Searching an mbox file for a bitcoin wallet key
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
finalturismo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:30 am    Post subject: Searching an mbox file for a bitcoin wallet key Reply with quote

As the title says...... i deleted my old server alonggggggg time ago with a wallet key that had some bitcoin in it.

I need to search an entire mbox file for a specific string of text with the length of the bitcoin wallet hash key.

The key used for importing your wallet.........

I know it can be imported to thunderbird but its a 4GB file from near 10 years ago.....

It will take me forever to search all the emails.

Anyway i used to email my self stuff that was important without a subject line.... and the email is so old the Google email search does not work on older emails....

Also on older emails it does not even show an attachment or picture icon in the email option bar....

Interesting this is if i open the email the picture attachment is still inside....

Anyway i need to figure out how to make a small bash script file to search for this string of text.....

If anyone can help that would be great.
Banana
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mbox file should be easily searchable with grep.
There is also: https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/net-mail/grepmail and https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/net-mail/mboxgrep
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reminds me of Regular Expressions.

What is the form of a bitcoin wallet hash key? N characters, all of them from the alphanumeric set, with no whitespace? If yes:
Code:
$ printf '%s\n' a ab abc a- | grep -E '^[[:alnum:]]{2}$'
ab
Change the 2 to whatever value of N you need. If it varies, use {N1,N2}, where N1 is the minimum length and N2 is the maximum length. Just hope that your N is long enough that it doesn't match regular words. :)
szatox
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, you should have a seed rather than the key itself, which is a bunch of random words from English dictionary.
Chances are you're looking for ~10 whitespace separated words longer than 3 letters each (no, I am not sure about it). Without any special characters in between.
Something like that can be easily turned into a regex. I'd give it a try.
Well, I'd also try a context search for something like "bitcoin|[[:space:]]coin[[:space:]s]|btc". Like grep -C 20, should be more than enough.

Good luck and hope google's AI haven't figured you out by now :rofl:
finalturismo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

szatox wrote:
Actually, you should have a seed rather than the key itself, which is a bunch of random words from English dictionary.
Chances are you're looking for ~10 whitespace separated words longer than 3 letters each (no, I am not sure about it). Without any special characters in between.
Something like that can be easily turned into a regex. I'd give it a try.
Well, I'd also try a context search for something like "bitcoin|[[:space:]]coin[[:space:]s]|btc". Like grep -C 20, should be more than enough.

Good luck and hope google's AI haven't figured you out by now :rofl:

I actually think Google is stealing bitcoin, right when i searched my old email for bitcoin i was locked out of my account and took a few trys to get back in.

I mean they made it public they are deleting old email and Google Drive data, i think that old data is being searched through for missing hashcodes because of people forgetting passwords etc....

The reason i say this is because 10+ year old lost bitcoin data is worth billions and billions....

Considering i have 3.46 BTC lost in cyberspace i think there is a Good chance its in my old Gmail account i used for YEARS....

I mistakenly wiped my servers out with my old wallet hash and now i deeply regret it XD.

I purchased a few back when they were around 35 a coin....

Anyway i have a good feeling i emailed my self the wallet hash with no subject line..... I used to email my self everything that was somewhat important.

I downloaded both of those packages but i have no clue on how to use them....

I cant seem to find any good tuts on grepmail or grepmbox....
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: