Latest minimal ISO doesn't boot on Powermac G4
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shaos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:52 am    Post subject: Latest minimal ISO doesn't boot on Powermac G4 Reply with quote

Hi, I tried to install Gentoo on Powermac G4 using install-powerpc-minimal-20200424T183341Z.iso
Tried multiple times - different CD-Rs and CD-RWs - it is NOT bootable! I even tried boot from OpenFirmware - it can't read cd:
Downloaded install-powerpc-minimal-2008.0.iso - this one is bootable, but I can't install latest stage3 over it - it's too old...
ETeria
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had problems with the gentoo install-powerpc-minimal. When i boot the system pressing "C" it starts to load the livecd system and stops with the error message that can not find any hard disk. I used Finnix, a diagnostic system, it boots and is good for chroot in the gentoo stage 3 for build the system . Now i have Gentoo installed on my machine G4 .
https://www.finnix.org/Finnix_109_release_notes
GreenMateV3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a 2014 minimal ISO, but that's broken as well. All minimal ISOs in the last 3-4 months have been broken.
I managed to install using a void linux live iso, but I had to extract mac-fdisk from a minimal iso of gentoo and copy it to the void live usb.

The error about not being able to read cd: means you messed up something in OpenFirmware. Just use a USB drive to boot from, and find the elf file to boot with "dir usb0/disk@1:,\" or "dir usb1/disk@1:,\"
severs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about cdroms, but if you use dd to create a live USB, then you have to delete the partition that is created in the process. See https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook_Talk:PPC/Installation/Base
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: