nvidia-drivers 455.23.04-r1 and kernel 5.91
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elover
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject: nvidia-drivers 455.23.04-r1 and kernel 5.91 Reply with quote

Hi, I have found that the nvenc driver does not work in the 5.9.1 kernel

I cannot record with graphical acceleration in either h.264-nvenc or nvenc x265
Ionen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: nvidia-drivers 455.23.04-r1 and kernel 5.91 Reply with quote

elover wrote:

I don't use it, but that needs cuda/uvm, right?

While 455.x's uvm builds and "would" work with kernel 5.9.x, the kernel itself will refuse to load the uvm module due to licensing conflicts on some symbols (aka this is just politics). Not sure what solution nvidia may find, but meanwhile only option seems to be patching the kernel itself to be lenient again.
elover
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I compile with uvm and have nvidia-cg-toolkit installed

So don't open graphic acceleration in web browsers either? we're back to the past. I like nvidia less and less
Ionen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is irrelevant for vdpau, so that still gets used in browsers like before for decoding.

only cuda/opencl is affected
Ionen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like nvidia decided to warn about this, was mentioned on phoronix. Should still be fine for common usage (as mentioned in comments) but support won't be complete. Personally I already don't use uvm/cuda/opencl and have USE=-uvm so wasn't affected.

Patching the kernel should be a simple matter if really want to use 5.9+uvm though (not that I've tested it). If in doubt, just stick to 5.8.x for now given branch is (currently) still supported and receiving updates.

Kind of a shame considering this time around they actually fixed it to build with 5.9 _before_ 5.9 came out, but then licensing prevents it from being used completely :| I assume they'll re-implement some functionality in their own code rather than use those symbols, which understandably will take time.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Current Nvidia users can always vote with their money next time a GPU replacement is due.
elover
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
Current Nvidia users can always vote with their money next time a GPU replacement is due.

In December I had to renew my gpu and at the end I will go for an AMD. I was hesitating between 3080 vs. the next DMA that would be shown on the 28th of this month.
finalturismo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: nvidia-drivers 455.23.04-r1 and kernel 5.91 Reply with quote

elover wrote:

Problems with latest kernel is not uncommon with NVIDIA drives, usually the next NVIDIA driver release works by default, this is why i tend to use 1 kernel back from the newest.

Usually patches are released if the NVIDIA drivers is incompatible with latest kernel.

Sometimes you just have to wait, keep in mind being on Gentoo like this you are using the "bleeding edge"

Also note that many people stay on an LTS kernel for years, so it wont kill you to wait a bit :)
elover
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: nvidia-drivers 455.23.04-r1 and kernel 5.91 Reply with quote

finalturismo wrote:
elover wrote:

Problems with latest kernel is not uncommon with NVIDIA drives, usually the next NVIDIA driver release works by default, this is why i tend to use 1 kernel back from the newest.

Usually patches are released if the NVIDIA drivers is incompatible with latest kernel.

Sometimes you just have to wait, keep in mind being on Gentoo like this you are using the "bleeding edge"

Also note that many people stay on an LTS kernel for years, so it wont kill you to wait a bit :)

If it's strange in this, I've been with NVIDIA for 4 years and we always and almost always had to wait for a patch for two or three days. But this time it would be a month and a half more or less, until NVIDIA updates the drivers to a higher version. I misunderstood the message from the colleague, since I don't speak English.
Ionen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminder that >=455.28 (and 450.80.02) does work with kernel 5.9 without a patch as long as you don't need opencl/cuda (aka USE=uvm on nvidia-drivers, default off -- personally already wasn't using that before) or otherwise you'd need a kernel patch that let it work.

I am using it right now with kernel 5.9.1 (no user patches on anything), I can play video games and everything and haven't seen any problems.

nvidia probably judged it's best not to go into details and just told people not to use 5.9 while they update the uvm module, they also can't tell people to circumvent the kernel's licensing restrictions :)

Edit: was personally planning to wait longer before switching to 5.9.x but ended up wanting to test it to verify the situation
saboya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ionen wrote:
Reminder that >=455.28 (and 450.80.02) does work with kernel 5.9 without a patch as long as you don't need opencl/cuda (aka USE=uvm on nvidia-drivers, default off -- personally already wasn't using that before) or otherwise you'd need a kernel patch that let it work.

I am using it right now with kernel 5.9.1 (no user patches on anything), I can play video games and everything and haven't seen any problems.

nvidia probably judged it's best not to go into details and just told people not to use 5.9 while they update the uvm module, they also can't tell people to circumvent the kernel's licensing restrictions :)

Edit: was personally planning to wait longer before switching to 5.9.x but ended up wanting to test it to verify the situation

For me personally the problem is that without uvm you can't use NVENC, so I'll be sitting on 5.8 until a proper fix is released.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: