Looking for opinions on thinkpad t495
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
szatox
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject: Looking for opinions on thinkpad t495 Reply with quote

I'm going to get a new laptop and i think I found something that suits my needs, but it is somewhat expensive so I'd like to get a few opinions before I spend my money
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-t-series/T495/p/22TP2TTT495 (probably a different customization)
Anyone has this thing? What problems should I expect?
Is the trackpoint good enough to be usable (Ancient IBM trackpoints I had in my hands were awesome, dell trackpoints I knew were a piece of shit)
Does it work with docks? Information I found on that matter is very confusing and I'm not really into connecting a bunch of wires every time I come home (power cord, display, keyboard, mouse, webcam, headphones,). Also, since those docks seem to use USB-C (thunderbolt?) ports, do they require additional drivers?
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Thinkpad t400 and the dock was working well with a generic kernel, all devices in the Thinkpad and the dock where working. The trackpoint was working but not too easy to move the cursor with it. Synaptics must be use to set the keypad under X depending on the window manager or the desktop environment use.
szatox
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked up t400 and I think it pre-dates USB-C by a few years so unfortunately it doesn't say a lot about new docks support.
What was it about synaptics? It's a touchpad driver, isn't it? Or were there other bits of hardware that required it?
"Not too easy" trackpoint is more in range of "I don't like trackpoints in general", or more like "it wouldn't respond to a light push and then suddenly send the pointer right into space when I applied more pressure"?

Also, are there any other issues with core components that should make me reconsider? (Dunno, any issues with gentoo on ryzen 5 for example?)
duane
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the T495, but my brother had to replace the motherboards on every T480 his company owned within six months of purchase. He's avoiding lenovo in general now. It's a pity, because I have fond memories of my T61.
szatox
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to conclude this topic.
When I finally found a retailer in my country that offered the hardware configuration I wanted, the kung-flu found it's way to Europe and closed all the stores "for 3 weeks at least, so we can refund your payment or offer you something we already have on-site".

And that's how I ended up panic-buying T490s on top of my truckload of toilet paper (Can we have a trollface emoji please? Please please please?) instead of T495 I actually wanted.

Fail no 1: Intel CPU. Mitigations already active, but that trail of hardware bugs killed with software did not exactly encourage me.
Fail no 2: "s". Although I haven't had a chance to peek inside, I've found information that extreme mobility versions only have 1 heatpipe on CPU vs 2 heatpipes in "basic" (or "balanced") model. And boy, that thing could really use a bigger cooler. Disabled HT (Heater Threading :lol: ), which increased clock speed from ~2.2G to ~2.8G when building stuff. I'd have to put it in a freezer to get that advertised 3.9G though. Don't get me wrong, that i5 is still a pretty fast CPU. But there IS a trade-off to increased mobility.
Fail no 3: GPU is also from Intel. I wanted ryzen with integrated gpu for some casual gaming, but it's not the primary purpose of that machine anyway, so... Well, I'll try it some day. Once I'm retired, probably.

Not everything is bad though.
The screen is pretty decent (low voltage/high brightness), the case seems sturdy, the keys are big (the keyboard feels bigger than the one in 17" Dell I use for work) and require quite a bit of force to click, and I like strong feedback under my fingers.
USB dock - although not fully tested yet - appears to work out of the box (I don't get why its power supply has a different plug than the laptop itself though). I was a bit uneasy, since it's a rather weird USB device and could turn out to be unsupported, but there clearly is some hardware shim which helps with compatibility. Take it with a grain of salt, I only used a couple of things so far.
Builtin modem works. Haven't used it in gentoo yet, but ubuntu 18.4 livecd I used for installation medium detected it and easily connected to the internet.
It's also small, lightweight, and kind of pretty, in its simple, industrial way.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: