net.lo do i need to remove it from rc-config
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amon2501
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: net.lo do i need to remove it from rc-config Reply with quote

Hello. I`m okay with just dhcpd without networkmanager installed, so i`ve disabled it globally. After that i decided to review my dhcpd configuration. And i found that i actually have net.lo in my rc-config

Code:
$ rc-config list | grep 'wpa_supplicant\|dhcpcd\|net\.'
  dhcpcd                    default
  net.lo

Should i remove it from the default runlevel (as it written here about something wireless i think) or it`s okay to leave that interface as is?
pietinger

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: net.lo do i need to remove it from rc-config Reply with quote

Amon2501 wrote:
And i found that i actually have net.lo in my rc-config [...] Should i remove it from the default runlevel [...] or it`s okay to leave that interface as is?

I think you can remove it with "rc-update del net.lo default". (If you dont have a net-config-file in /etc/conf.d/net.xxx for letting the script do something (creating a static adreess or loading dhcpd), the script will just do nothing.)
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: net.lo do i need to remove it from rc-config Reply with quote

Amon2501 wrote:
Should i remove it from the default runlevel (as it written here about something wireless i think) or it`s okay to leave that interface as is?

Your listing shows net.lo not assigned to any runlevel.

What is your output of qfile /etc/init.d/net.lo?
I am almost sure it would go away on recompilation of openrc[-netifrc] and unmerging net-misc/netifrc.
Amon2501
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: net.lo do i need to remove it from rc-config Reply with quote

charles17 wrote:
Amon2501 wrote:

Your listing shows net.lo not assigned to any runlevel.

What is your output of qfile /etc/init.d/net.lo?
I am almost sure it would go away on recompilation of openrc[-netifrc] and unmerging net-misc/netifrc.

You were right

Code:
 $ qfile /etc/init.d/net.lo
net-misc/netifrc: /etc/init.d/net.lo

but i didnt set that +neifrc flag manually, should i really need to disable it now? It seems that it`s enabled by default in portage.
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: net.lo do i need to remove it from rc-config Reply with quote

Amon2501 wrote:
It seems that it`s enabled by default in portage. ...

... for no good reason. The USE flag in openrc provides absolutely no functionality except pulling in what I don't want.
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: net.lo do i need to remove it from rc-config Reply with quote

charles17 wrote:
Amon2501 wrote:
It seems that it`s enabled by default in portage. ...

... for no good reason. The USE flag in openrc provides absolutely no functionality except pulling in what I don't want.

well, openrc pulls in what is a default network setup scripts in Gentoo. If you want to go non-default way, it is up to you to disable it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: