Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
New (unofficial) gentoo-1.2 iso with pppoe and pptp support.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jondot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 1:25 pm    Post subject: New (unofficial) gentoo-1.2 iso with pppoe and pptp support. Reply with quote

I had patched standard gentoo-1.2 cd in order to add rp-pppoe support during the first stages of installation.

(see https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=6922)

eugenesan wanted to do the same for pptp, we did it together.

So a patched iso with rp-pppoe and pptp binaries (as well as scripts for those israelis Bezeq users) will be on ibiblio soon. You are invited to test it and report if it works for you or not.

Check /install.txt for specific rp-pppoe and pptp configuration.

Only stage-1 is provided (I've forgotten again to add long filename support during the mkisofs stage, so the stage 1 will have stage1_i.tbz as name.)

But of course, you can use this iso to boot and configure internet connection and then switch cd to use gentoo 1.2, 1.3b stage 1,2 or 3.

For any specific questions concerning pptp, you can email eugenesan here eugenesan@msn.com or look for him in #gentoo irc.

The URL is : (not yet effective but will be in a few hours) http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo/distfiles/gentoo-pppoe-pptp.iso
Jondot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been told that for some the ppoe-pptp iso just doesn't boot. (For others, it boots just fine of course !)

The weirdest is that for at least one, and probably the majority I guess, the pppoe-pptp iso doesn't boot, but the pppoe iso is ok. (and there not much differences between those two !)

As I've never heard about any such issue about the pppoe iso, I would advice you, if you need pppoe, to use the one with only pppoe which is :

http://www.ibiblio.com/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo/distfiles/gentoo-pppoe-ix86.iso

I do not have the slightest idea about why it would work for some and not for others. That does seem quite the same issue than the one with the official gentoo iso some reported not to work.

And if you encounter any problem, please report !
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jondot wrote:
I've been told that for some the ppoe-pptp iso just doesn't boot. (For others, it boots just fine of course !)
This seems to be a problem with the images from Gentoo as well. They work for some, not others. I had problems with my Gentoo install CD until I burned it properly ;)
Jondot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a few remarks : there are a few typos in the /install.txt

I wrote :
Quote:

If you used rp-pppoe to connect to the net, it would be a good idea at
this point to emerge rp-pppoe :
# emerge rp-pppoe
(N.B. : if the emerge fails at the end of rp-pppoe with a sandbox violation,
don't bother. Emerge it a second time and it should be fine...)

The scripts under /etc/ppp will have to be edited again, or you could
switch to another console (not chrooted) and
# cp /etc/ppp/pppoe.options /mnt/gentoo/etc/ppp
# cp /etc/ppp/chat-secrets /mnt/gentoo/etc/ppp
# cp /etc/ppp/pap-secrets /mnt/gentoo/etc/ppp

you should read instead :
# cp /etc/ppp/pppoe.conf /mnt/gentoo/etc/ppp
# cp /etc/ppp/chap-secrets /mnt/gentoo/etc/ppp
# cp /etc/ppp/pap-secrets /mnt/gentoo/etc/ppp
kyron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to know how you patched the install CD... I'd like to patch some install ISO for a few of my friends to make their gentoo installation experience a lille more pleasurable...and also make sure the iso is up to date....

Also...did you by any chance patch an iso with gentoo 1.4 with pppoe (just downloaded the tarball and checked it's contents and I did get ppp stuf but no pppoe :? )
Jondot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyron wrote:
I'd love to know how you patched the install CD... I'd like to patch some install ISO for a few of my friends to make their gentoo installation experience a lille more pleasurable...and also make sure the iso is up to date....

Also...did you by any chance patch an iso with gentoo 1.4 with pppoe (just downloaded the tarball and checked it's contents and I did get ppp stuf but no pppoe :? )

As concerns the patching of iso, I do remember reading a post that detailed approximately the same steps as I did (but concerning isdn connection). Here it is :
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=9944

There is no gentoo 1.4 iso to patch yet, and I sincerely hope it won't, as it is announced that pppoe (with rp-pppoe) will be included... Hope they won't forget it.

It should be really easy to make an iso with 1.4 tarballs if that's what you mean but it is not really needed : you can boot with one cd and switch to insert another cd that is not bootable but that just contains the necessary tarballs.
kyron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jondot wrote:
As concerns the patching of iso, I do remember reading a post that detailed approximately the same steps as I did (but concerning isdn connection). Here it is :
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=9944

Kewl, will defenaly take this one down, will come in handy when I want to make a "boot it and leave it" installation CD (ie, boots from the CD and just goes on, using some data from the FDD for packages, make.conf and all ;-) )

Jondot wrote:
There is no gentoo 1.4 iso to patch yet, and I sincerely hope it won't, as it is announced that pppoe (with rp-pppoe) will be included... Hope they won't forget it.

Yeah...like I said, I grepped the content of the tarball...defenately ppp but no traces of pppoe... :(

Jondot wrote:
It should be really easy to make an iso with 1.4 tarballs if that's what you mean but it is not really needed : you can boot with one cd and switch to insert another cd that is not bootable but that just contains the necessary tarballs.

trying to make it easy for a friend of mine, a "one cd solution" ;-)

Here's a question (though I should try instead of asking this), but can I mount the iso image, copy a file into it (sayyyyyyy...a tarball containing utilities that I would need), unmount the iso and burn it with the added files?
Jondot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're in a hurry to install gentoo 1.4, please note that deepmind made an iso starting from the pppoe-pptp enabled iso, with gentoo 1.4_rc1 stage 1 ix86 tarball.

Here is the url :
http://gentoo.m17n.free.fr/iso/
mightygerm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 10:38 pm    Post subject: confused Reply with quote

ok, im kind of confusee, when you install this and you need pppoe support what changes in procedure from the install guide will you have to make? be through please becuase i am very newbie :(
kyron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: confused Reply with quote

mightygerm wrote:
ok, im kind of confusee, when you install this and you need pppoe support what changes in procedure from the install guide will you have to make? be through please becuase i am very newbie :(

By searching for "install and pppoe" with the engine, I eventually hit his thread:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=11359&highlight=pppoe+install

and in it...you find this procedure...:

http://lists.gentoo.org/pipermail/gentoo-newbies/2002-March/000117.html

You should be able to skip some parts of the procedure in the second link since you already have pppd (but I don't know about pppoe)
mightygerm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright, im still stuck. im at the # prompt after unpacking the tarball, but before using source. That mailing list file tlaks about the isntuctions for having another CD with pppoe on it. I have the patched PPPoe iso (1 cd) and im wondering where it is / how tto installl it.

Thanks!
mightygerm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for reference, im using the 1.4 patched iso.
Jondot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ok, im kind of confusee, when you install this and you need pppoe support what changes in procedure from the install guide will you have to make? be through please becuase i am very newbie icon_sad.gif

As I wrote, the installation instructions have been updated in order to explain the necessary steps to bring up pppoe connection...

You will find them having booted from the pppoe, or pppoe-pptp patched iso under /install.txt.

So, having booted : just do in a console
Code:
 less /install.txt
and you can switch to another console via alt-F2,3,4... Switching consoles, you will have on one the documentation, on another you will type the necessary commands to install gentoo...

Reading fully this thread, and the cited one (https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=6922) might be a good idea, too.

Hope this helps.
mightygerm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks so much, but I still havea problem. I can get adsl-connect & to run, and it displays

local ip: (correct ip here)
remote ip: (correct ip here)
Primary DNS server: (correct ip here)
Secondary DNS server: (correct ip here)

and it just stops there. doesnt quit or anything, just stays there.

I have my pap and chap secrets set like this:

mylogin * mypass

So i go back to another console and check /sbin/ifconfig -a
and it gives the that eth0 is up running pointtopoint, etc it looks good put it only shows 4 packets total in Tx

i try to ping www.gentoo.org , nothign happens
and when i tried to emerge rsync later, also nothing happens.
HELLPPPPPPPPPPp
mightygerm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I made a slight change to my pppoe.conf, now PING works, but emerging rsync still doesnt. ( i get a name resolution failed.)
mightygerm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEVERMIND guys - i got it to work. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!! THANK THANK YOU FOR ALL THE HELP I REALLY APPRICIATE IT.

GENTOO HERE I COME
Rambozo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have use pppoe for the installation of gentoo with the link kentoo have post :
http://lists.gentoo.org/pipermail/gentoo-newbies/2002-March/000117.html
Working perfectly!
iKiddo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightygerm wrote:
NEVERMIND guys - i got it to work. ...

Would you mind telling us how you solved it?
mightygerm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright after you chroot, open another console and edit pppoe.conf

make sure DNS=SERVERS, make sure your username is correct, and leave the rest as it is.

in pap and/or chap secrets ( depending on your authentication, if not sure use both) and change it to say

yourusername * yourpassword

then run adsl-connect &, it should start up and show primary ip, local ip, etc

then run /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up to make usre your eth0 is running.

then try ping rsync.gentoo.org
if you get replies then its all set.

good luck
frankjr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad now that there's an iso with the rp-pppoe utilities. When I installed Gentoo I had to chroot into another distribution (Debian) in order to install the system.
Jondot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankjr wrote:
I'm glad now that there's an iso with the rp-pppoe utilities. When I installed Gentoo I had to chroot into another distribution (Debian) in order to install the system.

That is still the best way to install gentoo... I made the iso in order to install gentoo as the first linux distribution on a new pc... Since that first installation, I installed gentoo 1.3b, gentoo 1.4_rc1 and another gentoo 1.2 crosscompiled to pentium... ALL in a xterm chrooted environment of course...

Btw, the livecd that will probably replace the iso's gentoo used so far do have rp-pppoe as standard. (I downloaded the first version dated 10/09/2002 and didn't have a problem connecting via pppoe... I had other problems though, the lacking of documentation among others : but there is already a more recent livecd iso it seems...)

I suppose my patched iso won't be useful much longer now, which is all I can hope anyway...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: