crossdev problem on amd64
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jstelly
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:33 am    Post subject: crossdev problem on amd64 Reply with quote

I'm trying to build an i686 toolchain on my amd64 and I get the following errors.

Command used:
Code:
crossdev --arch=i686 --vbinutils=2.14.90.0.8 --vgcc=3.3.2 --vglibc=2.3.2-r9 --vheaders=2.6.1

Errors:
Code:

* >>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
 * >>> Stage 1: Preparation
 * >>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Unpacking /usr/portage/sys-kernel/linux-headers/linux-headers-2.6.1.ebuild...
>>> md5 src_uri ;-) linux-2.6.1.tar.bz2
>>> Checking linux-2.6.1.tar.bz2's mtime...
>>> Not marked as unpacked; recreating WORKDIR...
>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Unpacking linux-2.6.1.tar.bz2 to /var/tmp/portage/linux-headers-2.6.1/work
Makefile:405: /var/tmp/portage/linux-headers-2.6.1/work/linux-2.6.1/arch/i386_64/Makefile: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target `/var/tmp/portage/linux-headers-2.6.1/work/linux-2.6.1/arch/i386_64/Makefile'.  Stop.

!!! ERROR: sys-kernel/linux-headers-2.6.1 failed.
!!! Function kernel_universal_unpack, Line 97, Exitcode 2
!!! make mrproper died

* doebuild(): Call to /usr/sbin/ebuild failed!

From looking at /var/tmp/portage/linux-headers-2.6.1/temp/environment there's a line in there that's

Code:
ARCH=i386_64

I'm guessing this should be x86_64? I'm not really familiar with the emerge process other than as an end-user. Does anyone have any idea where the script is going wrong? From looking at crossdev it looks like it just calls ebuild to do most of the work.
Freespirit
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you had any more luck building the i686 toolchain on amd64? I'm stuck with a simmilar problem while building glibc.

Nikolaj
jstelly
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I tried building a cross compiler with crossdev, crossgcc, looking at those scripts, tons of stuff. I had absolutely NO success even getting the bootstrap gcc to build. So I gave up. It was taking more time to mess with all of that stuff than it would have saved me.

From what I found, the make procedures for gcc and glibc are horribly broken in recent releases, all the way from gcc 3.2 - current, and all versions of glibc from 2.3 on. Motivation to fix them seems minimal, so I think we're out of luck. I don't have the time to learn how the gcc build process is supposed to work, much less try and fix the problem.
thither
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried
Code:
USE=multilib emerge gcc

? ...and then using -m32 to compile your 32-bit code? I've used this successfully in the past, I don't know if it would be sufficient for your purposes.

If not, you might try out crosstool, if you haven't already. I haven't used it for amd64/i386 cross-compilers, but it does work for building amd64/mipsel cross-compilers; maybe it'll work better than your previous attempts.

Good luck...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: