amd64 sata
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joshmead1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: amd64 sata Reply with quote

Im trying to find a distro that will let me install to my sata harddrive. I was wondering does the latest gentoo for amd64 see sata harddrives on install or am i going to have to figure something else out?
Kioshen
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are seeing sata drives. You have to make sure you enable sata support in the scsi's low level driver of the 2.6 kernel when you compile it. Here are the status of sata controllers :

Manufacturer Model Raid Type Status
    VIA 8237 Software Working
    Promise PDC202xx/PDC203xx Software Working
    Silicon Image 3112[a],3512,3114 Software In-Testing (See silicon image section below)
    Promise SX4000 (PDC20621) Hardware Working
    3Ware Escalade 7xxx and 8xxx Hardware Working

Go see this page for more info :

http://dev.gentoo.org/~brad_mssw/amd64-tech-notes.html
krakrjak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Promise PDC202xx/PDC203xx Software Working

Not sure about anyone else but I have *NASTY* errors with the onboard promise sata controller. I can see the disk, fdisk it and mount it, but the kernel oopses when writing to it for any length of time (like mkfs.ext3 or stage3 untars).

Who is having success with SATA in 64-bit native? What controllers? I'm curious if anyone else is able to use there promise.

On the upside SATA is perfect in 32-bit gentoo/mandrake/fedora/suse/RH9/debian I just can't make it work with any 64-bit native Linux distros yet.
Kioshen
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the promise controller on my asus K8V and I have no problem at all. I even made a software raid1 array with lvm in it. Talk about a major puzzle. Maybe don't put the promise controller in raid mode but normal mode. That could help.

Where do you have errors, when building the distro ? How did you setup your controller bios ?
krakrjak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well we've finally decided to just go with PATA for now due to time pressures to get the server up. But the problem is that under any disk activity using a 64-bit kernel + userland eventually(usually a matter of seconds) kernel hardlocks. Sometimes there is an oops sometimes there isn't but it is always a hardlock.

Easy way for me to duplicate it.... the disk has 3 partitions /boot, swap, / easy enough. /dev/sda1,/dev/sda2,/dev/sda3. All I have to do is run 'mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda3' and it fails very early in writing the superblocks.

Every time... Whether it's from a livecd or a working PATA installation. this is a PDC20378 the motherboard is a Tyan Thunder K8S (s2880). The drive is a Seagate 120GB drive.

Ideas??? I'd love to have SATA if only for webstorage/ftp mirrors
roarkh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about the Promise controller but the VIA-8237 controller on my MSI K8T Neo motherboard is working perfectly with a 120gb Seagate SATA hard drive.

hdparm -t /dev/sda# returns 45mb to 55mb per second transfer rates depending on the location of the specified partition, about 10mb per second faster than the results I was getting on my Athlon XP 2000+ box with Seagate 60gb EIDE hard drive.

-Roark
krakrjak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We went with a Western Digital 80 Gig drive that has an 8MB cache. It shows very similar speeds.

We will also add that drive's cousin the 250 Gig version soon as we put it into production.
BoW
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had problems with crazy failures and kernelpanics with my Promise SATA too, then I upgraded my bios and all problems was gone... (Asus K8V Deluxe)
krakrjak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No BIOS updates to try :( and no Beta BIOSes either..... Nothing but the basics for now, but in a few months I have a built-in 120GB SATA upgrade. I'll give it periodic testing while 2.6 is ironing out and hopefully one of the kernel updates will just magically take care of it.
VanDan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't got a SATA drive up & running yet, but I've spent a LOT of time googling about Linux support for SATA, and I've read some *BAD* things about Segate SATA drives. Apparently they are full of design flaws that have numerous 'workarounds' that are needed in all drivers for SATA controllers, but I'm not sure if they have been implemented in the Linux kernel drivers. Maybe your problem is because you're using a Segate drive?
krakrjak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That could be it.... Hopefully the workarounds make it into the kernel sometime during the early 2.6 releases.
Corona688
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gentoo LiveCD didn't detect my Silicon Image 3114 SATA controller, but fortunately I had an old 1GB drive handy. Installed onto the PATA drive and got things working, upgraded the kernel, and bam, the drive is found. Then I just partitioned the SATA drive, copied things over, setup grub on it, and changed the boot-order in the CMOS - I didn't even have to swap cables. :)

This was back in early January; I'd hope the LiveCDs have this included by now.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: