View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
equaeghe
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: [solved] krunner and konsole not working after framew. upd Reply with quote

I did the kde-frameworks update (5.74 → 5.77, I think) yesterday evening. After logging out and in again, I cannot start applications using krunner: normally, when I type, I get a list of applications and I select, but now no suggestions at all appear. Moreover, also in the menu, there are no applications, so I cannot start them that way either. Furthermore, konsole (inside yakuake) wouldn't start. To make it baffling, when I log in with another user (clean test account), all these things work. So I guess something in my user's profile/settings became corrupted, but I have no idea where to look. So any pointers are welcome.

Last edited by equaeghe on Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you start xterm, so that we can have a text interface with which to do further work? If yes, please start konsole from the xterm, so that any error output printed by Konsole appears in the xterm, where we can see it. I hope we will get some message there that will hint as to what is causing konsole not to work properly.
equaeghe
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
Can you start xterm, so that we can have a text interface with which to do further work? If yes, please start konsole from the xterm, so that any error output printed by Konsole appears in the xterm, where we can see it. I hope we will get some message there that will hint as to what is causing konsole not to work properly.

I'm at a loss of how to start anything. (I still have an active Firefox session that persists across sessions, so I can use that as a basic file explorer and view files, so I know that, e.g., Okular works. Also a few programs are accessible through shortcuts.)

After Googling a bit, I decided I'd try running kbuildsycoca5 --noincremental to regenerate the applications cache, but I get the message
Code:
# kbuildsycoca5 --noincremental
kbuildsycoca running...
kf.service.sycoca: Couldn't lock "/home/equaeghe/.config/ksycoca5_[…]=.lock"

I then decided to delete files like that there (which required root privileges for some reason) but got the same message afterwards.

There is something messed up in my user config, but it isn't clear what.
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could vt-switch to a text mode console, log in there, and run DISPLAY=:0 xterm &, then switch back to your graphical session. That should get you a terminal, assuming that XAUTHORITY is in the default place, and that your graphical session is on display 0. If not, you may need to export XAUTHORITY to point to the xauth file, and/or adjust DISPLAY.
equaeghe
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
You could vt-switch to a text mode console, log in there, and run DISPLAY=:0 xterm &, then switch back to your graphical session.

Great tip! I now have a kitty terminal opened (no xterm on my system, actually). From there I can start applications. They do look a bit different, though, as if some settings have not been picked up. I can also start konsole, without problems. However, embedded konsoles do not start, I get a message that I should install konsole…

When I look at the logs, they are just drowning in sycoca-related messages. I think I really need to find out how to run kbuildsycoca5 successfully.
equaeghe
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

equaeghe wrote:
When I look at the logs, they are just drowning in sycoca-related messages. I think I really need to find out how to run kbuildsycoca5 successfully.

The issue was that ~/.cache was owned by root and not the user, for some reason. Fixing that seems to have fixed all the issues reported.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: