Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Module Dependencies broken w/ ModUtils-2.4.16?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott Frappier
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 5:19 am    Post subject: Module Dependencies broken w/ ModUtils-2.4.16? Reply with quote

Does anyone know why I get the following errors?

root@evangelion linux # depmod
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r3/kernel/drivers/hotplug/ibmphp.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r3/kernel/drivers/mtd/maps/sc520cdp.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r3/misc/vmmon.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r3/misc/vmnet.o

Now, I can understand vmnet.o and vmmon.o (not even going to touch on that crap), but I have disabled setting versions on all modules (like every post says to do), but I still get the following errors...

This ONLY started happening when I upgraded modutils to 2.4.16 (don't remember the previous version). Is there something I'm missing? I'm using the 2.4.19-r3 kernel as you can tell.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
:D Thanks!!!

Scott Frappier
steveD

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I upgraded to modutils-2.4.16 yesterday.
I only have 1 problem with the module i810_audio. The rest of modules loaded OK (without errors).
Scott Frappier
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

root@evangelion sfrappier # depmod
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r4/kernel/drivers/hotplug/ibmphp.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r4/kernel/drivers/mtd/maps/sc520cdp.o

It's getting better...I used the same config file, and it seems as if some of the symbols were added....

What are symbols? Are they basic interfaces to the kernel? So that modules can 'plug-in' so to speak? Why would they dissappear and reappear from kernel to kernel. I know it has something to do w/ the System.map file that is located in the kernel's dir.

What I should have asked in my first post is why modules have broken depedencies to the kernel? Shouldn't that never happen unless the module is brand new?

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Scott Frappier
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: