's failing because a new patch added to the ebuild - "qmail-smtputf8.patch" - that changes the same area of code in the same file (qmail-remote.c).

I'm trying to avoid having to create an overlay or rewrite the patch, if someone else has already done the work.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanny,

Only netqmail-1.06-r14.ebuild is left in the tree and that's dated Dec 31.

As root, run
Code:
grep netqmail /var/log/emerge.log
and tell us the last version you were using.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
thanny
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
thanny,

I use qmail but only for incoming now.

Which ebuild worked?
Which ebuild is not working?
Full names and versions please.

I don't know when exactly it changed. I only update when I have to, so it was probably a while ago. The package history maintained by Gentoo is insufficient to figure it out.
Hu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo tracks the package history in git, so everything you need is there. It may not be easy to use through the web interface, but it is not insufficient.

The patch was probably dropped because of the conflict with the utf-8 patch. If you can't get both to work as-is, then they are likely incompatible, and someone had to make a judgment call which one to keep. That call went against you. This is part of the reason such patches need to be merged upstream, so that we don't have multiple incompatible patches around. If you don't need the utf-8 patch, you could try reverting/blocking it, so that your authentication patch does not conflict with it.
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use postfix, cyrus-sasl, courier-imap as the main components of my mail server. I first set this up following a HOWTO I found in the forum circa 2005. I'm far from expert, but postfix let's me route to an external smtp server and cyrus-sasl handles the authentication (like magic to me).

I doubt anybody wants to change core components of their mail server, but I can confirm that it works. I've had it set up in three different situations, last time around 2010. I'd hate to have to figure out how to hang all that together again from scratch.
amd64/23.0/split-usr/desktop (stable), OpenRC, -systemd -pulseaudio -uefi
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: