[solvedish] NVIDIA legacy without app-eselect/eselect-opengl
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nagora
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:58 pm    Post subject: [solvedish] NVIDIA legacy without app-eselect/eselect-opengl Reply with quote

I do a little bit of gaming on the computer. More since the plague started

So foolishly I followed instructions and removed app-eselect/eselect-opengl. My old GeForce GT 610 which had been giving me 30fps on FlightGear instantly dropped to 3fps. Basically everything on Steam is unplayable. app-eselect/eselect-opengl has been removed so I can't go back.[/code]

Code:
$ glxinfo | grep direct

Gives me:
Code:
direct rendering: Yes

and my kernel (4.19.86-gentoo) has the CONFIG_DRM etc. settings.

The drivers (nvidia-drivers-390.138-r4) work - I've used them for years - and the hardware hasn't changed. How do I get my frame rate back?

Last edited by nagora on Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ionen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use it myself but 390 "should" work fine without eselect-opengl (I know many here use it fine), or at least on a single gpu setup for GLX.

Does need a small workaround but the ebuild should've installed it at /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/nvidia-390.conf already (may want to make sure it exists and there isn't old stale configuration conflicting with it -- in most situations it's the only file you should need in that directory).

What does vendor string say in `glxinfo | head`? NVIDIA Corp? or something else? Seeing Xorg.0.log may help.
nagora
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ionen wrote:
I don't use it myself but 390 "should" work fine without eselect-opengl (I know many here use it fine), or at least on a single gpu setup.

Does need a small workaround but the ebuild should've installed it at /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/nvidia-390.conf already (may want to make sure it exists and there isn't old stale configuration conflicting with it -- in most situations it's the only file you should need in that directory).
It's there and timestamped 22nd Oct, which is probably when I did the update.

Quote:
What does vendor string say in `glxinfo | head`? NVIDIA Corp? or something else? Seeing Xorg.0.log may help.

I get

Code:
glxinfo | fgrep vendor

server glx vendor string: SGI
client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI
OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.
Which I have to say I wasn't expecting.
Ionen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the nvidia modules even loaded? Perhaps built for different kernel than the one you're running or other simple issues. Xorg might have just fell back on mesa because nvidia doesn't work.

Edit:
If loaded then another explanation could be if the .conf workaround isn't working right, the Xorg.0.log would likely have a "Failed to initialize the GLX module", but would help to see a wgetpaste of it to see if anything else strange.

On a side-note, it's okay to move to LTS kernel 5.4.x if you want (compatible with 390.138-r4 as-is, but for 5.8+ would need patches). 390 will be supported by nvidia until end of 2022 so it's still receiving occasional updates for new kernels / xorg (just less frequent, I imagine it will "eventually" support 5.10 as it's due to be the next LTS). Not that this have anything to do with your current issues.
nagora
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I did have a "Failed to initialize the GLX module" and on investigation X was ignoring or overriding the module path in the etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/nvidia-390.conf file which was trying to direct it to load /usr/lib64/extensions/nvidia/libglx.so instead of /usr/lib64/extensions/nvidia/libglx.so

I made the latter a symlink for the former and now I have my frame rate back, albeit in a pretty jury-rigged way.

Thanks for the help.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: