[Solved]Problem emerging python during installation on SPARC
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cosmogroid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: [Solved]Problem emerging python during installation on SPARC Reply with quote

I'm new to Gentoo (but not to Linux) and I'm installing on a nonstandard architecture but hopefully a wizard will be able to help me. I'm trying to get a basic installation on a sun server with the sparc64 architecture and I have followed the sparc install guide up to the poing where you run
Code:
emerge --ask --verbose --update --deep --newuse @world
Every time it fails when compling python. The only things that I have done differently from the handbook are that as I am on a low baud serial console I have run emerge with "--quiet" instead of "--verbose", and I have changed the profile before running emerge to "default/linux/sparc/17.0/64ul" for 64-bit userland. I have looked in the build.log and the only problem that I can find is something about an "ffi.h" header file but I don't know where to go from there. I am under the impression that this isn't related to the fact that I'm on sparc but I really don't know. Thanks in advance because I have no idea what I'm doing.

build.log : https://pastebin.com/EdEN4jKE
emerge --info '=dev-lang/python-3.9.1-r1::gentoo' : https://pastebin.com/d2s2GfSS
emerge -pqv '=dev-lang/python-3.9.1-r1::gentoo' : https://pastebin.com/r2seApUw
uname -a :
Code:
Linux livecd 5.4.80-gentoo-r1-sparc64 #2 SMP Mon Mar 8 13:34:42 UTC 2021 sparc64 sun4v UltraSparc T3 (Niagara3) GNU/Linux

Last edited by cosmogroid on Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Gentoo on Sparc.
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
checking whether compiling and linking against OpenSSL works... no
That looks like it will be a problem, and based on later output, may be your most immediate problem. Much farther down, we see:
Code:
/usr/lib/gcc/sparc-unknown-linux-gnu/9.3.0/../../../../sparc-unknown-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -lssl
/usr/lib/gcc/sparc-unknown-linux-gnu/9.3.0/../../../../sparc-unknown-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -lcrypto
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
So the questions then are (1) why is Python trying to use OpenSSL after its configure script determined that will not work, and (2) why does that not work? A working OpenSSL (or equivalent) is mandatory on general purpose systems. What is the output of emerge --pretend --verbose dev-libs/openssl?
cosmogroid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'm an idiot. I used the 32-bit stage3 tarball instead of the 64-bit one. I have now emerged with no issues. Sorry for wasting anybody's time.
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If as a result of this thread, you learned how to better diagnose failures (such as by trying to answer the questions I posed above), then the thread was not a waste of time. :) Even if you did not improve your skills, this thread may yet serve as an aid to future readers, since you wrote in the first post that you used a 64-bit profile, and you mentioned in your follow-up that you incorrectly mixed in 32-bit code and that this was the cause of the problem. Perhaps someone else will make the same mistake, find your thread, and solve their problem more quickly as a result.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: