Gentoo on Bay Trail tablet
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ovoshi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:27 am    Post subject: Gentoo on Bay Trail tablet Reply with quote

Hello, I was trying to install Gentoo on tablet Acer Iconia Tab W1-810 and have some troubles. Minimal install CD amd64 boots as charm (given that this little critter has 32-bit UEFI with 64-bit processor, so it cannot boot Arch or Ubuntu), but it does not detect any SDIO devices, like internal "hard-drive" (I persume it's flash built-in into SoC) and WiFi (and no errors in dmesg related to SDIO, MMC or any device modules). What options I should enable in kernel, or what tools can help me on the way of installing Gentoo? And what flags for building are coolest in make.conf for this processor?
BTW those devices are connected neither by USB nor PCI, lsusb and lspci don't show them, looks like this bus is connected via GPIO or somehow else.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovoshi,

Welcome to Gentoo.

The internal storage is probably eMMC. That's a microSD card soldered to the motherboard.
In tablets they are often ACPI controlled, so you may well need ACPI support.

Bay Trail, or any of the * Trail SoCs, need the kernel PINCTRL menu to be active and then the correct * Trail option selected in that menu.

If you cannot boot a LiveCD (any 64 bit LiveCD will do) you need to do a two step Gentoo install.
Step 1 is to install normally to USB storage. Not the entire install, only enough so you can build and boot your own kernel.

Once your USB install shows your eMMC storage, you can copy the install there and continue normally.
There is no hard and fast cut over point. The "enough so you can build and boot your own kernel" is a minimum.

It looks like you have a 32G eMMC card. That may not have a very good life if you use it for Gentoo build space.
Consider splitting you install into two parts.
Part 1. The stuff you need to run Gentoo. Put that on the eMMC so you can always run Gentoo.
Part 2. The things you need to maintain Gentoo. Put that onto a USB drive.
This split maximises the eMMC life.

As none of the content of the boot media ends up in your Gentoo install, any one that works is fine.
The boot media is a tool kit you use to perform the install.
You may need to do
Code:
mkdir /mnt/gentoo
before you can follow the handbook.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
ovoshi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for quick response, I'll try it. I don't want to even try to compile anything on the tablet (maybe on very cold winter nights), going for making a portage tree mirror with binary packages on my home PC, is emerge still supporting -b option?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovoshi,

I have FEATURES=buildpkg whicd does the same thing.
The -b still appears in man emerge.

Beware CFLAGS mismatch between the PC and your tablet.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: