Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
trying to install onto scsi
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scoy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 2:42 pm    Post subject: trying to install onto scsi Reply with quote

im trying to perform a fresh install of 1.1a stage3 onto a 4GB Segate SCSi drive. when i boot up my scsi drive is detected and i am prompted to insert the modules aic7xxx and scsi_mod, along with natsemi for my NIC. however once the install boots and i setup networking, i cannot find my scsi drive. i try fdisk /dev/sda but it cant find it. i looked under /dev and founno sd* devices. i did find a folder /dev/scsi, but couldnt seem to figure out what was in there exactly.

is there a different naming convention under gentoo for scsi devices? has anyone ran into this issue? im new to gentoo and scsi, maybe im missing something obvious.

Thanks.
Beavis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an adaptec 29160 and i did a modprobe aic7xxx then modprobe sd_mod... i then found my disks under /dev/sda and /dev/sdb

beavis
scoy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 1:33 am    Post subject: scsi naming scheme Reply with quote

well i guess that means the naming scheme is /dev/sd?, and there is no /dev/sd? listed on my machine after i modprobe aic7xxx and scsi_mod. the scsi bios lists the hard drive on boot and the kernel detects it also, i wonder what the issue is. ill do some more messing around i guess. thanks for the help.

anyone else have this issue?
Damasz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't find my disks at install time either, I think a "modprobe sg" and "modprobe sd_mod" fixed this. Also load sr_mod if you have a scsi cdrom.

Good luck,
Gert-Jan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of Seagate SCSIs too... and 'definitly' you should modprobe sd_mod for disks and modprobe sr_mod for CDs...
as I couldn´t find them with fdisk too...
SchreibG
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem, if I test with tomsrtbt I can access the disks... The modprobe detects the controller with no problems on Gentoo 1.2 CD-boot...

I've done:

modprobe aic7xxx
modprobe sd_mod
modprobe sg
mknod /dev/sda b 8 0

And still can't fdisk /dev/sda...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: