0%  [ 0 ]
Other
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 9

jpsollie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:09 am    Post subject: Best inter-os filesystem Reply with quote

I built myself a new desktop gentoo pc.
I have win10 Pro on a SATA disk for software which does not run under Linux (medical stuff), proprietary hardware.
I have gentoo on a nvme ssd.
What would be the best filesystem to use on the 2nd (SATA) ssd (500GB) to be able to put both /home and c:\users up there (in a separate folder) so I could get files from the other os when needed? AFAIK, we have ntfs, fat32, exfat, and refs under windows, but all of them have their strengths and weaknesses.
What would you guys choose?
e3k
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are also ways to read EXT filesystems from Windows: https://www.howtogeek.com/112888/3-ways-to-access-your-linux-partitions-from-windows/

Flux & Contemplation - Portrait of an Artist in Isolation

Dr.Willy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mh. If you're really desperate for inter-os compatibility I'd throw in UDF. It was originally designed for DVDs, but can be used for any media, like pendrives etc. Not sure I'd use it for my /home though.
ulenrich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Mac-Mini 2008 - old one! So, I thought I needed Exfat for my media files to see with Linux and while booting MacOS. Turned out I didn't boot up MacOS more than once a year. Especially because Apple doesn't want to update my computer since the bluetooth version seems outdated for them.
So, I have an ExFat large for videos, pictures, texts and sound files on Gentoo:
I love seeing ExFat maturing in the kernel for a time now. I don't have any high loaded "traffic" on my Exfat partition (as it is for compilations etc). Just a quiet grave for all the media files I never consume again but didn't want to delete: ExFat is reliable for that purpose!
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most reliable is NTFS unfortunately... *once you rule out the unjournaled FS like FAT*)

Bear with me on this one. Windows can reliably read and write NTFS, it cannot do the same with the others... Linux can read a whole range of filessystem but cannot reliably write to NTFS.

So why suggest NTFS? virtual machine

Either put your windows needs into a VM or create a small windows2000 VM to run from within linux. then linux can read and write via SMB. it really is the only reliable method atm.

Now the latest insider Windows10 is suppose to be able to read linux native filesystems so the other way might be to run Samba from within WSL

in short abstract it away via a reliable transport layer - SMB
jpsollie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the vm is not an option though - whereas I admit I'm using windows <10% of the time, everytime I got something like "Oh, I got this somewhere in my linux docs", and "Oh, I should store this on my linux docs".
I can't virtualize windows, there is proprietary usb medical hardware which has drivers only for windows
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

then as I said, slim VM (say win2k) which only serves to provide a native OS to write to NTFS while in linux.

Need windows -> boot windows & have a slim linux VM to gain RW to EXT*
Need linux -> boot linux and have a slim windows VM to gain RW to NTFS
jpsollie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get your point ... I think.
Maybe I could use a USB pass-through driver to attach it to the windows VM? Does KVM support loading windows?
mrbassie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpsollie wrote:
I get your point ... I think.
Maybe I could use a USB pass-through driver to attach it to the windows VM? Does KVM support loading windows?

Yes it does.
Amity88
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
Linux can read a whole range of filessystem but cannot reliably write to NTFS.

Doesn't ntfs-3g write well to NTFS without issues? I've been using an NTFS partion as a common storage point between the two OSes for a couple of years now.

Naib wrote:

Either put your windows needs into a VM or create a small windows2000 VM to run from within linux. then linux can read and write via SMB. it really is the only reliable method atm.

So, you have a windows guest VM in a Linux install to access NTFS via SMB, but how does the VM directly access the disk partition? Shouldn't the VDI files be stored on top of a regular partition?

Quote:

Now the latest insider Windows10 is suppose to be able to read linux native filesystems so the other way might be to run Samba from within WSL

I wouldn't trust them to not deprecate it in the subsequent releases

Also... Be ignorant... Be happy! :)
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way is to keep the data somewhere else, like on a NAS and access it using smb, ssh, ftp, nfs, or keep it in cloud and access it through a browser.

Dual boot is so 2005.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put it all on Google Drive and use filestream
jpsollie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bones McCracker wrote:
The best way is to keep the data somewhere else, like on a NAS and access it using smb, ssh, ftp, nfs, or keep it in cloud and access it through a browser.

Dual boot is so 2005.

I know ... but unfortunately, there are some rare circumstances where this is still necessary, eg: when you are following high school, during corona, you often have to use respondus lockdown browser which won't run on linux nor inside a VM, so you have to work with windows (which is very sad, because it's actually a chromium engine)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: