Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Practicality of older machine running Gentoo.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
That sounds like one too many layers of abstraction (NM, that is). Have you tried swap-over-NFS instead? It might cope with intermittent connections better.

Actually, no... it seemed to be a spurious event that was generated by nm-applet when I started it. Just need to be careful not to run nm-applet if it's not already running, which includes logging in and out of xfce. It promptly killed my merge that was running in gnu-screen.

I figure I should use nbd because portage itself behaves very poorly over NFS, last I tried.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had problems with portage and autofs not automounting, but I think that has something to do with portage's namespace sandboxing. If I work around that (mount it before running emerge) it hasn't caused any other problems.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time I try building on NFS, portage constantly gives me files it can't delete for some reason. Never had an issue on a filesystem on a block device...
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a good reason to avoid it, yeah... I'm using NFSv4.1-only, don't know if that makes a difference.
technotorpedo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm67 wrote:
Well if you are tight on memory the solution is systemd-networkd :-)

And a usb ethernet card as second nic.
swap on sd card doesn't work for me, the card/controller overheats quickly and board goes in thermal check

Cool ... +1 networkd + wpa_supplicant, thing works great, dead simple, feather light on resources. Never messed with using a thumb-drive or sd-card for swap, thought about it, poked around, decided wasn't worth messing with at that time. Also stuff like zswap and etc. Though you mention memory constraints being a factor. My old beastie laptop has ample memory, 4gbs, personally think it's how someone uses it vs how much of it they have. Systems nowadays tend to come with a ridiculous amount of excess in system resources. More/higher specs is generally better o course, though for vast majority with a modern system they'll never effectively config or utilize what they've got anyway.

@Guy with NFS troubles, sounds like obvious misconfiguration, file permissions etc. Not all filesystems are setup to even care about gnu/Linux permissions etc anyways. Errrr ... outside of this mostly useless junk(typing practice.) Nothing so much helpful to offer. As ever though am going to go out on a limb and say whatever problems are easily solved with enough reading of doc's, research and poking at it until you understand and get it working.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NFS problems are race condition problems and not permission problems. Not only that, it still sort of works but gives a lot of diagnostic output indicating potential issues though a lot can be ignored and cleaned up later. Pretty much the only program that has issues with nfs is portage, I've not seen anything else fail on nfs, my home directory is on nfs as well, and even sendmail/procmail locking works fine.

Now I don't know about NFSv4 behavior, it may be better. I've been using NFSv2/3 since forever and haven't gotten around to upgrading.

Kind of strange, seems people frequently put /usr/portage and especially /usr/portage/distfiles on nfs but not PORTAGE_TMPDIR ...
erm67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with compiling the kernel, or whatever uses make is that nfs makes heavy use of caching async i/o, in particular usually the problem is that:
1) the timestamp of files is not guaranteed on nfs, the server might return an approximation of it to the client before the files is actually written on disk even if the clocks of server and client are in ntp-sync
2) the client might cache the wrong timestamp until the file attributes cache expires,
3) the client updates the file attributes from the server, that in the mean time has stored the file on the backing file system and returns the correct and possibly different timestamp
4) make gets all upset because the timestamp of a file has changed

That is just how nfs work, it might get better if you mount using sync and noac but it gets so horribly slow that is unusable. or maybe try to increase cache timeout on the client (actimeo) to a very long time so that the timestamps are not re-read from the server during compilation.

My fediverse account: @erm67@erm67.dynu.net
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm pretty sure mounting it sync would fix things, even v2/v3, but it'd slow things down significantly.
Not sure how other people are using nfs for portage tmpdir, is this how people do this? I can't see how this can only be affecting one person.

Also why is portage depending on timestamps on the scratch tmpdir, perhaps portage should use two tmpdirs - one for locks on the local filesystem that guarantees operations being atomic and monotonic, and all other noncritical "bulk" stuff goes on the other.

Bother bother. After 17 hours for rust (not including the failed runs), it's building firefox now. At least firefox can partially be distcc'ed but the load average is too high due to rust taking more resources than make assumes...
erm67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With nfs4 you can get rid of most of the portmap/rpcbind non-sense and save some ram :-) unfortunately mountd is still required even if nobody really understands why .... Maybe nfs5 will be fully free of that ancient stuff.

eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately RAM isn't that bad with 2GiB for a single core, just need to be careful and not make it thrash when make/ninja gets confused and runs too many big processes.

Anyway, the for the Atom's update is done for now including kernel 4.19.86 which I distcc'ed.

Until next time... or if I feel like updating my 1GiB Pentium-M 1.6GHz next. It's unfortunately kind of flaky with 1.5GiB RAM...

BTW, I thought that portmap/rpcbind though annoying to configure, was really a system's DPNS or dynamic port name server (contrast and similarities to the much more common dynamic DNS). Helps to prevent collisions between different services trying to get the same port. Other than configuration, it's probably not that big of a deal to have around, though nowadays having a fixed port is more common though ensuring no other application uses it can be the challenge (hey, why can't I use port 80 for my whizbangsoftware?)
erm67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remote procedure call
everybody dreams that other people runs programs remotely on their server :-) Using only port 2049 for everything also eases firewall rules.
NFS4 doesn't require it but some ancillary protocols like the nfs mount protocol were not updated.

recently a change in nfs-utils made rpc.mountd require 32Mb resident memory which is really bad if you only have 128Mb on the NAS and it is used only to mount the share, I used samba for a while but in the end updated the NAS. Samba with posix extensions can be faster than nfs and less resource hungry, that really say everything about the current state of NFS. Samba also does everything using a couple of ports.

Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm67 wrote:
With nfs4 you can get rid of most of the portmap/rpcbind non-sense and save some ram :-) unfortunately mountd is still required even if nobody really understands why .... Maybe nfs5 will be fully free of that ancient stuff.

rpc.mountd is required because it does all the checking of /etc/exports access controls (you don't want the kernel parsing user-editable strings). In nfs4 it doesn't need to be exposed to the network.

Quote:
recently a change in nfs-utils made rpc.mountd require 32Mb resident memory

That doesn't sound right. I'm running 2.4.2-r1 on default bloated glibc ~amd64 and it only uses 3MB RSS.

Last time I tried to use Samba on a low end NAS it was CPU-bound. I ended up using FTP instead.
erm67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
erm67 wrote:

rpc.mountd is required because it does all the checking of /etc/exports access controls (you don't want the kernel parsing user-editable strings). In nfs4 it doesn't need to be exposed to the network.

In other words it requires a useless firewall rule .... why the fuck it uses the network if it is not required even if I disable NFS 2 and 3? Do you realize how stupid is to say that it open a port that is not required and I can close it using a firewall?

Ant P. wrote:

Quote:
recently a change in nfs-utils made rpc.mountd require 32Mb resident memory

That doesn't sound right. I'm running 2.4.2-r1 on default bloated glibc ~amd64 and it only uses 3MB RSS.

Yes it was probably a bug, now it is fixed also for me .... but anyway 128MB was too little memory for a nas and it is 7MB RSS on aaarch64... btw I just used an older nfs-utils release that did not have the problem, but 7MB resident memory to parse the fucking /etc/exports and do nothing else? still too much. A bash script would probably do the same job with less resources and probably doesn't leak memory at every odd release.

Code:

root@nas:/# ps -ef|grep mountd
root     17724     1  0 13:56 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/rpc.mountd --manage-gids -N 2 -N 3
root@nas:/# cat /proc/17724/statm
8265 7124 626 20 0 7052 0
root@nas:/# bc <<< 7142*4/1024
27 (Megabytes RSS)

Ant P. wrote:

Last time I tried to use Samba on a low end NAS it was CPU-bound. I ended up using FTP instead.

cpu-bound is a bit vague but if the cpu was an atom I understand :-)
samba runs on most firewall routers and a lot of people takes time to optimize it for slow CPU, like 400Mhz, nobody does that for NFS, they are so arrogant that when someone points out that one of their daemons open ports that are not required tell him to close the port with a firewall, maybe statefull ... the best thing to do to improve performance on slow CPU. Not to mention that recent nfs-utils release uses some syscalls only found on recent kernels, I bet that even older LTS kernel cannot run it ..... and they are plain useless like you wrote.
I tried once to compile the kernel over ftp but it was too complicated .....

I had to configure samba a bit, and mount the share using the kernel cifs module, it depends also on the underlaying file system.
This is also useful:
https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/current/man-html/vfs_btrfs.8.html

Clearly it's all a conspiracy orchestrated by Poeeettering and ReadHat to push their nfs-ganesha

figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a single core Celeron with 4 G RAM (the extra memory really helps and can often be found really inexpensive these days) which I update only every couple of months. XFCE4 desktop, Firefox-bin Thunderbird-bin, LibreOffice-bin and otherwise little fluff. Updates usually run for a couple of days and I don't usually have to attend to them. These days, Portage is really smart. I use thsi small laptop mainly when I travel and it's a pleasure to use.
amd64/23.0/split-usr/desktop (stable), OpenRC, -systemd -pulseaudio -uefi
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which "Celeron" is it? clock speed and architecture?
Some Celerons are fairly fast, but pretty much all Atoms are universally slow...

Heck the Celeron-M 1.5GHz handily beats my Atom 1.6GHz (both have 2GiB RAM, though the Atom's SSD makes disk io comparisons unfair), and there are other CPUs branded as Celeron that are even faster.

That being said, there are Celerons that use Atom cores...
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm67 wrote:
In other words it requires a useless firewall rule .... why the fuck it uses the network if it is not required even if I disable NFS 2 and 3? Do you realize how stupid is to say that it open a port that is not required and I can close it using a firewall?

It... doesn't?
Code:
# netstat -tulp | rg 'rpc|nfs'
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:nfs             0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      -
tcp6       0      0 [::]:nfs                [::]:*                  LISTEN      -

Quote:
cpu-bound is a bit vague but if the cpu was an atom I understand :-)

It was a plastic black box with a SATA disk inside and an ethernet port, probably a low-end ARM or MIPS. Wasn't my hardware, I was just given the job of making it work.
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
Which "Celeron" is it? clock speed and architecture?
Some Celerons are fairly fast, but pretty much all Atoms are universally slow...

Intel Core 2 Solo SU3500 1.40GHz and it's slow. Here is a link to a story about the little Gateway EC1803, I have the US version.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/Gateway_EC1803h_notebook
amd64/23.0/split-usr/desktop (stable), OpenRC, -systemd -pulseaudio -uefi
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on architectural improvements of Core2 over Pentium-M, I'd say the SU3500 is still faster than the Celeron-M 1.5GHz, which is faster than the Atom 1.6GHz. But yeah agreed it's not that much faster.

That 4GiB RAM I think is minimum if you're building 64-bit. I've pretty much given up on 2GiB 64-bit, it swaps badly during build even using 1 core where 32-bit is fine.
technotorpedo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the interesting info guys, not at all a nfs expert. Outside of generally knowing what the hades it even is, shrugs. Though there ya go OP, network boot, boot server etc ? Have zero idea if that's practical or useful to you for what you're dealing with. Imagine something like Gentoo can be custom tailored to just about any niche or use, to a point of being better, at least surely as good as anything else gnu/Linux. On a given isolated system not sure but being gnu/Linux there's almost NEVER a shortage of options. Just a matter of settling on what works best for x-user/usecase. According to needs + preferences. :)
e3k
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got a "new" machine. intel core i5 2520m. compiling at snail speed after selecting the desktop profile. got to get distcc running. probably i should have done this before selecting the desktop profile? because now when i emerge distcc it pulls 40 packages...
first i thought it will be easy to setup distcc. then i thought impossible. now it is somehow (compile error with g++ versions mismatch 9.2.0 vs. 8.3.0) running debian <-> gentoo. lets see if firefox executes after it is done.
that rustc is an overkill for the poor old sandybridge. cpu 100% and half of RAM eaten up. very very slow. the compilation of the dependencies took an afternoon today *sigh*
i give up. distcc does not do rust or vice versa. also gcc and g++ not distributed. stopping distccd on both machines and wifi on the gentoo host.
is there any non rust based browser? i know only links...
[OK] the compilation of the package firefox did stop after almost 2h. does it mean the broken distcc slows things down or am i just expecting too much from a 10y old CPU? Next time i use binary as last resort.
updating debian to testing provided me the current version of gcc. now distcc does also g++ and gcc. also tuning the -j and -l flags helped me to use all the cores. i had to add -fPIC compile flag on the sandy bridge to be able to successfully compile.

Flux & Contemplation - Portrait of an Artist in Isolation

eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for being >1 year late, but:

gcc, g++, and clang(!!!) should work over distcc along with their associated cross compilers. One thing that may be useful to run "distcc-config --update-masquerade" to update the fake gcc directories. Also note you should uninstall old versions of clang/llvm prior to 10, it seems to really mess up distcc due to how update-env is handled for old versions of clang/llvm.

But you're right, distcc does not distribute rust commands. You need distrust which still doesn't exist yet even now, as far as I know.
My quad core sandybridge completes rust in under 2 hours and yes it uses a lot of RAM. Currently it's less than 1h 30min as I distcc (to a few core2 cores) the clang/llvm portions of rust, but the other portions of rust cannot be distributed. Firefox completes in just over the hour mark (again with distcc - which again should also help the llvm/clang portions). I'd expect a dual core sandybridge to take twice as long as my quad core sandbridge, and maybe more as I have some multicore distcc helpers.

I think chromium is still all gcc or clang.

And be patient with your builds. My atom-1.6GHz takes about a day to finish compiling rust even with helpers for the llvm/clang portions...
e3k
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks eccerr0r but i gave up. on this slow machine i am running now ARCH.

Flux & Contemplation - Portrait of an Artist in Isolation

Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until end 2013 I ran Gentoo with Xfce on an old Gateway Solo 9300 laptop:

- Intel Mobile Pentium III Coppermine (800 MHz)
– 288 MB DRAM
– ATI RAGE Mobility-P, 16 MB SGRAM
– 10 GB HDD
– Belkin F5D5010 CardBus Network Card (wired Ethernet)
– Linksys WPC54G (EU) v7.1 wireless notebook adapter

I installed Gentoo just for the fun of it, and it worked quite well for a few years but upgrading gradually became more and more time-consuming and 'painful'. I just wouldn't bother with Gentoo on something like that now.

I still have my ASRock ION 330HT nettop, which used to be my HTPC until smart TVs made it obsolete:

– Intel Atom 330 (1.6 GHz)
– 4 GB DDR2 (the maximum the machine can take)
– NVIDIA ION Graphics
– 320 GB HDD
– NVIDIA MCP79 Gigabit Ethernet controller
– Atheros Communications AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter

With two 2GB RAM modules fitted the nettop detects 3327MB of RAM. From what I can glean on the Web, this is a limitation of the motherboard or BIOS in this nettop, because the Intel Atom 330 CPU itself has a 64-bit instruction set and is capable of supporting 4GB of RAM. Anyway, that machine has Lubuntu installed on it at the moment, and I wouldn't dream of installing Gentoo on that machine either; in my opinion it's a waste of time and energy compiling packages on something like that when lightweight binary distributions can be installed and updated easily and quickly these days, and work very well indeed (at least on the three machines of mine that have binary distributions installed). I keep Gentoo on my two laptops with Core i7 CPUs and plenty of RAM. Actually, my old Compal NBLB2 laptop (with max permissible 8 GB RAM and first-generation Core i7 CPU) struggles with Gentoo and KDE upgrades these days, and I have been tempted to install a binary distribution on it instead, but have resisted so far as I am a sucker for punishment (and I like Gentoo)!

Fitzcarraldo's blog
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a hard time believing even modern machines are compiling rust in much less than 1 hour(unless you have something like a 6-core or more? Clock speeds and IPC don't seem to be getting that much faster anymore.)

This machine gets distcc and nbd (for swap)/nfs(for disk) help but yes it's still being updated/used (I'm posting this message with this machine!):
Code:
$ sudo qlop -mvt sys-devel/gcc|tail -1
2021-02-16T14:16:22 >>> sys-devel/gcc-9.3.0-r2: 12:51:37
$ sudo qlop -mvt dev-lang/rust|tail -1
2021-02-18T07:21:21 >>> dev-lang/rust-1.47.0-r2: 28:09:38
$ sudo qlop -mvt www-client/firefox|tail -1
2021-02-20T04:44:34 >>> www-client/firefox-78.7.1-r1: 12:11:08
$ uname -a
Linux chii 5.4.97-gentoo #1 SMP Thu Feb 18 00:43:10 MST 2021 i686 Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
$ free
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:        2059376      490120     1017904       47836      551352     1304304
Swap:       1048572           0     1048572

As long as it will still build it'll still be used. It only has one memory slot so 2GiB is all it will take (and I suspect that its chipset likewise will limit RAM to ~3372MB due to mapping limitations even if I could find a 4GiB module.) Also portage uses much less ram on 32-bit machines so that's also a boon.

My P3's, 32-bit athlons, etc., are all pretty much got retired until I can somehow build firefox without SSE2 instructions...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: