Setting the clock? (SOLVED..TBC)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:02 am    Post subject: Setting the clock? (SOLVED..TBC) Reply with quote

What is the best way to set the clock? I have taken the steps to make activate kernel modules for network time sync, but I must be missing the client software.
Would I need to next install the ntp package? And then configure it to synchronize with some server?

Last edited by LIsLinuxIsSogood on Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the network time sync in the kernel was for bootp, pxe, or something similar, where network is available at kernel boot. Standard kernel boot is usually slightly different.

If you're using systemd you should set up the builtin systemd-timesyncd (simple ntp client) to get ntp unless you need to distribute time to other machines on your network - in which you probably should run the full ntp.

If you're not using systemd you can use net-misc/ntpclient or the full net-misc/ntp, openntpd, or ntpsec. Pick one.
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Setting the clock? Reply with quote

LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:
What is the best way to set the clock? I have taken the steps to make activate kernel modules for network time sync, but I must be missing the client software.
Would I need to next install the ntp package? And then configure it to synchronize with some server?

Have you seen there is the System time wiki article explaining the In-kernel method and the OpenRC method and an overview of implementations?.
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

charles17, I've already looked at it and can make no sense of it at all. I guess I should have mentioned that too already, but it seems at times like these a wiki page like the one on System time (thanks for the link) would present too many options and not enough discussion regarding each one. I am however relieved to hear that I can just go about installing a ntp-client, since I do run openrc. Unfortunately the OpenRC section and In-kernel method sections of the System Time link appear incomplete at least to me.

EDIT:
I am unfortunately unable to find the package net-misc/ntpclient in gentoo repository ???

EDIT:
I did go through with net-misc/ntp installation and the service daemon seems to work fine, I wonder if it might make sense to leave turn on and off this service manually OR just run the program "ntpdate pool.ntp.org" in the future when I notice the clock being off by more than a few seconds. The wiki suggests some potential malicious paths that are opened up by running a ntp service. I will play with it and see what I can figure out.

Thanks for the help, marking it as solved...or to be continued.
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:
EDIT:
I am unfortunately unable to find the package net-misc/ntpclient in gentoo repository ???

Thanks for the information: https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/log/net-misc/ntpclient
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:
... OR just run the program "ntpdate pool.ntp.org" in the future when ...

Do not forget to write hwclock:
Code:
ntpdate pool.ntp.org && hwclock -w
pietinger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:

You have to emerge the package "ntp", it includes the ntp-client.
CaptainBlood
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May be worth reading: Compare...
Thks 4 ur attention, interest & support.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really don't want to install anything, seems that busybox also has an ntpd variant.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: