Possible to install samba without XF86?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Plaz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 6:36 am    Post subject: Possible to install samba without XF86? Reply with quote

Hi,

I've spent 1/2 of the weekend (so far) trying to turn a really old Pentium Windoze box into a Gentoo-based mail/www/samba server. All was going fine until I typed 'emerge samba' without the --pretend switch (note to self: don't do that again).

I didn't expect samba to require XF86, but it sucked it down and will probably be compiling it for the next several hours. I guess the printing system might need the fonts that come with the X server, but I haven't bothered to track down the actual dependency. Is there anybody out there who has a Gentoo system up and running without XF86? At this point, I'm just wondering if I need to leave it on the system once it's done compiling (if it ever finishes...) or if I can maybe kill the build and use some other magic incantation to install without the X dependency.

Cheers,
--Chris
Mnemia
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You definitely can kill the build in progress if it has not started to merge the stuff into your main tree.

I think you should look into USE variables if you want to compile Samba without XFree86.
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, if I'm not mistaken, something like -X or -Xfree disables XFree86 (in the USE variable)
Plaz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh! That makes perfect sense. Thanks for the pointer.

I have to say I really am enjoying my first experience with Gentoo Linux. After I finish getting this server set up, I'm going to wipe my unstable SUSE desktop system and reinstall it using Gentoo. These forums are loaded with helpful information. I was able to get my mail/samba server up and running rock solid; the only drawback is that compiling things on a Pentium can take a looooooooooooong time. Next step is apache...

Cheers,
--Chris
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: