View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zarhan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:05 pm    Post subject: [WORKAROUND] Any and all QT applications crashing on start Reply with quote

I have a very weird issue with my Gentoo box running as a Virtualbox guest after I last upgraded world.

All QT-based applications stopped working. This includes all of KDE, applications such as VLC and Wireshark and so on.

GTK apps (e.g. Gimp, Firefox) work, as do those using Xlib directly (e.g. xclock, xterm).

How should I pursue this? I tried running straces for a few QT apps and frankly, there is no common denominator. They just end with +++ killed by SIGSEGV +++ and nothing before that appears out of the ordinary.

The latest world update pretty much upgraded all of Qt and KDE.

Last edited by Zarhan on Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zarhan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can apparently generate a crash with a trivial pyqt example as well, borrowed from https://bugs.gentoo.org/677130

Code:
import sys
from PyQt5.QtWidgets import QApplication,QLabel

app = QApplication([''])
label = QLabel('Hello World!')
label.show()
sys.exit(app.exec_())

I get a crash at "label.show()".
Zarhan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I guess I should downgrade QT to 5.12, apparently someone else has same problem: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1105546-start-0.html
pourpier
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarhan wrote:
Ok, I guess I should downgrade QT to 5.12, apparently someone else has same problem: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1105546-start-0.html

You can downgrade to Qt 5.12.5 and recompile all your programs depending on Qt.
Or you can upgrade your version of VirtualBox to at least 5.2.32
Or you can install a Gentoo guest through qemu + kvm + virt-manager.
I installed Gentoo in a VM via qemu and I could compile programs depending on Qt against the version 5.13.2 and all are working so the problem is related to certain version of VirtualBox in combination with Qt 5.13.2
Zarhan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running Virtualbox 5.2.34, Windows 10 host, Gentoo guest. vboxvideo driver and guest additions are also working fine.

Anyway, masking qt 5.13 and recompiling everything fixed the issue for me (although that compilation took it's time).

My Gentoo VM has been working for more than two years, it's just that the latest updates to Qt broke everything. Also, emerging Firefox was also affected but disabling AVX2 fixed that one.
pourpier
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarhan wrote:
I am running Virtualbox 5.2.34, Windows 10 host, Gentoo guest. vboxvideo driver and guest additions are also working fine.

Anyway, masking qt 5.13 and recompiling everything fixed the issue for me (although that compilation took it's time).

My Gentoo VM has been working for more than two years, it's just that the latest updates to Qt broke everything. Also, emerging Firefox was also affected but disabling AVX2 fixed that one.

This is strange. DasGregor installed Gentoo in a VM with VirtualBox 5.2.32 and he had no issue at all with the programs depending on Qt (I mean the 5.13.2 version).
For Firefox I mentioned it here: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1092462-highlight-firefox.html
Maybe you could edit the title and put SOLVED in it.

Best regards
Zarhan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, not really solved, although I hope that next QT iteration (5.14?) will not break things and this gets resolved by then.
pourpier
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarhan wrote:
Well, not really solved, although I hope that next QT iteration (5.14?) will not break things and this gets resolved by then.

I've tried other distributions like Artix, Slackware current with Plasma and the Trident Project in VirtualBox and there is no problem at all: neither with Qt 5.13 nor with 5.14
The problem arises when you compile in certain versions of VirtualBox. With qemu I don't have these issues.
drizzt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pourpier wrote:
Zarhan wrote:

I've tried other distributions like Artix, Slackware current with Plasma and the Trident Project in VirtualBox and there is no problem at all: neither with Qt 5.13 nor with 5.14
The problem arises when you compile in certain versions of VirtualBox. With qemu I don't have these issues.

Hi,
interesting observation. I can support this assumption since I have 2 physical systems running latest kde with qt-5.14 fine and two virtualbox-6.1 instances crashing. I downgraded virtualbox to 6.0.14 and I am recompiling qt at the moment to see where the problems occur.

greetings

Update:
Tested down to 6.0.10. KDE/qt still crashing

Update2:
Bad news. Downgrading virtualbox to 5.2.34 and recompiling qt and kde didn't solve the problem.
xavier10
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same issue, and a virtualbox 6.0.14.
Has anybody found a way to resolve this ? It seems the older version in the current portage tree is a 5.13.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile it has emerged that building packages inside VirtualBox with -march=native is a problem.

See also: https://bugs.gentoo.org/704392
xavier10
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
Meanwhile it has emerged that building packages inside VirtualBox with -march=native is a problem.

See also: https://bugs.gentoo.org/704392

Thanks for your message!
For some reason, I was not getting the notification from the bug entry. For now, I had opted to remove all QT packages (as I found replacements for all of them), but I will try this if I need them again.

Is there much of a performance disadvantage in dropping the march=native compilation option ?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: