Problem: Read-only File System
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:48 am    Post subject: Problem: Read-only File System Reply with quote

hello everyone,

I'm new to this gentoo forum, maybe it is my first time to ask question in a forum, I'm not an mother English speaker, so some sentences may be a little wired, sorry for that.

I got into trouble with 'Read-only file system', first let me show you what happened:

My laptop is Lenovo-Y430P, has two disks, one is ssd (/dev/sdb), and the other is hdd (/dev/sda)

I partition /dev/sda into /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2, /dev/sda3, sda1 is efi partition (vfat), sda2 is root partition (ext4), sda3 is swap partition, I do this almost exactly as 'Gentoo Handbook' tell me, except that I don't have bios partition, I think it's ok because it worked well.

Then, I installed Windows 10 in /dev/sda, I know it may be something stupid that I install Windows 10 after installing Linux, most people suggest that we should install Windows first for some problems. I install Windows 10 using the UEFI mode, so it used the /dev/sda1 (the EFI partition) too, after Windows 10 installed, I can only boot directly into Windows 10, and can't find Gentoo, that is, Grub 2 menu doesn't appear. I search for some solutions, finally I open Windows 10's command prompt, and type 'bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path /EFI/gentoo/grubx64.efi' and then reboot, it is solved.

#----------------------------- Below is the problem---------------------------------------

BUT, something WRONG happend:
First, in the OpenRC booting processes, something like '/dev/sda2 contain file system error, check forced' appear, and it checks for several seconds, then I can enter the login CLI (I didn't install X), and there comes the second problem,
Second, in the login CLI (before I login), Message 'This is (none).unknown_domain (Linux x86_64 5.4.72-gentoo) 18:26:38' appear.
Third, the /dev/sda2 is in 'read-only' mode, I can type 'mount -o remount,rw /' to make it writable though.
Fourth, /dev/sda1 didn't mount on /boot automatically, I can mount it manually.

By the way, I type 'make defconfig', 'make && make modules_install', 'make install', 'grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot --removable', 'grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg' in order again and then reboot to hope it can work, but it didn't work.

If I used a SystemRescueCD, and type the mount commands 'Gentoo Handbook' ask me to do, to mount /mnt/gentoo, proc, /sys, /dev, /boot and chroot, everything will be ok, I can 'emerge --sync', which I can't before I use 'make defconfig' to configure my kernel.

Does anyone have any idea, thank you very much.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Problem: Read-only File System Reply with quote

You have to call
Code:
fsck /dev/sda2

(possibly with some options) to repair the filesystem errors. The filesystem must not be mounted for this (not even readonly). Therefore, it is easiest if you do this from rescuecd.
dbl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Problem: Read-only File System Reply with quote

mv wrote:
You have to call
Code:
fsck /dev/sda2

(possibly with some options) to repair the filesystem errors. The filesystem must not be mounted for this (not even readonly). Therefore, it is easiest if you do this from rescuecd.

Thank you very much, this method does solve the 'Read-only file system' error.

Well, there are new problems appear, I can't connect to internet. I can't see my network driver, it is enp7s0 when I used 'ifconfig' before, but now even 'ifconfig -a' doesn't show it, what it show are 'lo, sit0', maybe I should reconpile my kernel use 'make defconfig' or 'genkernel'. Is 'make defconfig' use a .config file which Arch linux uses, is it worth a try, or there is other method.

Thank you again.
Banana
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it depends what you did use already. If you have used genkernel just follow the wiki page https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Genkernel
if you did it manually https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel/Configuration the use this.

PFL - Portage file list - find which package a file or command belongs to.
dbl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banana wrote:
it depends what you did use already. If you have used genkernel just follow the wiki page https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Genkernel
if you did it manually https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel/Configuration the use this.

Thank you, I think I misunderstood the 'make defconfig', it is a default kernel configuration, and need some changes, so I choose 'genkernel all' for simplicity, it works, and everything works well now.

The problem this time does take me some time, but I'm glad it is solved, I would probably choose to reinstall the system before, which often happen before. But as I want use Gentoo as a main system, I can't learn much from the process of reinstalling system, I need learn to solve problems, this is a good beginning. Thanks a lot.

Regards,

dbl
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: