Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
tld wrote:
Tell me that's not the nuttiest shit you've ever heard.

It may not be, but I can't think of one at the moment!
OMG...my bad. As it turns out the V-moda headphones I was testing with are TRRS and not TRS which is probably the issue....I must be blind.

Now however I have a NEW issue: I just bought a new 4K monitor, also with built in speakers like the one I was using, and I'm NOT getting any audio...ffs. The only difference is that with the new monitor I'm using a DisplayPort instead of HDMI...both on the Radeon graphics card of course.

That really shouldn't make any difference correct?? Wow I just can't win here.

EDIT: Just to verify that the actual speakers aren't broken, I just tried HDMI and DO have audio. Pretty strange. That should all be handled by the same kernel stuff right?

Tom
saellaven
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of displayport cables don't support audio properly...

I tried my monitor with the built in speakers with an HDMI cable and still no success... I need to dig out a pair of headphones to plug into the monitor - maybe the speakers themselves are bad.

I got the memory allocation issue to go away by setting CONFIG_SND_HDA_PREALLOC_SIZE=2048 in my .config
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saellaven wrote:

I tried my monitor with the built in speakers with an HDMI cable and still no success... I need to dig out a pair of headphones to plug into the monitor - maybe the speakers themselves are bad.

I got the memory allocation issue to go away by setting CONFIG_SND_HDA_PREALLOC_SIZE=2048 in my .config
That's what I have for that CONFIG_SND_HDA_PREALLOC_SIZE value...which I think is suggested in the Gentoo AMDGPU wiki. I'm just going with an HDMI connection at least for now...no disadvantages of that I suppose. The DisplayPort cable I was using was the one that came with the monitor (and they even "recommend" using the enclosed cables) but who knows...that may not be too great I suppose.

Really odd that you're HDMI still doesn't work. I'm almost sure that the device you're testing (0,3) is correct. With the nVidia card on my MythTV frontend, the HDMI devices (on card #1 in that case) are 3, 7, 8, and 9, and 1,9 (the last) is the one that works. So if yours are 0 through 3 then 0,3 would make sense. Let me know if there's anything from that system you'd like to see.

Tom
Buffoon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is odd, I have my monitor connected to a DVI port and when I send sound to DVI port my monitor speakers work. I tried it once for fun and was surprised ...
saellaven
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tld wrote:
saellaven wrote:

That's what I have for that CONFIG_SND_HDA_PREALLOC_SIZE value...which I think is suggested in the Gentoo AMDGPU wiki. I'm just going with an HDMI connection at least for now...no disadvantages of that I suppose. The DisplayPort cable I was using was the one that came with the monitor (and they even "recommend" using the enclosed cables) but who knows...that may not be too great I suppose.

Really odd that you're HDMI still doesn't work. I'm almost sure that the device you're testing (0,3) is correct. With the nVidia card on my MythTV frontend, the HDMI devices (on card #1 in that case) are 3, 7, 8, and 9, and 1,9 (the last) is the one that works. So if yours are 0 through 3 then 0,3 would make sense. Let me know if there's anything from that system you'd like to see.

Tom

poking around cat /proc/asound/card0/ and friends, I'm certain 0,3 is my monitor as well...

There are two possibilities I still need to test when I get a chance
1) sound is going to the monitor but the speakers are broken (I just need to plug headphones into the jack on the monitor to test that)
2) I have a dual monitor setup and my other monitor doesn't have speakers at all... maybe the card is confused and is piping it to the wrong monitor even though the one with the speakers is set up as my primary display.
Buffoon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
maybe the card is confused and is piping it to the wrong monitor even though the one with the speakers is set up as my primary display.

Audio is not sent to a particular monitor, it is sent to a particular port. Displayport, HDMI, even DVI as I learned. You have to make sure you send audio to correct port, the one which has monitor with speakers connected. Being primary for video has absolutely nothing to do with it. It even has nothing to do with Xorg, you can use audio in HDMI and displayport without X, this is a kernel functionality. The same way some folks think touchscreen is part of monitor. It is not, it is an input device. It is only attached physically to monitor. The same way the speakers are separate from monitor electrically, they just happen to be in same casing and use the same cable.
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buffoon wrote:
Quote:
maybe the card is confused and is piping it to the wrong monitor even though the one with the speakers is set up as my primary display.

Audio is not sent to a particular monitor, it is sent to a particular port. Displayport, HDMI, even DVI as I learned. You have to make sure you send audio to correct port, the one which has monitor with speakers connected. Being primary for video has absolutely nothing to do with it. It even has nothing to do with Xorg, you can use audio in HDMI and displayport without X, this is a kernel functionality. The same way some folks think touchscreen is part of monitor. It is not, it is an input device. It is only attached physically to monitor. The same way the speakers are separate from monitor electrically, they just happen to be in same casing and use the same cable.
I agree as to the fact that the HDMI/DisplayPort audio has nothing to do with X...I can run things like speaker-test ssh'ing into a machine for example. What confuses me is the part about the audio going to a specific port. I don't get how that would get controlled and would sort of expect the audio from that card to just get sent to any/all HDMI or DisaplyPort outputs...and that the monitor(s) that are connected would either use it or not.

Then again I've never had any sort of multi-monitor setup.

Tom
Buffoon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you can do it if you mess with ALSA setup, but by default it is sent just one port, the one you have chosen. Makes sense to me, I definitely do not want to mix up different inputs and outputs. As a matter of fact it would be quite horrible if I want to send a particular stream to my TV which is connected to my displayport and it would start coming also from my PC speakers. No, thanks but no thanks. Or if I have two TV sets connected showing different program, two sounds mixed together would sound nuts.

Code:
$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC892 Analog [ALC892 Analog]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 9: HDMI 3 [HDMI 3]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 10: HDMI 4 [HDMI 4]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 3 [HDMI 3]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 10: HDMI 4 [HDMI 4]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 11: HDMI 5 [HDMI 5]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 12: HDMI 6 [HDMI 6]

These are all ports, not monitors. They all exist in chipset, some are in back panel, some are not and therefore cannot be used. Unless you take a soldering iron and start messing with circuits, adding physical ports. :P
saellaven
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plugged in a pair of headphones to the monitor and I have audio...

in the realm of stupidity, there's a headphone jack in the back of the monitor (super "convenient" to hide it behind the monitor, making it "easy" to plug/unplug and using up 2 feet of cord, when 6 inches away, there's a full audio header on my desktop) and the monitor advertises volume controls... but doesn't actually have speakers. *facepalm*

So, that solves my problem...
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saellaven wrote:
the monitor advertises volume controls... but doesn't actually have speakers. *facepalm*.
No WAY! That's insane....*two-handed-facepalm*.

Yea..it seems that all monitors have the headphone jack in a spot on the back of the monitor that just about makes you do a headstand on your table to plug it in...horrible.

Tom
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buffoon wrote:
Well, you can do it if you mess with ALSA setup, but by default it is sent just one port, the one you have chosen.
To be clear, I was referring to the physical HDMI and DisplayPort ports on the graphics card, not the devices reported by alsa. That is, I assumed that audio would get sent to all the physical ports. Are you saying that's not the case? If so, when you say "the one you have chosen" I don't know what you're referring to.

Tom
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update: I was able to get audio from my DisplayPort as noted at the end of this thread...NOTE how the speaker-test program burned me there. The "-D 0,8" option gave me nothing even though that IS the correct device for the DisplayPort apparently:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8559682.html#8559682

Tom
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: