ATP876-based SCSI card causes hangs on boot on X570
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
salfter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 4:53 am    Post subject: ATP876-based SCSI card causes hangs on boot on X570 Reply with quote

I have some stuff I want to read off some old SCSI hard drives, so I dug up a narrow SCSI PCI card (a Siig AP-10 v3) that I'd bought some time back. (Windows XP is apparently the last Windows version supported by the vendor, if that gives a clue as to age.) Linux, OTOH, should still work with it as long as your kernel's built with CONFIG_SCSI_ACARD.

My home desktop these days, though, has no PCI slots (motherboard's an MSI X570-A Pro, running a Ryzen 7 3800X). I figured a PCI-to-PCI Express bridge card ought to work, so I bought a StarTech PEX1PCI1 (uses a Pericom PI7C9X113SL bridge chip), put the SCSI card in the bridge card, and put the combo in a free slot.

At first, neither Gentoo nor Windows 10 would boot up with the card stack installed. Either would boot up with just the bridge card, so it appears to be OK. The SCSI card has a ROM that shows some messages at boot time, and I'm pretty sure it worked the last time I used it in another computer.

I then tried updating the motherboard BIOS. Now it'll boot into Windows with the SCSI card installed (it shows up in the Device Manager as an unknown SCSI card), but Gentoo still won't boot. Booting from the system SSD, it usually hangs right around the time the swap would be activated. Booting from the Gentoo minimal install image, I think it's hanging when it tries to load the driver for the card. (I'm speculating this is the case because when I removed the card and booted from the minimal install image, atp870 was the next driver it tried loading after whichever one was last before it got stuck on the previous boot.)

I'm currently running gentoo-sources 5.4.38 (latest stable kernel). Any ideas what might be causing this? I have some other systems around here (at least one or two of them even have a PCI slot or two) that I could use for this project, but it seems like this is something that should work.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

salfter,

You say that the SCSI card has a BIOS ROM.
That may not play nicely in an EFI system unless its in BIOS (legacy) mode.

The BIOS extension ROM on the SCSI card may need to be executed to initialise the card, before it even shows the option to run its on board menu.

Its a similar issue to running PCI cards intended for a PC in a SPARC U10. They work as long as any ROM on the card is not required.

Booting it in BIOS mode may work but Windows 10 does not support that by design and I suspect your current Gentoo install does not either.
I don't know if the MSI X570-A Pro motherboard has that option.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Anon-E-moose
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could also be bios settings, I know my asus board has a setting for allowing pci storage devices to be part of the boot process.
That may not be your problem but something to look at, if all else fails.
5.5.18 zen kernel, gcc 9.3.0, profile 17.1 (no-pie & modified) amd64-no-multilib, eudev, openrc, openbox, palemoon
salfter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
salfter,

You say that the SCSI card has a BIOS ROM.
That may not play nicely in an EFI system unless its in BIOS (legacy) mode.

One of the last messages before it continues booting is something to the effect that the card's BIOS extension is disabled because it found no devices.

I tried getting the card working in my folding rig this morning: an Asrock Z97 Pro4 with a Core i5 4690K. With the SCSI card in the bridge card, booting was interrupted. I left it running long enough to get a BUG message that CPU #3 was stuck, or something to that effect. I then pulled the SCSI card out of the bridge card and put it in one of the PCI slots (this board has two). It booted up, but it did something to the video cards (four GeForce GTX1070s) to keep the Folding@Home client from working with them. Also, while what I thought was the appropriate driver was compiled as a kernel module, it wasn't loading properly. Here's how it was showing up in lspci:

Code:
03:01.0 SCSI storage controller: Device 0191:8000 (rev 08)

(Whatever it did to the video cards was temporary; when I returned the folding rig to its original setup, all the GPUs fired up again like nothing had happened.)

I'm about ready to write off this card as not compatible with anything anymore. I found an Adaptec AVA-2902E dirt-cheap on eBay that should arrive in a few days. It's also half-height, and it has no ROM on board. For reading my Apple II's hard drive, it should be more than sufficient.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: